Cheap(ish) Star Wars Spec

Correct. Dark Horse never owned any of the ownership rights in the copyrighted Star Wars content. Merely a license to produce and reproduce. That license ended when Disney bought Lucasfilm and the license expired. It now lies with Marvel and IDW.

1 Like

That’s what I thought it was… probably same deal with Alien that is now back in Marvel/Disney’s hands…

1 Like

Here are a few, but happy to hear from others.

Volume 1 we have one of the main ones
Issue 3 - Magna Tolvan - The ratio vartiant is hard to find.

Doc APhra ![s-l400|263x400]

Annual 2 - Winloss and Nokk - 1 cover has them on it.
images index
(i may have missed some 1st apps so feel free to add)

A couple more in my next post.

Volume 2
Issue 1 has several cool new characters includng Ronen Tagge, Detta Yao, Eustacia Okka, Droid TA-418 and Just Lucky.

I’ve had a heck of a time finding a perfect copy of that Aphra Annual 2…they always have color rubs, ink issues for me. Especially along the spine.

1 Like

Last but not least… Sanna Starros
Marvel Star Wars Vol 2
Issues 4,5,6 Sanna Starros Mixed bag of first apppearances, i don’t know which is best. Named in 6.

4 has a second print that some are asking a premium for.
I like the cover to Star Wars 9 Vol 2 and there is and there is a lovely Stuart Immonen 1:100 sketch. Struggling to find an image I can use though.

1 Like

Thank you to all who’ve kept the conversation going, for the knowledge and reading suggestions.

Yeah, if Fox had a license to the Alien property then that could be correct. I’m not sure if Fox owned or licensed it. Disney also could have directly purchased the ownership directly from whoever was licensing to Fox. We don’t know. It may not have even been part of the Fox purchase. Maybe Fox had the license, but Disney bought ownership anyway.

I’m not as familiar with the Alien licensing set up as I am with Star Wars. Maybe there’s some reliable documentation and reporting out there in the public.

I used to have that Star Wars #16 at the very top. Had it since release in 1978. I colored in the title Star Wars with pencil lol

1 Like

A one of a kind AngryMrBungle piece of art? Sell sell sell… :wink:

2 Likes

You mean the print run is 1?!? Quick, call ComixBookzExxcluzivez!

3 Likes

@AceGarp
I see in the new Marvel Previews they have an upcoming Knights of the Old Republic Omnibus coming!!!
That will be an amazing item. Perfect timing & I’d highly recommend it.
Do some searching and you’ll find a good deal. I buy omnibus items from DCBS and they are usually half off.

2 Likes

Just picked up several copies of 6-17 plus annual #1. Going to do some research but I second the motion that between Darth Vader and Dr. Aphra series there needs to be a spec worthy book list other than the obvious ones noted above. A lot of these books are sitting in $1 bins.

1 Like

IDW has a lot of Star Wars Adventures books at cover on their website BUT shipping was very high to TX.

1 Like

Darth Vader (vol. 1 Marvel) #1. If Aphra is around, Black Krrsantan (I never spell that right) is sure to be close. I like him because he also fits in the Kenobi series as well as Mando. In Star Wars, Kenobi faces off with BK and gives him his face scar while watching the Lars homestead on Tatooine. If Aphra shows up In Mando, that’s two shows with one character filling two arcs. Just throw Joonas Suotamo in the black suit and you’re off to the races.

3 Likes

I tracked down an Aphra Annual 2 today for below cover. Also got a Star Wars vol. 1 #71. Not sure speccy, but who doesn’t love the first full appearance of Bossk!?!!?

I sense the need an Alana-esque main site post of all things Aphra.

2 Likes

Love this forum… we’re all in tune with each other lol.
These all came in the mail today. All really nice copies & I found them cheap searching Amazon.
I know many hate Amazon for comics, but I’ve had some amazing finds/deals there. It’s just a hassle searching.

2 Likes

Damn…been searching all over and didn’t think to check Amazon…

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s on my radar with DA3. So many variants though. The 4th print is the one to get and is steeply climbing now.

Chu effect.

Should move this to the lounge. :wink:

3 Likes

There are a few books that I’ve been frantically buying up…as they are poised to blow.

Star Wars Tales of the Jedi - Sith War #6 : 1st app of Mandalore the Ultimate
Star Wars Tales of the Jedi - Dark Lords of the Sith #1 : 1st app Exar Kun
Star Wars Tales of the Jedi - Dark Lords of the Sith #6 : Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma become Sith Lords
Star Wars Tales of the Jedi - Golden Age of the Sith #2 - 1st app of KEY Sith Lords Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow
Star Wars Tales #21 - 1st app of Kyle Katarn

Few others I am onto as well…but these are poised to have their day

2 Likes