eBay Headaches

I’m really, really hating ebays managed payments. My experience so far. Sold an item on 11/17 and the funds are finally being transferred to my account today. However it’ll be 3-4 business days from today before it hits my account. This is 8 days I have to wait to have access to My Money. Money that would’ve been available immediately with PayPal.

The only option as far as contacting eBay about this issue is to setup a phone call back. Callbacks were averaging an hour or so. You can’t message, call or chat about it online via normal contact procedures. I’m guessing the increased callback times and lack of any other contact choice means people aren’t happy and hopefully they model it after PayPal who they used to own.

2 Likes

I hate the managed payments too. I do not like waiting 3-4 days vs Paypal next day funds.

But, it is what it is. I didnt like Ebay threatening me with the “No new listings until you sign up for managed payments” emails.

1 Like

I don’t do nearly as much on eBay as I used to in previous years (mainly because I wouldn’t set foot in a Goodwill outlet right now if you paid me), and I’m really considering just never using it again after the stuff I have up there currently sells. Like you, I used to rely on money from payments to do things like cover shipping costs.

I also primarily sold on eBay TO build up funds on my Paypal which I used for “fun” and entertainment things online, as a separate source of money from my usual savings. It’s silly, but it all go straight to a bank account makes it feel more like another job than something I’m doing in spare time because I want to be able to buy some random art print, game, or comic on eBay that I wouldn’t normally be spending money on.

2 Likes

Already use to all this on Mercari they hold your funds until the item arrives and the buyer leaves feedback or 3 days after the item arrives with no feedback left. They provide the shipping label from your funds if that’s how you choose to ship so doesn’t effect you in anyway there. While sellers may have to wait for their money buyers feel much more protected they are not being scammed which is a common occurrence on eBay.

Not how it works on Ebay. The managed payments takes 3-4 days to be deposited in your bank account whether you mail the item or not.

So another reason to not sell on Mercari. I’ve only bought one item through them and will definitely not be selling there. It’s buyers that are the big problem on eBay. Definitely not sellers. Ebays feedback system has led to it. You can’t leave negative feedback for a buyer and they can get away with almost anything they want.

1 Like

Well that’s pointless for seller and buyers then, they making interest off your money is why they are doing that.

1 Like

You’re going to find all online virtual market places are trying to hold your money and make their own funds processing businesses it’s been going on this whole year.

My main issue with the holds and transfer times is it’s a big step backwards. You can’t give people immediate access to their money for decades and then go to a week or more when you take over. It’s unacceptable. Mercari holding funds like that is beyond ridiculous as well.

I’m going to clean up on eBay with all of you sellers leaving!!! (kidding… sort of).

My account isn’t high dollar enough, so I haven’t been bugged to move to the new system yet. But, I think it’ll be ok if I have to wait a few days for payment. Not a deal-breaker for me, but that’s up to each person’s comfort level.

It’s bs. They get their cut immediately but I’m to sit and wait a week or more to get paid? It’s also that they’re making money off of holding my money. All my items will be long delivered before I even see a nickel. I’m just hoping there’s enough blowback that they fix it.

But when it’s introduced to you, you knew what you were getting into (thanks for letting us know, sounds like I won’t be using Mercari either). eBay on the other hand is forcing it’s base to conform with no other options.

I get why some will hold funds so people aren’t selling stuff to take the money and run but if you prove yourself over time, I think something like that should be lifted as you gain trust that you are selling what you say your selling.

2 Likes

I can’t sell on eBay anymore because it’s overpopulated with comic flippers that are quick to undercut all the way to a loss just to get some money back. As for buyers on eBay I like to sell preorders but lately it’s a waste of time. I can put the date it ships, when it comes out, list it as no cancels or refunds and 9-10 of you shitty eBay ers will put it in a eBay not received claim before the book EVEN COMES OUT and never respond to any messages and they expect a refund because they saw the book $3 cheaper 6 weeks later.

3 Likes

Yeah, the system isn’t set up for pre-orders. It’s designed for immediate sale. Makes pre-orders so much harder to fulfill, which is why I haven’t done any pre-order sales. You miss out on dollars, but avoid headaches.

I can’t sell store exclusives on eBay anymore because assholes like sadlemon find a stack of a shared exclusive that was long sold out and put them up on eBay at original price, as soon as they start shipping your you thought for 3 month sold out copies.

Store exclusives are NEVER “limited” And yet people keep buying into it…

But to be fair, stores selling their “exclusives” on Ebay can undercut others because their buy-in is far cheaper than yours…

1 Like

Yea that’s a bunch of crap. I really hate that they took away sellers being able to leave negative feedback for buyers. I recently had a guy buy a comic with buy it now, he then cancelled his purchase and then left me negative feedback saying I cancelled his order. And you fight it with eBay to remove it and they don’t. They just leave it and let it stand. I think in 20 some years I have had one negative feedback removed out of several that were bogus like that one. it’s a bunch of shiitake mushrooms man

1 Like

I tried pre-orders for incentives on eBay and was like damn these are selling at ratio! And the way people just cancel because the day its out other sellers are selling way below ratio and they can get it cheaper so that stopped quickly

eBay specifically said they are NOT making money on holding your money. This was in the TOS when you sign up for managed payments. I know, not many people read it, but it is in there. Even if they did, what could they possibly make on $50 being held for 2 days?

$50 x 10,000,000 sellers a day a lot

5 Likes