HOTTEST COMIC ON THE PLANET... right now

This thread is for what you think the hottest comic on the planet is right now and why you think so!

List the book you think is worthy of being the hot one regardless if it is short lived or one that will stand the test of time! It doesn’t matter if it is already listed or if you have an all new comic to list, give your opinion!

I will start off with a book that until recently has been a slow burn; Star Wars #42! First comic appearance of Boba Fett and one of the crown jewels for Every Boba Fett collector!

Ebay shows a CGC 9.6 sale at $1000 today. There was a best offer option on that but shows it was purchased outright at the full price. There were two others listed at $1000 with best offers accepted so who knows what the final sales were but with an additional 9.6 sold at $799 those offers were probably right around that or higher. Just a day earlier a 9.6 sold for $680… Seems like a deal compared to sales today now that Boba Fett is looking like he will be a regular on the Mandalorian…for a little while anyway.

With those 9.6 sales it is only a short time until we see how they impact all other grades, especially 9.8 copies. The last being sold on Ebay for $1150 (CBCS) just a few days ago. All grades are seeing price spikes and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Star Wars #42 is light saber hot and one of the hottest comics in the galaxy right now!!! No getting around it!

1 Like

This is just going to turn into a pumping thread…

But ok, lets do this…

5 Likes

I don’t know, I guess it could but that can be just about any book on a spec site that is talked about. I was more curious with what each person thinks is the “hot one” right now and why. I also thought it might be interesting to see which comics get talked up about often than others.

Is this series ever gets optioned I don’t even know what the ceiling will be for it!

1 Like

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #1. A $10 book just six months ago which could have been found in the $1 bin. Now a CGC 9.8 goes for $850 and the Newsstand version is about $2800. Canadian Version even more.

2 Likes

Anything early TMNT or Star Wars Dark Horse. Both are setting new records, respectively, with every sale, practically.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of books that appeal to multiple audiences. Doesn’t get much hotter than this one.
This book is desired by large number of folks, even those who aren’t necessarily comic collectors.
Also, the fact that Dave Filoni did the cover…even better. Again, makes it collectible to folks who otherwise wouldn’t care about the artist.
TheCloneWars1final

3 Likes

This is funny because I was talking to Poyo today about how I bought my first Star Wars 42 off eBay in the 90s for less than $5.00. I remember that purchase specifically because I rounded up change from around the house and literally sent an envelope of change to the Seller to pay for the listing. Early eBay memories.

3 Likes

I was going through some boxes in the attic and found an old Ebay post card from the late 90’s advertising that they had over half a million items for sale in 800 categories. Times have changed.

I don’t think it’s that at all. Unless someone talks about a book that clearly does not have legit legs to it. Just keep he discussion based on facts that make it the hottest book. I think TODAY SW42 may in fact be it. I think Boba just had more words last night than in the previous 40+ years…including the Star Wars Christmas special cartoon.

I have a 9.2 CBCS. I sometimes think I should had sprung for just a bit more and picked up a 9.4 or 9.6…but I paid $100…that was my budget at the time and now that grade is in the $300s…it’s a PC book anyway, so Its all good in the end.

2 Likes

Haha. Yeah. My parents had questions when eBay postcards arrived at my house. The funny thing about that SW42 purchase was that it wasn’t even the main thing advertised on the listing. They were talking a lot about 39 with the AT-AT cover and how beautiful a copy it was and then simply said “5 other ESB comics.” Lando’s first appearance was in that lot too. Silly.

1 Like

I gotta nice first Lando SW 43 9.6. Newsstand.

Forget Mando, give me more Lando!

2 Likes

I sold my SW42 9.8 CGC about 4 weeks ago. I got $1275 US/shipped. I thought that book would max out during this season of Mando. I made a 1000% profit on the book, so, no complaints.
I think @Devildog may be closer to the SW button with his Clone Wars #1, 1st Ahsoka. I think she is going to be really big.Screenshot_20201205-222336

Sure my last 8 comic sales are Star Wars but The Crow #1 1st print is insane now $3000 9.6s, if a 9.8 ever came to auction it will break into the $10,000 club. All this with no tv show no movies in over a decade. So when we actually get The Crow reboot and we will even if it’s a hbo max tv show expect TMNT #1 first print prices.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to choose just one. I like these kinds of questions, though. What’s curious is that we saw a big surge in Miles Morales/Gwen books during the middle of the year, and while those books are still commanding a nice price, the buzz has completed shifted. The Knull books like the Venom 3 third print were massive around the same time, but they have dropped in price. I must note that I can’t believe the Miles Morales Previews Book is raking in so much, but the market is strange. Anyway, now we’re seeing, as many of you have already commented, a huge surge in TMNT books that had previously been quite cheap, and a massive surge in all things Star Wars–primarily the Dark Horse stuff. Of course, the early Marvel issues with Boba Fett are still commanding top dollar. The big ones aren’t going anywhere, though–TMNT 1, Albedo 2, Clone Wars 1, The Crow 1, ASM 300 and pretty much all of the early ASM issues are perpetual winners. Buttttttt, if I had to choose just one hottest book in the world right now, I’d have to go with…DARKHAWK! Finally, his time has come!

2 Likes

A high grade (9.6 or 9.8) copy of Albedo Anthropomorphics #2 just sold for crazy money too.
$46,000 comes to mind, but it’s been a long, smokey day for me. I’ll see if I can find the info on that sale.

1 Like

If Cyberpunk 2077 game and anime show do really well, then I could see TRAUMA TEAM #1 EXCLUSIVE VARIANT BUNDLE selling around 10k CGC 9.8 within two years from now because there are only 300 copies of it in the world.If the game explodes and sells like 60 million copies,then the sky’s the limit. Last month an ungraded copy of CYBERPUNK 2077: TRAUMA TEAM #1 EXCLUSIVE VARIANT BUNDLE sold for like 1,500 ungraded. CYBERPUNK 2077: TRAUMA TEAM #1 EXCLUSIVE VARIANT BUNDLE was released like 4 months ago on Dark Horse direct and it selling for 60 bucks including taxes and shipping.

1 Like

I feel that the next comic book character to really show potential to at least double is Riri Williams in her first full appearance in Invincible iron man 9. Cover A is only around $300-$350 right now for a 9.8 CGC copy on eBay and a 9.8 AOA variant sold for around $1,000. These are relatively cheap investments because they should double or triple in a few years. I think she will have the same potential Kamala and Spider-Gwen showed with their 1st appearances in All new marvel now point one and Edge of Spider-Verse 2. In addition, the ratio variants of Kamala and Spider-Gwen’s 1st appearances are worth thousands of $'s now. I feel she is one of the most important recent new characters for Marvel, so her 1st full appearance is the safest bet to invest in. But of coarse, Miles Morales will be the best long term modern comic book character to invest in.

1 Like