Marvel Announce War of the Bounty Hunters Boba Fett Cross-Over Comic Event Starting in May

Didn’t take them long to officially announce what yesterday’s teaser was all about:

5 Likes

Sounds good… possibly new bounty Hunters?

Possibly, yes. It crosses over into Aphra as well which often brings new characters into the mix!

What’s interesting to me is that Boba Fett has his blue and red ROTJ jetpack on the cover, but his green one in the interior pages. Do we get to see why he gets a new or repainted jetpack in this crossover?

This limited series crossover actually makes me less excited about it. I’m not a big fan of limited series titles, generally speaking.

I’ll probably pass on it and just stock up on the Mando cameo issue :slight_smile: . How old was Mando in the Empire/Jedi era? Teen? 20?

Soule tweeting:

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS, the biggest and baddest Star Wars comics crossover of the modern Marvel era... begins in May. What is it? Pretty simple: Boba Fett vs... everyone.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS runs from May to October, kicking off with an issue from me and my longtime friend and collaborator Steve McNiven. (We did Death/Return of Wolverine together, Uncanny Inhumans etc.) He’s INCREDIBLE, and I think this is his best work in ages. I mean...

Steve inked himself (to amazing effect), and the colors there are by the staggeringly talented Laura Martin. It’s always special whenever I get to work with Steve, and this is no exception. There’s a fight sequence in that issue that (literally) has to be seen to be believed.

The story: Boba Fett has Han Solo at the end of EpV, but we know it takes him a while to get to Jabba in EpVI (he’s not there yet when Lando and Chewie go to Tatooine just after Empire.) What took so long? Well, someone steals Han, and Boba has to get him back. NO MATTER WHAT.

That journey, which has MANY twists and turns, puts Boba up against the galaxy’s heaviest hitters, since basically all of the big factions and players have an interest in grabbing Han Solo. I mean, think about it...

The Imperials want Han Solo because he’s a high-level Rebel and source of intel. Vader wants him because Han’s the jerk who shot up his fancy TIE and let Luke blow up the Death Star at the end of A New Hope.

The Rebels want Han back because he’s their friend, colleague, and in at least one case, they’re in love with him.

Jabba the Hutt wants Han because he owes him money. Valance wants to help Han because he owes him. Aphra doesn’t care about Han but does care about money. And many more folks, from Black Sun to the Pykes... Han’s tangled with just about everyone in his day.

Against that churning backdrop of power and conflicting interests, we have poor Boba Fett, a simple man just making his way through the galaxy, who’s had his property stolen. He’s going to get it back, and he’s going to get paid. Simple. Just like Fett himself.

(The loose inspiration for this story is the classic 1967 Jon Boorman film POINT BLANK, starring Lee Marvin and based on the first Parker novel by Donald Westlake, The Hunter. If you haven’t seen it, that’s your homework between now and May.)

That said, there’s a LOT to War of the Bounty Hunters. Above is just the setup. It gets wild and complex and super fun, with amazing twists and surprises. I love Star Wars, and this is the kind of massive story I know I’d want to see. (And I get to play with ALL the toys, too.)

Also superb is that I get to work with all of the amazing writers and artists working on the Star Wars line right now! @gregpak on Vader, @crashwong on Aphra, @ethanjsacks on Bounty Hunters... and @RamonRosanas is drawing the crossover issues with me in the main Star Wars title.

Everyone’s doing their part, and it’s been fantastic to build the stories. Can’t forget @TommyGWrites or @MarkPaniccia or @cbcebulski in Marvel editorial, and @msiglain, @missingwords, @robcsimpson and Pablo Hidalgo at Lucasfilm for all their help too.

I’m sure I’ll be talking about this story much more between now and May, but I can leave it here for now. Boba Fett is clearly *having a moment*, and it’s really fun to get to tell a tale about him. I hope you’ll check it out.

P.S. This is not Dexter Jettster, as much as I love that particular greasy spoon-owner. This is another member of the same species. His name is Doc Leroy.

What Mando cameo issue?

The yet to be announced, but inevitable cameo in issue 4 to boost sales. Probably. Maybe. Hell, I have no idea.

1 Like

1 Like

I don’t understand. The imperials (Vader himself) allowed Boba to take Han from cloud city. He wanted luke, Han was a test to see if Luke would survive the freezing process.

Who ever wrote this does not know Star Wars. Was it Soule?

I always loved that Moon Knight cover, but I would honestly have never associated it with the Platt cover had he not mentioned it.

2 Likes