Interesting Sales

What seems suspect to me is why the books didn’t grade 9.9 the first time. I mean they gave out 9.8 and 9.9 previously so why now are we seeing books hit 9.9 that never hit before?

4 Likes

They never intended to give out 9.9s but now they need a new revenue stream because submissions are down and the really high priced keys are dwindling. They finally figured out that they could make way more money if they give this artificial grade and collect the huge premium of a percentage of the new FMV.

Btw that GSX 9.9 isn’t even a 9.9. If you go take a look at the high res photo of the book on cgc’s site, it shouldn’t even be a 9.8 imo. There is evidence that it was pressed improperly and that the staples pressed against the front cover where it actually broke color. I don’t have a GSX 1 with me to compare but I haven’t seen that color break so obvious in other copies before.

About a year or 2 ago when I was new to pressing, I had a copy of Bee and Puppycat 1 that I pressed and sold. It was going for about $50 at that time. The book looked fine but there were a few dimples and dents I was sure I could press out. Anyways I put too much pressure on it and after the press you could see the staples making an indent all the way through the cover (no color break). I was in a state of panic. I then pressed it several more times to flatten it out before I sold it.

Mine didn’t even break color and there was no way I would’ve even listed that copy as VF before I fixed it. The GSX 9.9 broke color and you could clearly see the outline of the staples.

2 Likes

I wonder if 9.8s come back lower than that

It won’t, it’ll come back at least a 9.8. if it comes back lower it would confirm what we already know and that their grading is bogus. It would also discourage you from sending other 9.8s to get regraded.

2 Likes

Way back when CGC graded the 9.9 Hulk 181 I had a chance to take a look at it at SDCC. From what I recall I noticed it had two very tiny stress marks. I thought it looked like a 9.8 but the dealer had hundreds of CGC books and was a big player. Those dealers have always gotten special treatment no matter who owns CGC

4 Likes

Cuz money. CGC wants that money and sees a new way to get it!

2 Likes

Yes. Still waiting. Still early regardless.

And I didn’t say there would be none. So I’m not sure what your point is.

Does it not come back raw? Don’t they have to crack the slab to accurately examine it? A 9.9 pre-screen doesn’t mean you get a 9.8 slab back.

It’s 9.9 or bust (it open).

Unless people have been sending in 9.6 (CBCS or CGC) slabs for 9.8 prescreen and getting them back intact.

It’s been awhile, but i thought typically you crack the book out and send it in raw. For them to screen the book it has to be raw. They don’t screen it through the case. The only time i have seen slabs sent in is for re-casing, preserving signature series or cross slab (from cbcs to cgc). At one point, I thought cgc also charged to crack out your slab for you(?)

If you do a 9.9 screen, if the book doesn’t hit 9.9 (at least for 9.8 pre-screen), they charge you 9 dollars and send the books that don’t hit the grade back as raw (bag and boarded)

1 Like

There’s gonna be a “few” losses of $9 here and there :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure what the FMV of GSXM1 9.8 is, but I see lowest on ebay is $30k, and comiclink there’s a bid of $28k

So let’s say conservatively it’s valued at $25k. That means is they crack it out for 9.9 prescreen and it fails, you’re paying $1,000 to have it re-graded and put back into a 9.8 slabs (4% FMV). And that’s if your’re “lucky” it doesn’t come back lower given all the handling of the book in between. Thats a HUGE risk…not for the faint of heart.

That’s where CGC is going to make a killing…9.8s that don’t pass 9.9 pre-screen and people desperate to get their 9.8 back.

When I have a moment I’ll have to figure out where the knee in the curve is…how many 9.8 regrades = 1 9.9 passing grade. That’s probably a formula CGC is playing around with…it’s all about releasing just enough 9.9s to keep the 9.8 submittals coming. Dangling the carrot. If they release too many 9.9s then that’ll rattle the regular flow of modern non-prescreens as people will no longer feel its worth sending books in as 9.8 is no longer desirable. That would be a failing business model. So it’s about trickling in a little at a time to maximize profits while not negatively impacting market values of 9.8s.

Again, I’m assuming they are removing the books from the cases for a legit pre-screen. Need some you-tuber to post about their experience sending in a 9.8 and having it rejected.

3 Likes

What a business model. Fast forward 5 years and they can do it all over again with 10.0s

5 Likes

There’s monetary beauty in a great scam

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this…. If these 9.8’s are really 9.9’s, then why weren’t they graded that way in the first place???

2 Likes

Money

2 Likes

ding ding ding :wink:
Precisely!
Integrity? - nahh
Responsibility? - nahh
Improvement in accuracy? - nahhh
$$$ - Now we’re talkin.
That’s how the hobby, or shall I say, business works now.

Same question I asked, why wouldn’t these grade at 9.9 previously? I think everyone else already knows the answer.

3 Likes

Dad of the kid down the street comes in, I can smell the alcohol on his breath, pulls out $82 in crumpled up cash and coins and says to use it as a prepay for his son to come in and shop but not for his sister. He’s also not allowed to get it back in anything other than product.

I think I prefer the other one this morning. Grandma brings in a little boy, buys 4 Little Golden Books, a World of Reading Step 1 Hulk book and enough action figures to get to $100 on the card charge.

Still waiting for todays first adult shopping for themselves.

2 Likes

The fact they admit some 9.8s could be 9.9s tells you everything you need to know about their approach to grading.

They should be denying any 9.8s submitted for 9.9 prescreen and stand behind their original grade assigned.

But, you know…money.

4 Likes

greed and at the same time “shops” are now getting some exclusives books directly from publisher or printer
so there is one less diamond man handling books