Cheap(ish) Star Wars Spec

Hey, I thought this may be worth starting a thread to begin some discussion. For serious Star Wars spec the boat has already sailed. But I’ve been reading and searching out some possible future gems that are affordable now. (I am not a Star Wars expert so please feel free to come in and add or correct me)

The Force Awakens 1 - Start with an obvious one.
3 big first appearances here and I assumed an enormous number of copies distributed - Comichron has it as 79,626 which is way lower than i guessed.(Poe Dameron 1 in comparison was at 175,322 - Please correct me if that’s wrong as accurancy of information is important here.)

1st appearances are Rey / Finn / Kylo Renn

Due to what I saw as a high number of copies I’d been looking at the ratio variants and snagged a couple of the gorgeous Noto variants. The quesada variants being out of reach for many pockets now.

Star Wars 16 1988
1st Appearance of Beilert Valance who is in the Marvel Bount Hunters comics. Be careful as there is a reprint out there with the 35c in a diamond. I include the 1st print photo here.

Star Wars 40th Anniversary covers.
I think these will be a nightmare to find in 10/15 years. Some of the key issues like Darth Maul 2 - 1st Cad Bane have issues in this series. (As well as Rogue One 1 1st Cassian Andor, Dr Aphra 3 and probably lots more) A combination of sought out 1st appearance and a ratio qualifier for a shop to order will lead tofar fewer of these out there.

I also love this cover to Star Wars Sahttered Empire 1 by Marco Checchetto, although for speculation we’d need Poe Damerons parents to come into play.

Thanks to all who contribute on this forum, it allows me to stay a little ahead of the game.(I’m looking forward to the HIgh Republic pre-orders I made in early December arriving soon!)

What reasonably priced star wars issues are you squirreling away every time you find a copy?

4 Likes

Not even going to touch the Force Awakens comics. Disney will not be using these characters anymore.

4 Likes

Hey monopolyjackson. Do we know that for sure? I have heard a couple of people say something similar, but I know people who loved Rey and Finn, and I think Kylo Renn is a great character. I wouldn’t rule out TV/Movie or comics down the line but information is king. Why wouldn’t they be used?

Disney is more interested in telling stories from untold eras with new characters. Aka…new merchandise to pump out.
Plus, the actors have already stated they are done with these characters.

2 Likes

Well, anything is possible but they did seem pretty adamant in not using the characters anymore. I know the actors and actresses said they were definitely done, at least Rey was.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply, just the sort of thing I was hoping to hear about. I genuinely never thought I would see Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill in Star Wars again, but eventually it happened. I don’t see anything movie wise in the near future for these three, but with the popullarity of the TV stuff I could see some potential down the line.(Money talks) The actors are all so young it leaves the possibility out there. I liked the movies myself, but from reading seveal forums, I see a lot of true fans aren’t happy with them.
I know very little about the Dark Horse stuff that I can’t comment or make suggestions. From my own personal stash I have recently bought Cad Bane 1st app and cover. And I bought all the Dr Aphra stuff as it came out. Inititally for the killer droids BT1 and 000 and the Wookie Bounty Hunter - Black Krrsantan.I do love Aphra as a character though. I keep hearing about names like Darth Revan, Ahsoka and Assaj Ventriss, their 1st apps have skyrocketed in the last 6-12 months. There is such a massive amount of stories and characters for Star Wars that the possibilities are endless! With Disney+ it’s quite exciting if they can keep the quality high.

1 Like

Those true fans also weren’t happy with Phantom Menace and the two that followed… I think some just set their expectations on what they want to see and when it doesn’t happen, are disappointed. I think there’s a lot of high maintenance Star Wars nerds out there that are just gonna be hard to please no matter… the movies could end up as master piece perfect movies at all levels and some would still not be happy.

But yeah, anything is possible but I think they wanted to close out the Skywalker Saga for now and focus on the other stuff. Will they come back to Rey 30 years from now if she rebuilds an army of Jedi, etc? Maybe but we won’t know until it happens.

5 Likes

I want to read/see that story Poyo!!

Sadly, these have gotten a bit of focus recently (I say sadly, as IMO they were completely off the radar and grossly undervalued and I would buy every copy I could find).
I know the thread states “cheapish” but even now I think they are undervalued given the prices we are seeing on some of the other super obscure spec books.
I love all things SW, but am pretty bullish on these. Baron Fel is an incredibly cool character. Very complex, ties to Thrawn, ties to Rogue Squadron, married Wedges Sister, it just goes on and on. I love Bradstreet as well and these covers are so cool.
I also tend to like named characters that are popular outside of the mainstream, comics.
There are a number of troopers that portray him specifically in the 501st.
Imagine a scene in which an Imperial pilot completely destroys Rebels in a dogfight from a T.I.E perspective!
Anyway… we’ve discussed the others I’m bullish on with Cad Bane & Bossk being those I’m most confident in at this point.

1 Like

Great knowlege, thank you for sharing Devil Dog. And thanks also AgentPoyo and MonopolyJackson.
There are no #21s on the UK 'bay and postage from the states is a bit steep. The #25 is £40 , but I will keep my eyes out.
I am keeping an eye on some 2nd prints of recent comics like the 3rd print of Bounty Hunters 1, and 4th print of the Rise of Kylo Ren 1. Darth Vader 1,2 and 6,7,8 have a mix of cameos and full apps of new characters. The Eye of Webbish Bog in 7 (cameo) and 8 (full) seems like an incredible design, full of potential to me. There isn’t a 2nd print announced, but i’m primed and ready if they do.
There seems to be a real hard core Star Wars fanbase for comics , and a 2nd 3rd print can skyrocket in price.

2 Likes

after spike in prices of later printing of dart vader #3, i started buying up 5th print of darth vader #1. ist app of Black Krrsantan a wookie bounty hunter and aphra sidekick

2 Likes

Black Krrsantan is a great character, I have Darth Vader 1 1st print, Skottie Young variant and a Directors Cut. I also collect the action Figure variants. They will have their day…
1c1b02adb99d35adfbfba28a2569b65e

1 Like

Today’s Star Wars fans stink. Everything sucks. I guarantee that if Ep4 and 5 came out today, all the chatter would be “oh, they retconned Darth Vader. Now he’s his father?! What a disaster.”

The entire series is far from flawless. Some of Mando irks me, but I still want more of It. More of Rey, Kylo, Phasma, etc. too.

2 Likes

Umm Star Wars has been all wrong since the beginning lol

3 Likes

I think it can be very, very easy to get caught up in Star Wars Spec and it is an area where FOMO really is in high gear. I’ve loved (and collected) all things Star Wars related since I saw it as a wide eyed youngster over 40 years ago.

There are some of these books and characters that have gotten insanely hot, that I just don’t think will really ever come to fruition. I’m not saying don’t ride the gravy train if you got em…but I’m sure not gonna go crazy buying high either. Certainly exceptions to the rule…I’m not Nostradamus and just slightly above this post I went out on a limb over Baron Fel.

I don’t know…an example…all the sudden heat on SW #10 Outlander? Great book, cool character, I personally love it…but I would bet the farm that it never comes to fruition from a cinematic or series type standpoint. I can just envision the questions I would have to field from my wife if a Tusken ever shows up on screen as a Jedi wielding a saber??? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the meantime there’s some gorgeous stuff coming out. I mean if you started out collecting star wars, and saw these covers you’d want them for your collection.

2 Likes

The sequels were merely ok. Depending on your opinion, flat bad. The reason Star Wars fans are so passionate is because we love Star Wars and want Star Wars to be amazing, not just acceptable.

5 Likes

I love Star Wars and I enjoyed them all… I just accept things for what they are… I’m not gonna be that person that grumbly says… “I could do better job… blah blah blah” yet having zero movie writing and directing experience… :wink:

2 Likes

Alright, back to spec’ing Star Wars comics before this turns into a Current Star Wars Movies Suck, I could make them so much better type of topic… :wink:

3 Likes

I agree. If I watch TFA, TLJ, or TROS, I’m going to have a good time and enjoy the ride. I’ll just always wonder why they didn’t draw on Legacy, Cade Skywalker and Darth Krayt.

I’ll do a Star Wars spec data dump tomorrow.

For now I’ll just say that Aphra and High Republic are fertile ground.

1 Like