Interesting Sales

Just a thread to post any interesting sales you see in your journeys.

1 Like

I like this. Weird or notable stuff. Or things priced absurdly high or low!

1 Like

Wondering if its a “legit” 9.8 Jewelers

I’ve noticed a lot of Jeweler “highs” posted on KCC, despite many of them being called out by number in slab gate.

1 Like

They’re very rare.
Only 350 copies swapped in the entire world

3 Likes

Expect this book to show up on some lists this week. Can’t call it a “hot” book as one doesn’t come up for sale in high grade very often. Other than this 9.6, there are 3x 9.2s and a 9.0.

These UK series of books are nearly impossible to find in 9.8. The quality of paper, including the cover, is basically newsprint 
so it folds over very easily or tears. Plus it
Was common for kids to write their names on the front or back covers. They are magazine size, so many were not bagged and boarded, but just thrown into stacks with other magazines.

Compare this to the Canadian price variant for issue -#1 (Marvel US) which has 27 cgc 9.8s in the census.

Interestingly enough, of the 17 on the CGC census, 11 are signature series.

I was going to bid on it, but (as expected) when much higher than I could afford. I have what I think could grade a 9.0-9.2 anyway. I just haven’t sent it in for a press and grade yet.

2 Likes

For a book that doesn’t come to market that often, it’s bad 4 sales this year so far.

1 Like

A new comic book record!!!

2 Likes

Someone here said that comics may be worthless in 10 to 20 years. Don’t think that’s happening any time soon.

1 Like

That was me, and I still think that. But, the BIG BIG BIG books will still be valuable. But, I doubt many in my collection will be worth much. Not many copies of Action 1 in my boxes.

1 Like

I have a few. But they are reprints :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

Are you trying to tell me Avengelyne 1 and Earth X 12 (first Shalla-Bal) will be worthless in 10-20 years? :thinking:

4 Likes

Thank goodness I sold my copies the last couple days

Ha! Never!

I’m sure those will be worthless by Monday. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They won’t be worth much, that’s for sure
BUT, they are flavors of the month right now and will spike in price as their movies get closer and all that normal stuff, so get them cheap and sell fairly quick because those are not long term holds in the least.

1 Like

How is Ayesha / Her doing right now :face_with_spiral_eyes:
(And she’s had a couple movies already)

I suppose Marvel can make Shalla Bal the definitive Silver Surfer in the MCU for many movies after the FF movie, but
 .well
 that’s hoping for the Royal Flush at the one armed bandit.

1 Like

You can attain a 9.6 newsstand for $100 (which seems undervalued, but that’s the market)
yet someone chose to pay $1200 for a 9.8? 12x a 9.6???

Even the previous $600 sale is a bit of a stretch.

I have a 9.6 newsie
however I think I looked it over and felt it would not grade higher

3 Likes

9.8’s have been pushed so heavily for so long there are collector/speculators that won’t even consider a 9.6 which is fine with me
 As a collector first, I can get a 9.6 of a modern key which in many cases looks just as nice as a 9.8 for a fraction of the price. I do think most 9.6 books are undervalued compared to a 9.8 but I doubt that changes much any time soon.

3 Likes

Hold for the 9.9’s

3 Likes

Now that it is all but a guaranteed there will be more 9.9’s showing up CGC is going to make a killing off of people re-submitting previously slabbed 9.8’s. Money is all that matter to CGC at this point. Forget integrity and quality.

3 Likes

@D-Rog still waiting for evidence that we’ll be getting more 9.9s hitting the market soon :joy:

When that GSX 1 9.9 sets the new record, we’ll be seeing a mad dash of people trying to get their 9.8s resubmitted and regraded. There’s a huge premium when the census is low and people will want to get theirs in early before it’s too late. Most will come back regraded and reslabbed as a 9.8 again but SOME will make the cut and get that 9.9. There’s a reason why cgc put out that video on what they look for in a 9.9 and 10.0. After 25 years of secrecy they finally decided to do it now? It’s so transparent what they are doing.

Been hearing a lot of talk people are upset that the first 9.9 GSX 1 ever in the census went to the owner of Comic Connect’s auction house with which cgc does huge business with. It’s all really suspect, they’ve also set another record of Tales of Suspense 39 9.8 at over $800k. Regular people aren’t getting these grades and some are accusing cgc of getting paid for grades.

4 Likes