Is now the time to start loving older X-men reprints?

Other than the awesomeness of Moon Knight, I have always loved mutants! This is certainly much older speculation, but X-men reprints have seen little increase, but is this the beginning of that change? I am not someone who pumps and dumps, but have never understood why their reprints have not seen much love. I do have a complete run of X-men from 89 up, including everything up to the newest iteration, as well as complete sets of Classic X-men and the two sets of Amazing Adventures.

The potential begins with X-men 67-93; if you are not aware, these books are all reprints of earlier X-men issues with new covers. The run is not fully comic for comic either, especially the beginning, but you can round out a collection from the late 20ā€™s up to issue 45 with these books. But the value? We have had the argument many times on what is a reprint, even with a new cover, it is still the same ā€œgutsā€ on the inside, but I believe that the ads were more current, so not a 1:1 reprint. Though a bit behind in comparison to their originals, these books have had more traditional gains compared to the other two reprinted volumes; example, you can get 45 at 9.6 for about $400, or at a 4.5 for about $60 compared to 93 (reprinting #45) at 9.6 for $375 and a 4.5 for about $30.

With Wandavision, Uncanny X-men 4 is the key issue, but at upwards of $9000, I would say that is beyond the reach of the majority of collectors. But I do not hear a peep about Amazing Adventures 1-14, from around 1973, being a viable alternative option. Each issue reprints part of the original X-men 1-6 in each issue through 12, with 13 and 14 each reprinting issues 7 and 8. Looking on the bay, you can pick up 1-14 for $50. What crap valueā€¦but why? Marvel Tales 106, which reprints Amazing Spider-Man 129, is a fraction of the value, but still commands nearly $1000 for a 9.8. Other than collected hardbound or paperback collections, there arenā€™t any other reprints of those early X-men issues other than Amazing Adventures. What gives?

Then there is the Classic X-men, from1986 to around 1995, that reprinted X-men Giant Sized 1 and 94 to around 206, with a few ā€œholesā€ that were not reprinted (Iā€™m looking at you 141 and 142), and in some cases, do have some added content to the original. These have started to see a gradual increase in the past few years, and high-graded copies of the early issues can set you back up to $180, which in some cases is almost half the value of the original issue. But, with that being said, you can still get 6.5-9.0 raws of these comics for about $5. Five measly dollars.

So I ask the CHU community; is the time ā€œnowā€ to be buying on the cusp of mutants arriving into the MCU, or will we never see these reprints see any lasting short or long-term speculation value because of the skyrocketing value of the originals?

2 Likes

By the looks of it mutants will be arriving in the MCU over the next couple of years
I canā€™t say too much about mutant spec but this was a good read Iā€™m interested to see what other members say about this
What other ā€˜Keysā€™ does everyone recommend to pick up or keep an eye out for?

Is it preferable to buy a reprint or a lower grade (buy what you can afford) first print? I have been buying mid grade issues. They donā€™t look as pristine, however.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always liked the chromium classic X-men key reprints the Spidey chromium classics go for big dollars.

2 Likes

I am close to having X-Men #101 and up. Few holes I am plugging but getting there. Older X-Men have been steadily rising for awhile. Should continue.

1 Like