I Like What You Got! (8/28)

True but like jclu mentioned, I could find tons of direct in nice shape, newsstand, not as much.

My amazing Fantasy 15 was $1,000 20 years ago

Seriously disagree based on just how skewed those numbers were. These are Marvel numbers from EIC Jim Shooter. I agree newsstands are tough to find in high grades but definitely not during ‘79 which is when they started doing direct editions. High grade newsstands late 90’s and especially post 2000’s now those are generally very very hard to find in high grade. For example try to find a Wolverine 1000 high grade newsstand. If you find one it’s more than likely mine. Or maybe Fathom Vol 1 Newsstands, Early Darkness or Witchblades, etc. You’ll find a few but again probably mine if they’re found on eBay.

OP here,

I respect the newsstand vs. direct conversation you are having, but I feel it is derailing the intended purpose of the thread.

Good back and forth, however I highly recommend splintering the debate into a new topic if you wish to continue the discussion such that it isn’t a distraction to this one, and vice versa.

Thank you! :v:

Yeah… back on topic. Tell us what you bought this past week people… :wink:

I received my latest batch of Eternals from CGC today. Pretty good haul. I pressed each of them before I submitted and overall I would say I bumped up the grades 1.5 on average. With this batch I thought the Eternals #2, 9.0 should have been a 9.2 and the Eternals #2, 8.5 should have been a 9.0. On the flip side I really though the Eternals #1 after the press would grade a 9.4 but got a 9.6. I also thought the Eternals #2 9.6 and one of the #11s in 9.6 for sure would get a 9.4 but both got a 9.6. No complaints and pressing them at home save a about $150 not to mention the extra time.

I have one more batch of high/higher grade key Eternals books to send. Then I have to get to sending in other Phase four books. Want to be completely ready for when trailers start to hit next year!

I gotta start learning how to press.

#someday

Do you have pics of your press machine? I want to build one that home so that I can learn to press books. Or do you have any advise?

I think they’re just tee shirt presses you can buy off amazon…

Gotcha. I’ll look into that. Thank you

Joker was good.

What drogio said. Mine was a typical T-shirt press off of Amazon for $135 with free Prime shipping. Some are better than others and some are bigger than others. Really depends on what you are looking to do. Just comics or maybe Magazine size.Stuff like that. Best thing to do is watch a lot of videos on Youtube. Many different techniques out there. Find what works best for you. After that make sure you have cheap books with non color breaking flaws you can test pressing out on. Some trial and error and time will be needed. If you ever do get a press you can always ask me as well. So far I have had really good results.

Thanks Rob. I’ll look into getting one of those.

There’s also two books on amazon that I think are developed by two seasoned pressors . One is by Jakob Gadbois and the other Mike Sorensen. They participate on the cbcs/cgc comic book collectors and pressers club Facebook page. If you’re not a member of that group you may want to look into it too.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

My other two purchases from last week arrived today. So stoked…

2 Likes

niiiiice

Absolute carnage 2
Tmnt 97b x2
Planet of the nerds 5
Bad reception 1
Psycholist 1
Carnage USA 2, 3, 4, 5
Found the carnage for $0.95 each. Missing #1 but I ll settle for other four. Missed Venom 17. Bummer. So is sleepers first appearance first host 3 and the first cover is first host 4? There seams to be a couple different opinions on the matter.

Sleepers 1st appearance is Venom 165.

So is it sleepers 1st cover? I guess i am missing something as to why this issue 17 is so important. @D-Rog I like the idea of this topic. I if you keep doing it every week you should name it “bragging rights” . People can vote on who had the best pick up.Maybe @agentpoyo can make a badge for the weekly winner? Just a thought.