Free Comic from a Brewing Company

I don’t even know how I happened upon this but I signed up for one because why not

“Written by Ninkasi co-founder Jamie Floyd and Jim Gibbons and illustrated by Dark Horse Comics artist Eduardo Francisco, this story follows the Goddess Ninkasi, Tricerahops, Jamie Floyd & Nikos Ridge, and other familiar characters in the pursuit of delicious beer”.

Legend of Ninkasi

5 Likes

I saw this available somewhere myself. I do like the artwork and beer so. Those cans are pretty sweet looking as well. Signed up myself. Thanks for sharing. No pun intended.

2 Likes

How odd. I love weird little promo comics and ashcans so I’m in!

1 Like

This is so badass. When I was in law school in Eugene, OR, the founder of Ninkasi came and talked to us about beer law. He was…errrr…a different sort of chap. Wore a choker. But, cool guy who I could totally see doing something like this. Love their beer.

2 Likes

cool, signed up for one.

1 Like

Oh hey, look what showed up today! By itself (with bag and board) in a bubble mailer… in pristine shape. Go figure :slight_smile: Haven’t read it yet though.

2 Likes

Lol sweet

Thanks for the heads up on this, my comic arrived today and it was better quality than expected. https://imgur.com/gallery/YliFgCz

It arrived bagged and boarded and simply mailed in a bubble envelope. Packaging of course could have been better, but this was what I expected from a beer company. The book arrived in remarkably good condition all things considered.

1 Like

Did you guys get tracking info or did it just show up? I never got any emails after the initial one. Looks awesome, hope I get mine.

It just showed up. I’d actually forgotten about it until today.

1 Like

Just came home to it peaking out the mailbox.

1 Like

No tracking here and no comic yet either. But excited now lol

1 Like

Ok, so I gave it a read. The book is set in Medieval Eugenia (Eugene, Oregon) where no beer is permitted except “Blüdweisen” (obvious dig at a certain foot wash).
Ninkasi, the goddess of fermentation sees the injustice from her sky palace that appears to be outside time. She refers to Medieval Eugenia so I would think the time period is an important “coordinate” for her seer pool. She hops (pun intended) atop Trice, her flying Triceratops Dragon that is obviously modeled after Ninkasi’s Tricera-Hops beer and swoops in to Eugenia to inspire an uprising and a craft brewing renaissance. The whole thing is filled with nods to their own beers like when Ninkasi tells the king to prepare for “total domination” and there’s a great beer pun at the end referring to a bad pour. I won’t ruin it. It’s also a lovely piece of nostalgia for me as I spent a portion of law school in Eugene going to live blue grass shows at Ninkasi’s outdoor patio. The book references the Mackenzie river that runs right past it and through Eugene and it’s just a lot more enjoyable and less of a contrived advertisement than I expected. I actually wondered if they would do more which I would gladly pay for and read. Ninkasi’s owner had himself illustrated into the book:
(On the right).

4 Likes

Mine just arrived, in a bubble mailer. But believe it or not its ok.

Anyone else get there’s like this :frowning:

Oof. No, mine was pristine. But the way it was mailed, I saw this coming from those “folders” out there in the USPS.

They’re (Ninkasi) posting about this on Twitter with Dark Horse, which mentioned comics plural. Ninkasi replied to my noting of that to say that books 2 and 3 have their stories in the works now!

Still haven’t gotten mine :frowning:

1 Like

That’s how mine showed up too unfortunately. Bent straight in the middle with a crease. Can’t complain though since I can still read it at least.

But if you read it, then you can’t list it as in “unread” condition some time in the future.

1 Like