eBay Headaches

Apparently my selling limit is now $50 million a month. I’m not joking.

Party at David’s soon to be mansion when he starts making some mad cash on eBay… :wink:

Same - posted on my IG how ridiculous a $50 million limit is for a small time comics seller

Yeah seems kind of silly to have a 50 million selling limit. At that point, just make it say “unlimited”…

3 Likes

I swear I saw someone online once showing a screenshot of how eBay says, “You have no limit/there is no limit.”

1 Like

My wife likes them.

Makes sense, no one wants to hold hands with somebody with bony fingers. That’s what you were getting at, right?

There’s probably some glitch that doesn’t allow unlimited, like a singularity error…so have to set it to some values. A finite number, so high no one ever has accumulated it to date or likely will, but not so high everyone is like “what are they smoking?”

I think they picked a something a little too high though….

1 Like

Nah, usually unlimited could be a variable somewhere that is assigned with a single 0 or 1 somewhere, but they’d rather code using 50,000,000.00 which is more typing and more bits… it’s not logical when it comes to coding for the most part. Just set it to unlimited and be done. Nobody is gonna hit a 50 million dollar limit selling stuff on eBay.

So this is ridiculous. Not my situation, but my wife’s. She has the worst luck with eBay.

So the story is, we upgraded a modem and she wanted to sell the older one. She posted everything about it such that anyone with half a brain could be able to determine if it was compatible with their service provided.

Some guy from the bronx reaches out and starts with the “what is your lowest price…I already have an offer on another one but I like your listing better…blah blah” trying to wheel and deal.

She asked me what she should do, I said there are red flags everywhere, do not work with this person. I’m getting bad vibes.

Needless to say, she gave him a price and sold it, against my advice.

About a week later, guy contacted her for a refund. Says the modem isn’t compatible with what he wanted it for. Basically, something the buyer should have down their own research for…not something the seller should be responsible for as all the information in the listing that this person needed and could have determined this on their own. But he wants my wife to pay for his error.

She refuses, provides all the correspondence of the buyer admitting they were at fault. The outcome you can see in the screenshot above.

Not only was she forced to pay the buyer back, but was charged a $20 dispute fee on top of it.

Insult to injury. Guy got to keep the modem, probably sold it…got to keep the money…my wife is out the modem plus $20. Is anyone working for eBay even reviewing these cases? The guy admitted he ordered the wrong f’n modem!

I told her before that eBay’s business model almost exclusively favors buys…so regardless if the evidence clearly in your favor they’ll likely rule against you as the seller. Just how it is.

Didn’t realize they’d wack you with $20’on top of that…just to discourage any future disputing. :roll_eyes:. Take that fir being right!!

3 Likes

Thank you for this confirmation. That is what I have been reading everywhere I looked and I had a similar situation recently. My first eBay scumball. This was, of course, for the Blood Hunt Red Band #1 1:25 that I couldn’t resist selling for $300 CAD. Guy who bought it damaged it, and admitted it happened during his handling, or at the very least that it noticed it while he was handling it. Reported it received damaged. This of course means that eBay forces me to pay for shipping back.

I have pictures from before I sent it and I know it was inspected before because I was planning on keeping it. I get the comic and it has a very bad top staple pull and the cover is now slightly offset. I actually think the fellow bought a low grade copy from somewhere and switched the two comics. I was going to dispute it and go through the process but in the end decided it wasn’t worth it from what I saw everywhere. Adding another $20 to resolve the dispute would have put me over the edge.

Classic scumball behaviour from a guy that at the best let me fund his buyer’s remorse after he damaged it and at worst committed fraud.

I wish there was any other good option for selling comics in Canada, most are US only.

Wow, I had no idea that there was a $20 fee charged by ebay. I looked into this very briefly and it seems that the charge is only incurred if you fight the dispute (and lose) and if you are not eligible for seller protection.

I would call eBay directly and speak with someone. I have had many disputes overturned as a result.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this one, I’ve had situations where if I make a phone call it helps. Perhaps because I’m just very friendly on the phone they’re surprised to not be screamed at and are more willing to work with me.

2 Likes

I would have claimed it as shipping damage. You had pictures of it beforehand and pictures the buyer had when he “received” it. For items over 150$ I always get the insurance in case this happens.

What determines seller protection eligibility in her case?

I had the full amount in shipping insurance but I had no idea how I was going to explain a staple pull on only one staple when it was bagged, boarded, wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and in a gemini mailer. Also, how would they settle that claim, it wasn’t worthless anymore, just lost 30 to 40% of its value.

As I said, it just seemed like a giant headache, gave a refund, blocked the user, prayed to all the known karma gods to descend upon him, and moved on.

5 Likes

I don’t know if it would have mattered. USPS confiscates the item and then refunds you.

I tried to get USPS to pay for slab damage (reholder) but they wanted the whole thing…slab and book…and we’re going to destroy it. So I had to eat both the shipping to and from the buyer, and reholder fees (and shipping to and from CBCS) for damage they caused in order to not throw away a a perfectly good book.

This was a few years ago.

I don’t know. I’ve never encountered these problems, as my only concerns are damaged comics. If someone doesn’t agree with the condition of a book, or claims photos didn’t represent the item, I accept returns. Not worth the aggregation.

My wife seems to encounter them constantly but she sells glass, electronics, shoes, etc…thing that break or have a high scam rate.

I mean, how do shoes break in shipment? Someone actually claimed she shipped them damaged shoes. Total scammer. eBay sided with that buyer too.

When I investigated the process it is as you described. A federal claims investigator would gather the statements and the item and the packaging and make a determination. I couldn’t find anyone that stated they would give out a partial claim, it was be a situation that is yes your approved for the amount or not you are not. You get the item back if your not but it could be literal months later and I don’t believe you get the item back if they pay out the claim.

It is not a very seller friendly environment. It didn’t seem worth it. I didn’t lose money at the end of the day but it certainly wasn’t the giant windfall it started out as.