CGC vs CBCS vs PGX

I must be stupid then, eh? :slight_smile:

I kind of look at it as CGC shitting in my food, but then giving that food to a fellow hobbyist for a nice little profit :rofl: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

As long as someone is willing to pay extra for a big ol’ juicy shitburger, I’m ready and willing to give them what they want

2 Likes

At this point I love CGC!
I buy graded books in the 8.5-9.4 range for deep discounts, crack them out, mark them up (I’m not shady as I grade what they were graded) and then let all the miracle worker, Voodoo magic, I can turn everything into a 9.8 super duper pressers buy them from me as they just “know” they can do better!!!

Folks won’t touch a graded 9.0 book, but they’ll buy a raw 9.0 all day long

It’s The Rumpelstiltskin straw into gold comic game!

4 Likes

You aint lyin.

1 Like

This is soooooooooooooooooooo spot on that it’s not even funny. Hobbyists are just so freakin’ OCD with their behaviors that they don’t even stop to think if what they’re doing makes sense. Kinda pathetic if you think about it

3 Likes

This goes beyond the hobbyists and describes most humans in how they go about life

1 Like

CGC put out another official statement (through CGCmike, hidden in the Inner Well thread in their forums of course and not a publicly made statement on their social media). I’m not going to post it here to dignify their gaslighting but if you’re interested it’s in their forum.

1 Like

Nice.

My favorite reply to CGC Mike’s post

I hope this company enjoys the previous 25 years of being the first choice because that is not going to be the case for the next 25 years.

4 Likes

Blatant lying / gaslighting right to your face is very much in vogue these days. Afterall, there’s no consequences.
Of all entities including individuals, businesses and politicians, I expect CGC to lead the charge. And they are indeed leading.

It finally clicked in my head at what they’re absolutely fantastic at.

1 Like

I’ll post it for others and future reference, so no one has to waste time finding it like I just did. Emphasis below is mine.

We have seen reports that some of the soft-plastic wells used inside of the CGC holder exhibit a curve when viewed from the side. After learning of this, we conducted an extensive review and found that the smallest well size, which is used for the thinnest comic books, is more pliable than other wells and, in some cases, will exhibit a slight curve.

Importantly, this curve does not cause any damage to the comic book, and it does not affect the grade in any way. The angle of bend required to create a stress line simply cannot be done within the CGC holder. In addition, very high grade comic books can still exhibit minimal stress lines according to CGC’s official grading standards.

We do not consider this slight curve to be a mechanical error that requires reholdering. Still, we are always listening and want to serve our customers the best way we can. We have found that our next-largest well size does not exhibit this slight curve and have started to use that well in lieu of our smallest size.

So to paraphrase CGC:

• The bending doesn’t damage the book. (O RLY?)
  • But even if it does it’s okay, because the grade isn’t affected and “very high grade” comics can have stress lines. (Sure, sure, just look at the prior 24 years of grades)
  • Even though we just said it doesn’t cause damage, we’re changing the well.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I told you, it’s pure gaslighting. In what way does bending a comic causing stress to the spine doesn’t damage it over time? Yeah, no damage here but we’re changing the well. Total garbage.

4 Likes

“Our lawyers told us to say this so we don’t owe you anything for damaging your books
.but now we’re going to change something so it doesn’t keep happening and people will soon forget about it like every other one of our recent debacles
”

IMG_3059

5 Likes

Ryan from Automatic Comics who mainly deals with golden age books says he has golden age books with the larger inner wells and he’s seen bends and spine stress on those as well.

1 Like

2 Likes

Didn’t someone said earlier in the thread that Cgc said they have identified a bad batch and has removed them so problem was solved? :joy:

They’re moving the goalpost now with this new statement. Should have another one in a few months.

1 Like

Neo made a good point how CGC sent out their statement on a classic Friday news dump :joy:
Totally forgot about that.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Props to their marketing department. That is funny.

2 Likes
3 Likes