Comic Convention Finds

Rose City Comic Con Portland, Sept 2023

art adams-signed xmen cover and a couple modest yet high-grade bronze-age books (trek issue is #50). but my fave is that i had brian stelfreeze sign my copy of bp #1 which had arrived from midtown comics with an unlisted, surprise signature by ta-nahisi coates on the cover. potentially the only copy of that issue which is artist and writer signed?

these 4 are all signed by the artist, Chris Warner. love the cover for #2. #1 and both #2s may be 9.8s

a few other random things

my first page of original comic art, asm (2014) #1.1, pg. 8 by ramon perez

and finally, couldnt pass this up for $1450

thanks for looking

3 Likes

I have that issue of Black Magic. Kind of a classic. That story “head of the family” has been printed elsewhere several times. People are pushing Bronze Age horror as the next big thing, which I hope to be true as I have been collecting Bronze Age horror for years and said on several podcasts that it is underrated.

2 Likes

What made you buy the Star Trek gold key?

I love GK Star Trek. Even in lower grade. The photo and painted covers are great.I used to find them in $1/$2 bins. Not anymore.

1 Like

i tend to buy high grade gk superhero/scifi titles whenever i see them, which is rarely. always on the lookout but i’ve found that even mid-high grade copies of solar, magnus, etc, are hard to come by.

1 Like

I have no issues with pedigrees being notated on the label but they shouldn’t be allowed to have anything other than that. I’d stay away from those books simply because the labels hideous.

1 Like

Certainly respect that opinion!
I do agree that I think it sets sort of a strange precedent.
The same goes with the “Bobby Blue” collection.
Neither of the collections are technically “pedigrees” yet they are essentially being treated that way.
I also struggle with how involved Matt Nelson and CGC are with the owners, collections, process.
In my opinion the (any) grading company should have zero involvement with the collections/owners/process, selected books aside from…give us your $$$$ and we will grade them. That’s it… nothing more.

Yes…these two collections were incredible…but we all know there are likely many more unearthed collections out there.

2 Likes

It really comes across as an ad for the documentary. I understand using his online handle as the name but including the name of the movie is really strange.

I was at a convention today and witnessed something wild. A vendor was set up who had never done that show before and lived locally but got a little table. I was there early as I get in before the general crowd thanks to being press. I said hello to one of my friends with a table and he encouraged me to go to this new guy’s table where everything was a buck because there were wild finds. It looked busy with other vendors and volunteers digging and he called it a, “Feeding frenzy,” before mentioning he got a midgrade, “Secret Wars 8,” for a buck.

I went over and found a spot to dig. It was madness. People pulling pricey books out the guy wanted a buck for. He said he just wanted them all gone and was happy to sell them cheap. Perhaps he bought storage units, maybe he acquired these comics some other random way? I don’t know, but people were getting the Catwoman Hughes cover where she’s under arrest, a friend got a Thundercats debut issue from the first run in newsstand. I grabbed the four issues from Batman: Year One as well as the four from Death in the Family. I also got Iron Man 150, a great Doom cover. I grabbed a stack of early Eternals issues, Spectacular Spider-man 90 as well as 101. Those are just the highlights of my stack I was able to get my hands on before someone else grabbed something.

Everyone was polite and chill who was digging–again, this was before the show opened so this was vendors who generally work with each other to some degree or know me as I do press at a lot of local shows. This man said he had more stuff at home to unload sometime for cheap. I gave him my business card and told him not to hesitate to call (other folks gave him cards too so I’m not holding my breath that he calls, but a boy can dream).

So yeah, that was utterly crazy to witness in an era where folks generally OVERPRICE books at shows or such. It was fun enough I resuscitated our topic here!

10 Likes

Wow! Thats crazy cool…

Not comic related, but I went to a local retro game store and saw a guy come in with a lot of stuff. He had a ps1 that didnt work. So I asked him if I can buy it off of him for parts. He just gave it to me. Which was crazy cuz even for parts, people want $ for the ps1. I thanked him and so did my wife. As she was the one who used clorox whipes to clean my ps1. Which bleached and yellowed the console. I also got a classic NES mini and the employee gave me the carring case for free and gave us a Zelda tin and a Zelda carring case for the switch. All for free. Man nice people are hard to find now a days.

2 Likes

Also just a 411. If you have a classic NES mini, you can use the original wii classic controller to go back to the home screen instead of pressing the reset button on the NES.