eBay Headaches

Yes. You have to wait until it actually clears into your bank account. That is where I have the money being transferred. I don’t know if you can us Paypal as an option.

They take out any fees and sent it to whatever account you picked for your managed payments.

Yeah, I have it being sent to my secondary checking account once a week because they kept sending it before I could pay for shipping…and had to use PayPal which draws from my credit card because it takes 10 days to get to my PayPal (transfer from my checking)…such a mess.

1 Like

I opened another checking account for eBay and my comic buying/selling. I linked the debit card for that account to PayPal. Sales go into checking account after couple of days. Shipping comes out of same account, just through PayPal. Once it gets rolling, it’s no problem. Working just fine for me! Hardest part was opening new checking account, which was easy, and done online.

Somewhat eBay related. The dingle berries at Key Collector recently added Captain America #1 Photo Variant Newsstand. I can understand adding a newsstand because they’re definitely hard to find. However their other reason to get it is because it’s a photo variant and Chris Evans is doing a CGC signing.

The sheep on eBay of course ran with it and it’s went from $10-20 up to $40-$335. I’m a big modern newsstand collector so I can see people paying a premium. However they’re buying up Direct Editions not the newsstands. A newsstand is up for auction currently but all that have sold have been directs.

2 Likes

Once that app puts anything out… and I do mean anything… it’s all over of us. Done/fini/end. Unless one wants to still pay 5x the amount you were willing to pay. I’ve watched books in auction, seen a push from those guys, and then immediately just stopped watching the auction. Not worth it.

4 Likes

Makes sense right, $300 for a book and then like $300 to get chris evans to sign it, great investment

2 Likes

… yep
And saddest of all, someone with money to burn will purchase that already overvalued comic for $1500.
Many folks aren’t using their heads these days; and there are many others that realize it

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that, a lot of the time there’s a surge and price increase but wait a bit and they drop back down. When the MGS movie announcement happened with Oscar Isaac those books jumped up and now they’re back to $15-$20. Many times they put out an alert or on the top ten list and then those books drop/ High Republic 2 Witter pre sold at $180 and now seems to be at around $50

Yea - I agree with the ups and downs with KC.
I was thinking more about that moment in time (and certainly a little bit thereafter) where there is that skyrocket effect and I stop searching for the book that was on a watch list
The most recent example for me is Micronauts #1 and #8. There will be a Micronauts movie in time, but something went out with KC about Knull or some Engima something (I don’t know, don’t follow) and all of a sudden those two issue went bazonkas. I have since removed them from my Ebay feed as I know full well I am not getting them for what I had been getting them for. So now I need to wait until the next thing and the next thing and the next thing and hopefully it goes out of the FOMO folks heads soon

2 Likes

@Bill I absolutely have the same experiences quite often. I need to learn to pull the trigger on books I have an interest in, because anymore it seems like everything can suddenly become hot.
I personally have had varied copies of Marvel Chillers #1 sitting on my watch list for ages. Really nice copies that I just figured…someday.
So much for that lol.

2 Likes

No Kenny, you won’t just cancel your order.

Honest mistake by the buyer or someone trying to get me to be stupid enough to ship to a different address so I lose seller protection and then he can claim item not received and keep the book and get his money back? I don’t even care. That book is going to whatever address is on your ebay account at the time I print the label.

3 Likes

Well now he just sounds like a scammer. Wont contact ebay to fix the address but will contact them to try and cancel. Uh huh.

I had the spoilers on the main site explaining. Funny thing is at first they quoted me as the source for it then dropped the quote.

2 Likes

I hate Key Collector and there damn posts/alerts. Been buying some Joe comics for the display with the figs. Had a couple on auction only 2 days remain. I was the leading bidder at $2 for 4 days!! They drop an alert that happens to be the issue I was bidding on… now the bid is $20. Uuuggghhhh these damn FOMO people man.

3 Likes

The other day they posted the Star Wars Adventures #9 that’s on pre-order as “first Boba Fett in Star Wars Adventures title.”

1. Who gives a flying shit about that distinction? Answer: nobody.
  2. This is clearly just gaming SEO. Who knows to what level of success.

As a thought experiment, think about if anybody cares about Spider-Man’s first appearance in an IDW book? Batman in another publisher’s book? It’s not a distinction people care about. Nor do I think it ever will be. Nobody is chasing Miracleman’s first reprint in Marvel comics.

4 Likes

It’s so funny you mention that @drunkwooky . Soon as the previews came out about a week ago for that I said to myself. Watch the youtubers or popular spec people make a deal about this cover. Nothing about the story nothin else just to hype the cover and BOOM here you go dropping exactly what I felt was gonna happen.

1 Like

But if you ask Nick he will tell you Key Collector isn’t speculation based lol At least he used to say that anyway. The whole thing is ridiculous. Still a good resource that I use for some stuff but he is clearly a goofball.

1 Like

Use it for what it is worth

Lol, not related to eBay, well I will loop it around. If a seller charges me Priority Legal Flat Rate prices for shipping and then mails media, I would be pissed and leave negative feedback, but when a publisher does it, it really pisses me off. No place to air grievances. Needless to day, I ordered two copies of a variant from a publisher on a “50% off codeword sale” and paid $8 shipping for the two books. It came media mail, boxed, but media mail

I ordered that, “Transformers VS G.I. Joe,” massive hardcover from IDW for a Black Friday sale. They sent it media mail with signature upon delivery. Kinda an odd combo to send something the cheapest way but indicate it is important enough to be signed for.

1 Like