eBay Headaches

Knock on wood no.

Only time I ever had a problem was the Rick and Morty ashcans that came with the Blu-ray box set. I bought a legit box set unopened. Sold the comic inside. I can’t remember now if the legit one had two or three staples but the one they sent me back was a counterfeit one with the incorrect amount of staples. He opened a case and I issued the return. He sent me a fake one back. I opened a dispute with eBay on the return. eBay said there was no way to prove he sent me a fake one back. I said regardless if you look at my pictures and the pictures of what he sent back they were not the same book. I fought with eBay until they finally decided in my favor. And then someone stepped in and reversed it. More fighting and finally got my money back.

The guy sent me the best offer, which I accepted. Marvel Omnibus. New. In foil. He sent me a message thanking me that I accepted his offer. He wrote that he will send me money on Wednesday. It was Sunday. The red light went on. He wrote on several FB groups that he was happy that he managed to buy this comic book at a great price. Someone asked how much he paid. He gave the price. Someone else wrote back that he paid half that. He forgot to say he paid that much for a used one. The buyer deleted his post with the price. Others continued to congratulate him on his purchase. He thanked them. On Wednesday, the money is still not there. I sent an invoice. No response. I sent one message on Wednesday. A second message on Thursday. Still nothing. I wrote another message because I was already a little annoyed that he should say whether he was paying or not. Finally, I wrote that as soon as I have the opportunity to cancel the purchase, I will do so and that I will warn other sellers about him and finally leave a message on the FB groups where he bragged about his purchase. All the time, he had access to the Internet because he was bragging about other purchases and things unrelated to comics. Not half an hour after my last message when I heard from him. Family issues… He’s in another town. He still hasn’t paid or asked for a cancellation.

1 Like

Gotta love the “family issues” or “death in family” where you walk that fine line of trying to not be a dick cause it could be true but more than likely it’s just an excuse in not paying.

My issue is, if you can’t pay right away and have to wait days to pay for merchandise, you probably shouldn’t be shopping for things you can’t afford online or in person even.

Good luck, I would have already started the non-payment process to get a head start. We live in a world of everyone has the internet at the touch of their fingers with their smart phones, yeah that sucks if you got family issues but you got a few minutes to finish your obligations you started by bidding or buying that item.

2 Likes

what the ebay buyers name ? ill add it to my block list

1 Like

monte-richa
He’s from the UK, so you should be safe :wink:

1 Like

I accepted a best offer of $79.99 on a book I had listed for $89.99 and has been sitting there for a while. I am only into this book for $5 so no big deal a sale is a sale. Anyway, I accepted the offer and the payment didn’t come through. So I messaged the buyer at the 24 hour mark. This is what I got

I appreciate the pleasant tone of the buyer. But my issue is how does eBay continue to let this go on. If someone makes and offer, you shouldn’t have to wait four days for them to pay, let alone have the posting come down and not allow other people have a crack at it.

Shoot, Amazon when you buy it now, well you pay now.

3 Likes

Didn’t Ebay implement the auto pay if you accept an offer?

You can turn if off manually. I made an offer recently and was told up front if seller accepts we will charge you immediately which I was ok with.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought too. I don’t know if you can turn it off.

On ebay do you have ‘immediate payment’ checked on the item listing?

Sometimes I have to confirm the payment information before placing a bid but not always. It is definitely a seller function and not an “across the board” thing.

I believe you can require immediate payment but if you accept the best offer they don’t have to pay right away still. It’s annoying.

1 Like

That’s a dumb policy. Why would eBay treat full price payment one way, and best offer payment another?

That is why I don’t do best offers.

If I do, I’ll lower the price of the book and tell them to grab it before someone else does. That way I get paid when the auction closes.

1 Like

When someone says… “I’ll pay you on X date” and it’s a few days out, that means they’re broke and shouldn’t by buying things online more than likely.

The whole, buy now, pay later here in America is a real disease. If you can’t afford it right now, then you shouldn’t buy it I say!

3 Likes

It’s limitations. I could send an offer to @anthony on eBay for a book and it might take him 4 hours later to read it and accept, when I’m no longer online so how do they force one to check out? The only way around this is you allow eBay to auto deduct purchases from your account in such situations and that sounds like something I would not allow eBay to do.

People have to have a payment method on file. So if he makes an offer and I accept, they should debit the payment method then.

1 Like

Looks like there is a setting that makes buyers provide a payment method before submitting offers:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

ebay_requirements

Might not actually make them pay immediately if unattended though still, that would be an eBay question but you probably want to enable these so the buyers do have payment method on file to ween out the bots and scammers…

4 Likes

I just made and offer you n something and had to identify my method of payment. So that makes sense as I was surprised I had to do that.

That likely makes a lot of potential OBO’s shy away…but better that way.

Sounds like Mercari. You make and offer if accepted your charged immediately.

I will say this. The buyer paid at 1 AM this morning. He kept his word.

9 Likes