CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

I may as well test the waters.

It’d be funny if PSA sold better than cbcs out if the gate.

But yes. Done with CGC here as well. I’m pretty much done with grading anyway
I may actually start buying already slabbed books to free them.

2 Likes

Agree 100%

I like Jim. He’s very knowledgeable with bronze and silver age history of characters. And even golden age. He does a lot of submissions to CGC
this time they got him pretty good, though. I tend to believe they messed up this one.

1 Like

Jim took a beating from CGC ooof

1 Like

“The cover was not cleaned” followed by “I dry cleaned the book myself”

Yea
 I heard that too a few times and kinda did a "huh?
Later on he clarified that the “was not cleaned” was pertaining to that wet cleaning and chemicals and purple light treatment that some devious folks still do.
(And CGC should catch)

Dry cleaning just involves cleaning the dirt off the comic with an eraser or absorene sponge. It sounds a lot more nefarious than it actually is. Done gently and carefully, it removes the dirt and soot without damaging your book and is virtually undetectable.

Jim cleans and presses his own comics but he’s not a professional presser. He would’ve done this hundreds of times on smaller bronze and copper age keys and would’ve never been dinged by CGC.

My guess on what’s happening here is that with a high value high grade book like ASM 129, it gets scrutinized by CGC a lot more. They would have to check for restoration, color touch (using a blacklight), check for married covers, perhaps looking at the comic more carefully under magnification, whatever CGC’s process is (I realize I might be giving them too much credit :slight_smile:)

Jim most likely got careless as he’s done drying cleaning so often and never really put a second thought into it. I have myself damaged some dollar bin books cleaning it and noticed I damaged the gloss on the cover. It doesn’t look natural. On the video Jim mentioned he didn’t even check for gloss loss and use a pad to buff it again after the cleaning. For a high grade book of this value I would be more stringent. Just my guess on what’s happening.

3 Likes

That is excellent insight.
My first thought is always to blame
 ahhhh
 you know who. :slight_smile:
But maybe they actually DID do their job this time with a high value book and caught something that normally would not have been caught.
Of course, I would say to CGC why they don’t do equal checks on books from the same era, but that’s a whole different grenade to toss in their backyard.

2 Likes

Cleaning from a conserved perspective means use of chemicals. Dry cleaning is basically wiped away foreign material without altering the original books.

2 Likes

If one accidentally removed gloss on the cover from cleaning, that’s just damaging the book. In no way is that conserving it. The grade should drop, of course, but CGC did not do their job if that’s what this is.

Conservation is adding tape or replacing/adding staples in an effort to prevent further deterioration. Not necessarily enhance the book.

More likely they just made a quick assumption, called it conservation, and moved on.

1 Like

I was so so so trying hard to give CGC kudos.
I actually typed something good about them; and then another excellent perspective shoots it to hell

:wink:

CGC grader’s notes:

Cover cleaned. Conserved 7.5 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Saw this on Reddit

Apparently a UK based graded. Possibly from the shop that sells them

Called Only Graded.

what grading company is that? Label looks sharp. The number needs to be a little larger but other than that looks good. That the new PSA label?

EDIT: I see it’s their own proprietary slab and grade. Interesting.

If you guys haven’t checked up on the CGC forum thread lately about the warping inner wells, it’s quite entertaining. It looks like it has taken another turn as it’s still going on and people there are really pissed off. Especially since their members have called and sent pictures to CGC and they’ve been getting back responses that this is normal part of their grading process.

CGC has been deleting posts in the thread. Now I understand if CGC is deleting posts regarding their lawsuit, or posting pictures of their competition, fine. But why would you be deleting posts about your own customer’s frustrations with your own quality control?

Lots of members have stopped submitting waiting for CGC to fix the problem but some members there are calling CGC a pump and dump company and telling other members to dispute their charges with their credit card company and do a charge back :open_mouth: (I imagine that post will be taken down too) Things are heating up.

I said it before I don’t believe that CGC is like teflon. At some point people will hit their breaking point. It really feels like CGC is on its final days. I can see the other scandals not affecting CGC since they have no competition but this time it feels a lot different. If the cases are damaging your books that’s a deal breaker for a lot of people. Word is getting around and a lot of places (youtube, social media etc) are picking up the story. The buyers are not going to want to buy slabs with warped books and by association the sellers wouldn’t want them either as it’s a big giant headache for them. Also factor in the downturn in the market/economy and things are spiraling out of control for CGC.

3 Likes

I’ve pretty much ceased submissions.
Combine their shenanigans with (what I feel) has impacted the value of their product and it’s like “why would I even do this game with them now?”

I can seemingly sell raw books in a perceived grade for more net profit than graded.
So why would a consumer utilize them, gain a stroke by using them, and settle for less $$$?

It’s gotten to the point where, other than 9.8 on some books, it makes no financial sense anymore

2 Likes

This is more of a PSA grading comment.

I’ve always watched that fellow who does the Comic Investment Videos on Youtubes (just here and there) as there are times he has decent insight. He has always talked about his father and clearly has dad was a big name in comics but I never/(and still don’t) really know who he is.

But apparently it is his dad that is the head grading (or leading the entire grading department) for PSA. Not knowing a thing about him I don’t know if that is good or bad.

I have seen a view other takes on this and comic dealers/big wigs in other media aspects stating it’s a bad thing and deal breaker because it is him leading the grading. Maybe that is just bad blood though.

Again, I know absolutely zero, just curious about the origins and background of the fellow who is clearly a big time player (or must have been) in the comic realm. Big enough to become PSAs big dog and lead the charge with their company.

2 Likes

I don’t regularly watch Swagglehaus, but I do generally watch his videos when he goes around a con floor and talks to dealers on their “state of the union”. In his SDCC video from the floor, he asked everyone about PSA and got polar opposite answers from a couple.

Coupled with the anecdote that PSA felt they didn’t need Steve Borock’s help, I don’t think that’s a positive.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say with PSA. It could go great and be impressive or be a complete mess.