Matt Wagner’s Grendel Coming to Netflix

There have long been talks about Matt Wagner’s most famous character, Grendel, coming to the big screen. Talks have been going on about it since the 90’s. Today it was announced that Netflix has picked up and 8 episode show based on Grendel.

The villainous Grendel and his main foil Argent the Wolf first appears in Comico Primer #2, one of Matt Wagner’s earliest works. Grendel got his own (mini)series a year later in 1983’s Grendel #1 and then launched a 40 issue ongoing series starting with 1986’s Grendel #1. Wagner was never happy with his early work and redid the story in Devil By the Deed Graphic Novel. People have been buying the 1986 series in droves today since the announcement came out, but it is not the book you want. Grendel’s first color appearance (which is odd since his suit is black and white) was in Mage #6 which also predates the ’86 Grendel #1.

Deadline reported the story earlier:

Netflix has given an eight-episode series order to Grendel, a series based on the masked vigilante from Matt Wagner’s popular, award-winning Dark Horse comic book series, with Abubakr Ali (Power Book II: Ghost, Katy Keene) set to star in the titular role. With Ali’s casting, he becomes the first Arab Muslim male actor to portray a series lead in a comic book adaptation. The series, written and executive produced by Resident Evil and Supernatural alum Andrew Dabb, comes out of Netflix’s first look deal with Dark Horse Entertainment.

Wagner executive produces the series alongside Dark Horse Entertainment’s Mike Richardson, Keith Goldberg and Chris Tongue. Dark Horse Entertainment and Netflix previously collaborated on The Umbrella Academy, Jonas Åkerlund’s Polar and are currently in production on the animated series Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles.

Wagner shared the following statement about the upcoming adaptation: “I couldn’t be more thrilled about the Grendel saga, one of the longest-running independent comics series, finally being translated into live-action for the screen. Under the sharp guidance of showrunner Andrew Dabb, our incredible creative team, sure-to-be stellar cast and Dark Horse Entertainment have teamed with Netflix to produce this provocative adaptation that will bring my characters and concepts to an all new audience and yet still provide excitement and surprises for die-hard fans. I’m especially excited to see Abubakr Ali bring the character of Grendel/Hunter Rose to life — he has the charisma, style and vital edginess that I’ve been envisioning in the role for years.”

The cast includes:
Newman appears as Jocasta Rose – First Appearance Grendel #1

Black Antelope will take on Argent – First Appearance Comico Primer #2

Zima will play Liz Sparks – First Appearance Grendel Red, White, and Black #4

Corrigan joins Grendel as Barry Palumbo – First Appearance Grendel #2

Ho will play Stacy Palumbo – First Appearance Grendel #2

Palladino takes on Teddy Ciccone – First Appearance Grendel #1

Allen will play Annabelle Wright

Mientus will play Larry Stohler – First Appearance Grendel #2

2 Likes

And already posted this on another part of the forum but

1 Like

Will the show be all black and white with splashes of red? I demand to know!

I have a friend who loves Grendel. They are not gonna be happy.

You mean me? I am not happy.

Then I have two friends who are upset!

I own Primer, Comico 1-3 Grendel, the full run of the ongoing series. And then all the Grendel tales afterwards. Plus all the full series of Mage which had Grendel back up stories. Pretty much every appearance.

Yeah that sucks!

read my comment above…