DC drops UCS as a distributor

All I’m saying is that once a book is printed it can’t be changed.

Upload all of the human race’s collective written works to the cloud and they can be altered or removed as Big Brother sees fit. Both sides of the political spectrum have banned or altered written works to further an agenda. This is bipartisan.

Sure it can… they do it all the time in our children’s history books at school… :wink:

“History is Written by the Victors.” Winston Churchill .

Does anyone know what UCS had as a minimum?

I know a shop in the mall that dropped DC books when diamond no longer was the supplier. I’m guessing because of a minimum order requirement.

Zing!

Neither company had mins from what i understand.

1 Like

Hello new minimums… goodbye hobbyists with retailer accounts… I’d have to vote, this is a good thing.

I would only say that if shops that are smaller and do run an actual store can prove it with business license, established website and or brick store, the limits should be lifted for those that might not have enough customers filling in the required minimum.

2 Likes

Or they tell their customers the situation and they have to wait a week or two longer for their books. But if they are continually having to wait until the total exceeds $125 a week and always playing “catch up”…well, they’re going to lose customers.

Yup. Not sure about the rest of you all but if as a customer, if I walked into a store and there were minimum requirements to buy products, I’d just find another store. It’s pretty craptastic to put minimums on customers. Could you imagine walking into AT&T store and to get that new iPhone you gotta buy 3 of them? Meh…

When DC decides to take away “subscription service” away from midtown, thats when we as a community need to start worrying. But. If i wad DC i would want everything under one house. (Digital being the exception)

Right now all DC is doing is clearing the field, eliminating small shops that dont order a lot. They have been doing this for 5 months with all thier variants limited to 20 stores at max.

More likely that was due to them not agreeing with what DC was doing, or them not wanting to deal with another weekly FOC, paying for more shipments, etc. if the returns weren’t worth it. Until now neither UCS or Lunar had minimum requirements for orders. Lunar just updated their TOS to include that (along with some other changes now that they’re the only game in town…).

Also one must ponder… Lunar and UCS were splitting up DC distribution. I couldn’t imagine DC Was giving them enough product to make it worthy of being a distributor with labor costs and the logistics of handling it for probably pennies on the dollar after expenses.

I’m also wondering if Midtown saw overall sales slump lately with COVID cause for months I didn’t see one single “Midtown Sale” email come across my inbox but now within a matter of days, I’ve seen several for CGC slab sale, Midtown Exclusive Variants sale and also the Bandai Figures sale… maybe all these sales are to boost revenue as their cash reserves were getting low? Just a hunch but just seems awfully coincidental this is all happening around the same time…

All I can say is maybe midtown will start shipping on time now…

3 Likes

Heh… maybe. I had an order that took 5 days to finish processing… but at least the next day I got tracking info, so that’s a good sign I suppose… we’ll just have to wait and see if there’s any actual movement though… but normally when they send out tracking, it’s at least boxed up and on it’s way to the drop off…

That is not true. Lunar has always responded to my emails on a timely basis. BTW, Lunar’s packing is superb. After about four months and ordering thousands of dollars per month, we only had one damaged book. Diamond, on the hand, during the same period, we had over a hundred books damaged. Lunar uses bubble wrap around the inner shipping container which dramatically reduces damages. Never seen anything like Lunar’s packing after over forty years in the business. It costs us a bit more in shipping fees from Lunar, but on balance it is way better than getting damaged product. Hope this insight on Lunar helps everyone better understand the current state of comic distribution.

Your experience is certainly different then mine. I agree they have great shipping, but I would take Diamond customer service over Lunar any day of the week.

For example, I put in a replacement request on 9/20 and Lunar just denied it on the 24th without saying anything. I emailed them back on 9/24 and they said it was because I did not send them pictures of the item (because they never asked). Sent them the pictures the same day and they said they would replace it. I emailed Lunar on Oct 11th asking them where it was. I then followed up on the 14th on the question with no answer. I finally received an answer on the 19th saying it will be in my next shipment. Definitely not what I would call timely.

Well, say goodbye to the hobbyists who have retailer accounts but also say goodbye to DC who’s choking themselves with so many restrictions for the actual retailers…

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it seems like if you’re a smaller retailer or have a smaller number of total orders, Lunar (and previously UCS) are much better to you, and Diamond is not so great. But if you’re a larger retailer or have on the larger half of total orders, Diamond is generally better (but still has their issues), while Lunar/UCS aren’t great.

I know on our side at least it’s similar to your story, where we can go days or never get a reply from Lunar’s contact email and have to re-send things, since there’s no way to call or talk directly to people easily.