Image Workers Unionize

I’m not interested in debating the politics of unions as I know everyone has differing opinions. That said, I am curious if this will do much to their output at all, have any impact on spec, etc.

I treat Unions like HOA’s…. It’s a love hate relationship…

The final goal proposes a collective voting action against creators “found to have engaged in abuse, sexual assault, racism and xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, ableism, etc,” which could result in cancelling their publication."

This sounds like Orwellian thought crime enforcement. “Hey! So and so said something I don’t agree with! Cancel them!” and before you say that racism should be as plain as the nose on your face, never forget that we live in a world where a PB&J, Math, and even Darth Vader have been called racist.

We should probably stick to this side of the topic @davidbitterbaum pointed out instead of dragging out the political side…

1 Like

It does say FOUND to have engaged in, meaning it’s confirmed not just witch hunting, which I agree with. Anytime workers are advocating for more rights, it is a step in the right direction.

As to the topic, I think it may slow down some output at first while everyone is negotiating, but overall I don’t think it will really have any kind of impact on Image comics.

is it for the workers, writers, and artists?

Freelancers can’t unionize due to some old U.S. laws. It is more the full-time staff who are doing this.

To keep us on the topic, I think this could result in other publishers taking notice and having unions form, which could impact releases and stuff if there is ever a huge issue between a union and a publisher. Overall, I don’t think it will impact spec too much?

As we can spec before the product is released, most spec occurs afterwards I think. So I don’t think this would impact overall speculation on a whole that much.

Good for them.

welp, Image Comics is now the first comic publisher to have a union.

I guess I’m confused because they are already a creator owned publisher so…?