Eight Billion Genies Exclusive Variant Scandal - Ryan Browne in Big Trouble

Yeah, I’m just saying that I doubt many parties entering into these Image exclusive contracts have any realistic way to change the terms of the contract.

You’re absolutely right that they don’t really have a leg to stand on legally if the contract allows for this type of behavior. It seems strange that this is the first we’ve been hearing about this practice after years of Image doing exclusives, however. So it makes you wonder how widespread the practice is with creators. The vast majority of Image creators probably couldn’t care to print their own exclusives because the book isn’t a big enough hit to put that money on the line and risk it.

I will say that if the contract for a retailer exclusive variant says “exclusive” on it without explicitly spelling out that the creators and Image themselves are an exception to that exclusivity, then there’s at least a colorable argument for an implied warranty and a breach of that warranty. Enough to sink your teeth into for a lawsuit and try for a settlement. Definite exposure for Image if that’s the state of affairs. But, this is all speculation. I don’t know what the contract says.

2 Likes

I saw he was supposed to be at Megacon. I didn’t go this year, but man do I hope he catches flack there. The steal-yo-wife thing really put me off from him.

I did tell you to skip the intro music :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, then there was a warning that the video was rated only for Stoners. Then there was a bong rip that looked like the Ricola alpen horn. I lost patience at that point.

3 Likes

Amen Bitterbaum

I’m not in full recovery. If there’s an easy-to-obtain cover and I want the art for my personal collection, I’ll grab it.

I don’t jump through the various hoops on multiple platforms to buy exclusives anymore, though. The convoluted release of Trinity’s E.M. Gist Mandalorian #8 was enough to make my head spin, so I just passed. So many trade copies available online, then another amount available only at the show. People who bough the trade were eligible to buy the virgin during the show, then some were released online after that. You could also do it on their app.

I think at some point we lost the plot here. When did it become good business to actively make goods more difficult to buy? I have a special pet peeve when people make it hard for me to give them my money. Why would somebody want to add barriers to my money? Their loss I guess.

This does make sense.

Image is big on creators owning their IP and having control over them. So, unless you have an agreement with the IP owner, you don’t really have any claim to stop them from producing more of their own IP.

1 Like

God damn Economic in comics rambles. Couldn’t he just come out and say he was destroying 40? And will he share the video?

Have we ever seen a destruction video?

3 Likes

I don’t think we’ve ever seen a video of stuff legit being destroyed besides a handful of comics. Not some epic thing of all the promised books being shredded.

I’ll show you a destruction video. I’ve got some comics I could shred…

I honestly don’t get why print runs are a big deal, I do think there should be transparency and honesty about how many copies or how they’re made but it feels like from economics video that there are people that only buy an exclusive because its said to be limited to X amount. I buy exclusives all the time from Udon even tho for most of them they don’t disclose print runs and seem to have a ton but I get them cause I like the cover. Its also interesting how stores will say limited to X amount but then pull off gimmicks that cheapen it. How many exclusives of Batman 423 that were said to be limited to x copies and then later on theres 20 different variants of that same cover

No matter how well done or documented, no one will ever believe a destruction video is legit. For example, There could always have been more printed than stated. So even if you destroyed x how do I know you didn’t have 2x more printed stashed away.

1 Like

And now we can have AI destruction videos :alien:

2 Likes

Will Smith shredding comics…

The print run matters a whole lot. The higher the print run is the cheaper it is to print per book. These retailer exclusives specify a low print count so they can charge you more per book. Not everyone who buys an exclusive or incentive are thinking about flipping. They buy them because they like them and also thinking they’re getting a limited edition which appeals to them. That’s why people pay more for a 1:100 than a 1:25.

If you’re buying exclusives from udon and they don’t specify a print run, they’re probably not charging you $100 for the book either. The low print runs is a gimmick to charge you more.

3 Likes

I trust these big time Youtubers, Instagramers, Whatnotters, Influencers, and now artists who align themselves with the aforementioned; about as far as I trust a snake.

Years ago I made a livin’ off major convention exclusives. It was unique to be able to obtain the exclusive ONLY if you attended the Comic Con. Think NYCC, SDCC, Emerald City, etc…

These days I don’t know what is going on; nor who is doing what, how many are made; but I smell a rat somewhere and have smelled that same rat for a few years now since the major rise of those scourges of the hobby. I now stay out of this arena because none of them; and I mean none of them can be trusted.

8 Likes

Not sure if I even have any of the files from various publishers. But from what I can remember, generally there’s less of a contract, more of an order form with details that you have to fill out and sign to agree to pay.

I do know as an example for Image specifically I wanted to use some of the art on trading card COAs and had to email to ask about usage and if that’s allowed because there wasn’t any details about that.

2 Likes

Most likely there is a small reference saying “You agree to our terms of service at: www.Imagecomics.fu.youhavenorights”

4 Likes
1 Like