I Like What I'm Reading (not spec'ing, but like actually reading)!

I’m currently and thoroughly enjoying Grant Morrison’s run on Doom Patrol.

2 Likes

I read The Electric Black Presents #1 this week and thought it was pretty cool (definitely different). May go back and pick up the earlier books to read as well as the next few.

1 Like

I was on the fence with that one. Now I’ll give it a shot.

Electric Black is good.

Looking at next week’s FOC books, Picture of Everything Else looks really cool. It’s a horror book about what if the painter from the Portrait of Dorian Gray painted other pictures, that also had strange powers. The art looks really sweet too. Dan Watters has two books in December that look great, Home Sick Pilots and this one!

Picture of Everything Else #1 (Cover A - Mohan)

Picture of Everything Else #1 (Cover A - Mohan)

1 Like

Yeah, this one looks like it has potential. My only issue sometimes with Vault is the delays between issues or they just completely vanish.

But I liked Watters on even his Image Title Coffin Bound. I only got a few issues in but was waiting for the trades to read more in one sittings.

I actually quite liked what I read in, “Hot Valley Days and Cocaine Nights.” It is a new three-issue mini-series from Antarctic Press. It is about a female drug kingpin who wants to get out of the game but is getting into big danger due to her desire to quit. I was entertained.

1 Like

That looks like it has a cool Vice City vibe to it!

I found the entire run (1-25 and 1-4 of the spin-off mini) of The Manhattan Projects in the $0.50 bin today. So, $14.50 later, I have the whole thing–in spectacular shape. The premise for this looks great, and from what I’ve read so far I am thinking I will really enjoy it.

EDIT: also found a copy of the 2020 FCBD X-Men that I missed at my LCS because I wasn’t quick enough getting in to get a copy.

Manhattan Projects was an awesome read…

2 Likes

Sweet, I can’t wait to dig in! My graduate degree is in physical chemistry, so the (science) content seems right up my alley.

Yeah, I’m a science nerd myself (without any degree)… Always told myself if I went back to school, I’d do something science related, physics, astrophysics, evolution or something along those lines…

1 Like

It doesn’t take a degree to do (important, even!) science-y stuff :stuck_out_tongue: You could always do something like:

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu
https://foldingathome.org
or, one of these: https://astrobites.org/guides/citizen-science-efforts/

(and not to mention that every time you cook, you’re basically doing chemistry)

Yeah, I’ve setup some of the distributed computing stuff before.

Oh and I’m too old now to go back to school… it sounds nice but I plan on doing a whole lot of star gazing (and spacing out) in my retirement.

100% sure that unless someone is currently in short-term hospice they’re not too old to go back to or to school. My grandma edited her friends second doctoral thesis a few years ago, and the guy was in his 80’s.

I also just signed up to get my Kubernetes Certification after attending Kubecon this past week. I don’t know what I’m thinking though… I have a day job, I’ve been doing contract work alongside it (oh yeah, extra pay), CHU activities… got new puppy last week and now gonna do self paced online certification… I guess sleep can wait until 2022…

1 Like

Haha… that’s true. But my plans are to turn into Peter Gibbons in retirement… I plan on doing absolutely nothing (except wake up, drink my coffee and hopefully stare at some beautiful scenery for a few hours and perhaps go hiking later that day and spend a lot of time in nature).

1 Like

Well, if he was in his 80s, that means he really doesn’t have to worry about paying off his student debt. :thinking:

1 Like

I have been reading all The Cimmerian mini series they are pretty good and I really loved the 2 Immortal Hulk one shots, the one with Spider-Man and The Threshing Place. I know The Threshing Place did not get much love on here but I thought it was a great read, and it had a first appearance also.

1 Like

I was only dogging it’s cover art… there’s no doubt that Lemire did a great job with the story. I haven’t read it myself, was gonna wait for it to land on MU to read.