Comic Picks of the week 11/29/23

Does he have it all planned out? He says he does, but its been very mediocre since it returned from hiatus. Its aimless and boring.

Do young kids actually read new Marvel and DC comics anymore?
I donā€™t know of one child/teen anymore that is into comics that doesnā€™t mention the value aspect 1st and foremost (be it accurate these days or not about ā€œvalueā€)
Does anyone know of a child/pre-teen/teen that puts the love of the Marvel/DC story and art of the comic 1st over $$$ and canā€™t wait for the next month story? Thatā€™s how many of us (most?) got started.

I am considerably concerned about the future readership of new readers to continue this hobby for a long long long time. Particularly in the Marvel/DC superhero realm.
Not good imo

1 Like

Mostly economic, as I used to use money from sales to buy more booksā€¦so as that well has practically run dry Iā€™ve become extremely picky. But if there were better stories Iā€™d definitely buy more too.

Since the funds are tight, product is lacking, Iā€™m leaning toward bronze and silver books to spend my funds as books that Iā€™ve wanted for years are within striking distance now.

3 Likes

Frankly the market demanded comics be made geared towards an adult audience. Marvel and DC both have some books aimed towards a younger audience. My LCS has a section of them.

My oldest who just turned 18 has been reading Moon Knight since he turned into a huge Moon Knight fan after the show. He doesnā€™t give two shits about value of comicsā€¦ He just wants to read about Moon Knight.

6 Likes

When I started reading comics, I hit the tail end of McFarlane on AMZ and then continued with Larsen and Bagley. I couldnā€™t wait for the next issue to come out. Same with McFarlaneā€™s own Spider-man title and then Spawn. I remember reading the latest issue and then thinking how long it was going to take to get the next one. I donā€™t see a whole lot of that now. Some of these comics are so bad I actually dread the next issue and look forward to skipping it in hopes a better story is coming. With the collapse of the MCU and the current junk in comics (the X-men stuff is unrecognizable these days), I donā€™t see kids getting hooked on this. No nostalgia = no future. I had a conversation with one of the comic shop workers about the current stories. We joked ā€œremember when bad guys wanted to rob banks or steal high tech equipment? Now they always want to destroy the entire galaxy or create a universe apocalyptic eventā€.

6 Likes

All of this.

1 Like

Spider-Boy has 10 year old subscriber with a hold-box and friends that are picking up #1 off the shelf. Thereā€™s a teen girl picking up several DC titles and a couple Image. If you want to get kids started, start kids early. PRH and Diamond carry Little Golden Books. We currently stock over 600 different ones. You have to invest in the market to grow readers to replace the 70 year olds. Little Golden Books come with a wide variety of classics and current movie favorites as well as super heros. The Harder stiff pages on some of them cater to beginners. Some of the manga and Web tunes type offerings the teens seek outsell most comics. Diversify your offerings, which PRH makes it easy to do and youā€™ll gradually build a new market to replace the adults your losing.

2 Likes

The X-Men books are good and among Marvels best sellers.

I remember when (oh boy) a comic book was not all art and actually contained some dialog for 21 pages. It took me a good 30 minutes to read a single issue. All for $1. I got $5/week allowance and that was just enough to grab the books I wanted to read each week.

Now, I can read an entire 6 issue arc in about 45-60 minutes. And Iā€™m paying $25 for that, whether it be the individual issues or TPB.

According to my research, a $1 in 1990 is worth $2.30 today. So why am I paying double the price for 1/3 of the entertainment than I was for n 1990?

I donā€™t know what young teens get for a weekly allowance these days. But I donā€™t think itā€™s $25. And if it was, I donā€™t think theyā€™re going to spend it on a $5 comic book thatā€™s a 10 minute read.

My point is, I feel that comics have basically priced themselves out of the younger market. If us older folk who have jobs are complaining about price points, kids are definitely it buying them either.

My car also got 40 rods to the hogs headā€¦

4 Likes

I think publishers are only dooming themselves. Comic prices arent going down, but upā€¦

$3.99, sure

$4.99, no

$5.99, NO

$6.99, f&^k off !!!

5 Likes

Then they are not going to be economical to print and will go away. I remember when gas was $1.25 a gallon too. Member berries are dangerous.

and more words in a comic doesnt make it better. Most old comics had far more text than what was needed to tell the story. I skip the editorial boxes a lot of times when I am reading older stuff.

1 Like

Back in my day lol. In high school, I was paying $1.06 for premium chevron gas lol.

Who here can top that? Lol.

2 Likes

We still can, just need to left some regulations. In CA a large chunk of the price at the pump is taxes.

Prop 6 also failed in 2018, thatā€™s when I moved. Would have reduced the cost of gas by 45c/gal at least.

1 Like

Cheapest I got gas while driving was when it dipped to 79 cents a gallon when I lived in Indiana back in the 90s. I drove a '84 Camaro V8 and that sucker was a hog so I was filling up daily, even if I had 3/4 tank leftā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

What kind? Z28? Iroc Z?

Z28, not the Iroc. All black with chrome wheels. Was my first car and it was pure awesomeness!

2 Likes

Iā€™m seeing decent buzz online about the X-Men Blue Origins comic. It (spoiler) reveals Mystique turned into a fellow and got Destiny pregnant with Nightcrawler, making Mystique kind of his Dad. Interestingly enough, this was the original plan Chris Claremont had the characters but Marvel shut it down decades ago. It is revealed to be his latest, ā€œTrue,ā€ origin now, however!

2 Likes