Gwenverse Spec

Will Nightbird ever be used again? It looks like so far its only on the theme variant for the month.

1 Like

This might be a good spec book maybe can be found in some dollar bins

5 Likes

I collected all those Hero Reborn first appearances. Hers is Night Gwen #1 wiki has it as double action or heroes reborn #2 but she’s only in those books as Dr Gwen before she takes up the Mantle in Night Gwen #1.

3 Likes

Meh, a dime a dozen. :wink:

2 Likes

I have a feeling Marvel execs spin a wheel every month to figure out how many first there will be… March they spin the number seven so on their way to lunch they play I-Spy to come up with names and powers.

Good looking out. Westfield has a few main covers on sale for 2.99 and a few 1:10 design variants for $6 left if anyone wants to spec on Night Gwen now.

1 Like

You must be confusing this with Marvel Tales 170.

1 Like

The whole Heroes Reborn storyline was junk IMO. Having the multiple backstories was confusing and just seemed like bad What-If stories. I understand the different Squadron timelines, but is Hyperion in the current timeline/reality good or bad, and is he stronger than the Sentry or Thor or the Hulk ? Also, I wish there was some clarification on white/black Kyle Richmond ?

I bought the 1:10 Night-Gwen book, but was disappointed in the story/character. Wasn’t impressed with the costume also. The current Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider costume, and her power set is great - it will be interesting to see if they come up with a better costume/power set for the new Gwen characters.

I just don’t see this Gwen-verse becoming a thing. I’m done with the mash-ups.

5 Likes

I’m OK with it IF they put some thought in it, rather than just milking it. If not a good story atleast a good costume. I mean Spider-Gwen, Spider-Noir, etc. came out of the Spider-verse stories - stories were meh, but costumes were good.

1 Like

Actually, Spider-Man Noir came out before EotSV.

I think only Peni Parker-Sp//dr and Spider-Gwen were originals that took off.

Surprised With how popular PP was she hasn’t been given a spin-off.

1 Like

The name Peni Parker makes me shudder :wink: (in Beavis & Butthead mode), but I agree that theres more that could be done with these characters. For some reason lately its, lets rehash a previous story, reinvent, mash-up characters, new characters, time-travel or what-if. There is so much character development that could be done but no ! Downside of churning out movies and easy returns, and not focusing on the base (comics/stories). Even the movies are starting to suck - Black Widow, Snake Eyes, Wonder Woman, etc. (Havent seen the other ones, so I may be biased !).

3 Likes

It pains me to bring it up but there is also the Lee exclusive to consider. The virgin will be the rarest variant.

1 Like

I enjoyed the most recent, “Heroes Reborn,” story as a big kinda-sorta, “What-If,” with minor ramifications in the regular continuity. I went in expecting extremely little, however, so my low expectations paved the way for my amusement.

To me it was just replacing the characters in the original stories with the Squadron characters, and not in a good way (not spoiling anything). I still dont know if there were ANY ramifications ! Also hate that Phoenix has been dumbed down, just like Galactus. With Hyperion you would think that there would be some major slugfest with Marvel hard-hitters, but it was such a quick series that just flew by. I think here DC does a better job with stories using the Crime Syndicate rather than Marvel with the Squadron Sinister.
But to stay on topic, they didnt really do much with Night-Gwen, and the name itself is stupid IMO.

Night-Gwen is kind of a dull nickname. I prefer Nightman. He and Dayman often fight.

4 Likes

Imagine if Batman called himself “Bat-Bruce”

Super-Clark

The Amazing Spider-Peter…

You should not have part of your name as your alter ego …superhero 101…

3 Likes

I’ve been a true believer of Hawkeye vs Deadpool #0 since day 1, will be interesting to see if they explain why Spider Gwen and Jane Thor are in that book.

4 Likes

Kids traveled across universes and when they returned decided to make costumes of the superheroes they met from the experience.