eBay Headaches

I’m curious what your guys opinion on the whatnot app? I’m seeing a ton of people trying the platform and selling books on there with good success, anyone here try it?

I’ve watched a few sales. Bid on a couple things, but it seems that things are almost always going for way too much. Good place to sell, not great to buy. Maybe it’ll slow down.

I put in to do live sales. I have been watching a lot of them. I have a ton of books I wouldn’t mind moving and it’s a cool app.

Live sales seem like a major drag if I need to set aside 30 minutes-hour sitting there doing it.

I am up for the challenge.

Yeah I always see people doing live sales on IG, and then the claim sales or whatever where they have a letter next to a comic… but I just can’t get myself to sit there and do it. Rather just throw it up on ebay and let whoever wants it get it. No need for me to actually do anything (I’m super lazy).

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying buying on Whatnot. Some stuff gets overbid on but I’ve gotten some great deals too. I applied to sell as well. We shall see.

1 Like

I have such a pet peeve for people sending a message after purchasing to ship something securely. I will immediately block the buyer after the purchase because it just bothers me lol if mercari didn’t track cancelations I would just cancel the sale

2 Likes

I agree, however, with as many comics I’ve received with little regard for the safety of the collectible…I can see how some people get nervous about their shipment arriving safely. Gotta love the people who use a gemini, but then just toss the comic in there like its going to be protected.

Not vouching for these people, but I can definitely see where they are coming from.

6 Likes

I don’t mind those sending a message for me to pack securely. Easily ignored as I already pack my comics to ship out beyond, almost nuclear proof.

On more expensive books I’ve send such notices myself, at least to tell them to add “Do Not Bend” on the package cause for a while my postman was actually bending gemini and rigid mailers to try and shove into my mailbox where they normally don’t fit.

2 Likes

To fold a gemini takes some real effort. Kudos to that guy :man_facepalming:

Yeah… my messages usually went something like… “Hey, my postman thinks he’s the HULK and tries to bend packages to fit into my tiny mailbox instead of my doorstep, please write DO NOT BEND!”

If it is a seller I haven’t bought from before and they don’t state how the item is shipped in the description I will send a msg requesting extra secure packaging. There are some people out there that literally have no clue how to mail a comic so it doesn’t get damaged in transit.

3 Likes

Do you ship First Class w/tracking ? If yes, could you let me know how you do your packages ? Shipped some >500 packages my way - bagged and boarded, between two sturdy cardboard pieces, in a bubble mailer with ‘Do Not Bend !’ written all over the envelope - done to keep the weight/material cost within the First Class range. I haven’t had any damages (that I know of) for these packages BUT lately I have received requests for returns/damages, that I don’t understand. I’m always interested in figuring out how to further damage-proof my packages, so would appreciate suggestions. BTW, some of these return/damage requests are CLEARLY scams (which I will post in the other Ebay list later), but improving my shipping might give me more confidence.

I use a U-Line bubble wrap pre sealed bag, perfect size to hold up to about 10 regular books. I place this into a Gemini and the sides usually squish to keep the comic in place. More than one comic I use painters tape to secure them together. More than 4 or 5 comics I’m taking them and doing all of this, but then placing the Gemini into a flat rate legal envelope.

I had one damage issue when I stopped taping all 4 sides to save some time. I immediately went back to taping all 4 sides. My shipping is usually on the high end, but my packages get there fast and safely (generally speaking).

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Apologize for the follow-up questions. Do you use First Class postage ? I am a small Ebay seller - usually 1-5 books per package, so higher postages are cost prohibitive, and may discourage buyers. I do use a bubble mailer, tape all sides and corners of my cardboard to prevent comics shifting, and have cardboard larger than the comic so that corners are protected. I was thinking of shifting to Priority Mail, but the cost is $7.35 (of course with more weight/insurance allowed), and worried that I will have lower sales.

I don’t sell on eBay anymore but if it’s a single book, I can fit 6 x cardboard pieces to sandwich single issues for protection in or around 14-15 ounces to qualify for first class. Sometimes two books I can manage enough pieces to protect first class, keeping under 16 ounces but usually 2 or more books now, I ship priority.

I was thinking about adding extra pieces of cardboard to brace the shipment further, but will have to keep an eye on weight. I will post some of my return/damage cases later for discussion; waiting for them to be resolved but would like to get opinions to improve my selling practice. Thanks for the suggestions - faele, agentpoyo and all here !

Also, in my opinion, shipping 1-2 books are the ones that need more protection. With 3-5 books, it becomes more difficult to bend, as I package it. However, if someone wants to bend stuff, nothing will stop this :slight_smile: !

Yup. The key is, make it so the package is hard to bend while also the comic does not slide around. Never had a comic damaged in transit to date so far. Also I think if you’re shipping via USPS, try to make your packages the same size as their flat rate packaging and make sure your packages don’t have anything that can get caught on something, like the corners on gemini mailers, when I reuse those, I usually tape off the edges so those overhangs can’t get caught on anything on the conveyor belts or whatnot. I think that’s when some damages occur as well.