eBay Headaches

I don’t have a problem with charging sales tax, just charging the fee for charging sales tax.

2 Likes

They’ve always had fees, this isn’t new. Stop using their platform if you don’t like it.

You should buy an Epi-Pen with that money!

This isnt a fee. They are taking an extra cut of the total payment. Sounds like you got issues…

Lets look at an example for the slow person in the room…

Now, Ebay has been doing this for a few years now. There are plenty of discussions about it on the Ebay Community message boards.

8 Likes

remember when they started to charge fees on shipping to stop the 1 buck item with 100 shipping
but now that they control the money and see what we are actually paying on shipping and shipping cost probably doubled since they started thats a nice extra profit for them

1 Like

Thank you for the visual aid, Keith. I am familiar with breakdowns like these and, regardless of what they show, the facts remain simple enough for someone as apparently slow as I am to understand: if you don’t like the way they conduct business, don’t do business with them.

On a personal note, coming out so aggressively with name calling when some gives a point of view contradictory to yours only shows the limits of your argument and you as a person. And I have no issues at all, quite the contrary. I’m actually taking a reasonable amount of pleasure from the strife this “eBay fees” debacle is causing you. I like that you’re getting upset. See you specifically are causing this forum to turn into a roiling pit of negativity and bitchiness. I’ve never encountered someone who can constantly and consistently complain about everything involved with a medium they claim to love. It’s your go to at this point, but negativity isn’t a personality trait, it’s a character flaw. You can call me names, say I’m slow, have at it. At the end of it all, I didn’t like the way ebay was operating, so I stopped selling on there. You chose to complain endlessly on the internet and take shots at people. Who’s the slow one really?

1 Like

I am one that also believes in personal responsibility & with understanding all the criteria when walking into a business arrangement.

There is a potential legal situation here though even if we, the consumers, understand the business arrangement we’ve entered into by selling on Ebay. From my perspective, I know Ebay is doing this, and I’ve “agreed” to sell on the platform; but a case can still be made for the legality of it. If there is a situation of legality, then discussing it and even complaining about it is not unprecedented.

These immense platforms sometimes knowingly and/or unknowingly take advantage of consumers. Questioning the legality when we know things are questionable legally is ok in my book and perhaps something comes of it . I’ve gotten money back from Ticketmaster in the past who is scum of the earth because of their policies. And I knew they were the scum of the earth. Its happened on other mega platforms with reimbursements.

I think it’s actually a discussion worthy of having for the greater good of us consumers.

1 Like

I completely agree about Ticketmaster. They are decidedly duplicitous in their conduct.

I’m just not understanding where the illegality lies in eBays fees.

Yea… i don’t know if there is a legality issue.
But it does seem, at least, peculiar.
These days, well… we all know about the legal system and it’s sometimes bizarre nuances and what can be brought up and actually pursued.

Crazier mega lawsuits have happened, so … who knows. Maybe one day we’ll all see our 13% of the sales tax reimbursed.

Now that would be something!

All of us should have an issue with charging fees on shipping and sales tax. It maybe currently legal but if enough people complain and report it to their respective states attorney generals, maybe they’ll bring a suit against them. They started doing the fees on the shipping due to idiots charging the item cost in the shipping. They can see those of us who print labels through eBay exactly what we’re charged so it shouldn’t apply to us if their only reason was jackasses charging everything in the shipping. Charging a fee on sales tax isn’t right either. I’ll complain about it all day even though I agreed to it. It’s my right.

2 Likes

I don’t care about the shipping as much, it does bother me, but I always charge a weight class up to cover my suppliers (bags, boards, and mailers) and honestly I still end up profiting a small amount of profit on shipping.

2 Likes

I just don’t get how they can charge a fee on taxes? I’m much more okay with the shipping as well. I print online through eBay and they give you a pretty decent discount.

3 Likes

This extra eBay fee on taxes is more easily understood if you accept it is as part of the payment processing fees on the total payment amount that is being processed/paid. The amount that every payment processor (eBay, Visa, MC, etc) charges is a percentage of the total charged amount which is the purchase price plus sales tax.

For example, my $10.00 item/purchase with 5% sales tax is a total of $10.50. If a payment processing fee is 3%. the payment processor will charge a fee for processing a $10.50 payment of $0.32, not $0.30 for just the $10.00 item/purchase and ignore the $0.50 sales tax amount.

The government is going to get its full $0.50 sales tax so that extra $0.02 fee has to be paid by someone. eBay has decided that will be the seller. eBay is not doing anything different than any other payment processor (Visa, MC, PayPal Goods & services, etc).

eBay is just the worst because they are charging their full 13.25% final value fee on the total payment amount which comes out to a 10% fee overcharge on sales tax since most payment processors charge around 3%.

What eBay should do is what Mercari does, separately charge the 10% item fee and the 3% payment (item plus sales tax/shipping) processing fee.

3 Likes

Same here, haven’t really used eBay since they switched to their own payment/collection system. I did eventually try a year or so ago and list a few things since Mercari ended up sucking a bit for me.

What is everyone’s thoughts on ebays payment system? I don’t see much difference except now it takes 3 days to get your money to the bank. Your money is available the next day from eBay anyways.

I’ve seen many people give up on ebay entirely because of their new payment system but I’m not really sure why.

I’ve given up on Ebay selling up to $599.
Sooooo… yea… and entirely different reason :wink:

1 Like

I cash out weekly on eBay. I haven’t needed the money right away so it doesn’t matter. I have been moving books on Mercari as well, that money is just sitting in the account. Haven’t needed to withdraw it.

Has anyone else had an increase of buyers requesting refunds due to damage? I’ve shipped like 250 packages since the beginning of 2022 without a problem and within the last 2 months I’ve had 3 people request refunds due to comics being damaged. I’ve changed nothing in the way I ship. Are buyers getting wise to being able to scam sellers because they know ebay will always side with them, or is USPS just getting more careless? Just seems fishy.

One of the packages was really banged up and caused massive damage to the comic, but the other 2 didn’t really show package damage, but the comics were spine sticked and corner dinged and they were for sure in NM condition when I shipped.

I have shipped over 1000+ items and only had 2 people contact me because of damages. I bomb proof my packages so it should’ve gotten there perfectly fine but I guess sometimes it’s unavoidable. They were cheap books under $15 so I just sent them another NM copy and let them keep the original copy.

Another person claimed they never got the item so I just refunded them. This was many years ago when I was new to selling comics on ebay. Found a 2nd print of Far Sector that had the first appearance of Sojourner Mullein. Was selling at $50 at the time, I sold it at $45 shipped from Canada. Since it was really expensive to ship to the US, I shipped it without tracking. Have done it many times in the past without a problem. I don’t do it now, learned my lesson. The buyer waited until the day it was supposed to come and immediately opened a case with ebay that he never received the item. He never once contacted me that there was an issue. Ebay contacted me with the case and since I had no way of proving it got delivered I just refunded the buyer back. Something felt really off about it and I felt like I got scammed. Anyways I just blocked that buyer so I wouldn’t have to do business with that person ever again and moved on.