Disney/Marvel file lawsuits to keep copyright

Let them become public domain, they shouldn’t have held onto most of these for this long already… these companies need to move on and create new characters and stories instead of relying on their old crap…

1 Like

We might actually get a good Superman game once that happens.

1 Like

Everything gets better when it’s in the public domain and creators can do as they wish with them…

It’s why I use Linux and Open Source software… “Software is like sex, it’s better when it’s free!” :wink:

You always end up paying for both one way or another.

Not me… The only effing software I pay for is TurboTax just because there’s no real free option out there for doing tax that is sufficient. As for sex, well, I might pay for the date from time to time but shit, last night the girlfriend picked up the tab so it evens out when fun time happens afterwards… it’s like she paid for it last night! :wink:

1 Like

See someone always pays.

Heh… as long as it evens out in the end… but one could say going out on date is paying for the entertainment that night. There’s no money exchanged if it gets hot and heavy later… :wink:

Is this all happening in @Anthony ’s basement?

1 Like

Looking forward to Steam “Boat Willie: Sex and Murder”
Later this year.

And does this also mean that in 2039 we’ll be getting 100 new Batman titles?

Not really… Remember, Mickey Mouse Steamboat is now public domain, doesn’t mean you can go copy other stories and such as of yet. Same with other properties.

The laws are funny, Winnie the Pooh is in the Public Domain, but not the Disney Version. So as long as you do not use the Disney Version you are fine. However, I wonder how you get away with not using the Disney Version of Mickey Mouse.

Not a few years. And its not exactly the current iterations.

Action Comics #1 becomes public domain in 2034
Detective Comics #27 becomes public domain in 2035
All-Star Comics #8 becomes public domain in 2037

lmao if some one did Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey, that one can’t be far behind

yup needs to be the copyright of the intellectual property expiring so MM in steamboat willy is the only one as of now.

1 Like

I made a blog post discussing how if something is in the public domain we can do literally anything with it and it’s kind of derivative for people to just make it scary and bloody. Like, I want something clever! Yeah, give me a smart commentary on capitalism or something. Don’t just make a horror game and put Steamboat Willie in it instead of any other random monster.

2 Likes

When it comes to Supes I believe ONLY the look and details from Action 1 are no longer under copy right.

Example: no flying

2 Likes

Is this a joke?

Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over - CBS News.

Apparently not a joke. In fact there are multiple horror films in the works. How predictable.

2 Likes

Also a horror video game.

Also, please remember it is not the current Mickey Mouse that is in the public domain, just the one that was in Steam Boat Willie, the one with no gloves and that looks more mouse like. If the modern version shows up in anything, you can bet, Disney will have their lawyers all over them. All they need is one Mouse named Mickey wearing white gloves to show up.

1 Like

As time goes on, the other stories and likeness copyrights will soon expire as well… wheeeee!