Half Price Books Store? Worth a stop?

Hi Everyone! I’m in an area that has a Half Price books. I’ve never been to one (or seen one). I have limited time in plotting a comic shopping course (wife is in charge today).

Is it worth the time? Or skip and hit a regular type shop instead?

Thx for any input.

I was so confused by this. My first thought was why would you NOT want to check out a place that has had price books? Then I realized this is a franchise. Never been before, so I can’t give you an answer!

1 Like

You mean like Ollie’s or a thrift store?

1 Like

@ComicBookCannon
@Toy_Maker

Apparently it is sort of a used book store/thrift store. It is a chain
I’ve seen numerous folks post about it & some good finds, but I’ve also heard some negatives (like them putting price stickers directly on comics).
If I had unlimited time, I’d stop regardless.

1 Like

They arent as good as they used to be. I would go and find cheap oop Graphic novels to flip, but the ones around here now price up out of print stuff.

1 Like

Here’s my take on Half Price (in Central Texas they’re everwhere, I think we have 4 or 5 in Austin alone).

It’s hit or miss. To really get good stuff, you almost have to visit every couple of days. Some stores are lighter than others when it comes to comics or graphic novels. There’s a central location that has a huge amount of comics but I can’t make it down there daily (nor would I go daily, not during pandemic and only if I was really close to it).

So is it worth checking out? Most certainly. Are you gonna score a hot book? Probably not but you don’t know unless you show up to look.

3 Likes

Ok. I never heard about that store, lol. If you see a 2nd & Charles it might be worth stopping by too. They sell used books, toys and comics. The same thing about it being a hit or miss.

1 Like

Look for Star Wars Graphic novels and TPB and get back with me ! :slight_smile:

If you need my texting # let me know

1 Like

More like 2nd and Charles

1 Like

They can be worth it if you have the time to dig. I got a Daredevil #7, 1st red costume, for $25 once. Granted it is super beat up, but it’s one I’ve always wanted. Also got #8, 1st Stiltman for $10. I think it also depends on who is curating their comics. If it’s someone who knows books, then they might pull the good stuff for themselves or price it accordingly. At the same store, they had a New Avenges #10, 1st Thane, for $25, which wouldn’t be an obvious book for a noncollector unless they’re running everything past ebay.

1 Like

My Half Price was trying to sell my Signed Bendis Civil War II book for $100… I think I had it listed on eBay for like 3 months for $5 and no one wanted it… I bet that book will be in their “display” for quite sometime…

1 Like

I have been to one…twice…The best I pulled from there was the 1-5 run of Paybacks (Donny Cates) for $5 total. They have what they deem “keys” in a lock case that you can thumb threw the top through a narrow open slit…because of that…they are all bent on the top in the very middle and overpriced from what I have seen.

However, on the flipside…I have seen videos of others pulling some quality stuff for a decent price…just not anywhere close to me.

I always enjoy going to my local HPB for stuff. You never know what you’ll find!

1 Like

@agentpoyo really? lol TFAW offered to me at $5 the year it came out… uhm yeah it’s going to sit up there for a bit!

Don’t discount Ollies. They have a ton of brand new hardcovers, TPB, Omnibus, and actual multi packs of comics.

2 Likes

Yeah, my Ollies has a ton of graphic novels/hardcovers. They had a bunch of batman hardcovers for like $6 that were selling for $20 on ebay. I haven’t really dug through the multi-packs they carry, saw some Spawn and old spiderman in them.

2 Likes

I’ve bought so many Star Wars TPB at Ollie’s for $2.99. I love that place lol

1 Like

I love Half Price Books. I go on the regular and have found more amazing gets (finds at low prices) than I have in any LCS. I actually just left one a few minutes ago. But it does always depend on who is selling what. I may go a month without finding anything I’m interested in.

1 Like