Midnighter? Authority?

Hey all—I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about these characters or the comics they are in. Obviously, they are on the radar (and have been for some time now), but I’m just curious for those of you that are familiar…is Midnighter…all the other characters worthy of attention?

I have a few copies of the important books but they haven’t been easy finds. They are already pretty pricey. I just have to wonder about what the potential “could” be down the line if they were done properly?

Again, never read them, never collected them. It just seems like one of the very few potential bright spots/possibilities for the future that could end up being a smart play. I saw a copy of the 1st Midnighter available but it wasn’t cheap. I thought the same thing about books like UF4, Invincible #1, Spiderman Noir #1 etc…they weren’t cheap but I passed on them and now they are waaaaay more expensive.

Thanks for any insight/thoughts on these characters/comics. Appreciate your expertise as always.

1 Like

I like the Stormwatch and Authority stuff by Ellis/Millar/Morrison/etc. If done well I could see spec value for them. I worry they will be the bad guys in the Superman flick and end up defeated at the movie’s conclusion and then not return and lose spec value tho.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. Of all the “new” stuff, it just made me wonder if they (done properly) would be the sort of characters that could become the next “cool thing”.

Midnighter is also openly homosexual and has that following going for him, too. I think it is a wise investment but that just my two Pennie’s and by no means advice.

2 Likes

WB/DC needs some hard rated R superhero movies…

2 Likes

Midnighter and Apollo are both members of Authority and are also a gay couple. Apollo is the good cop to Midnighter bad cop. Midnighter is completely psychotic in his pursuit of evil and has a genuine love for violence and killing.

On top of the “normal” hero abilities (increased speed, strength, etc.), he has a second heart, the ability to ignore pain for short durations to keep fighting and a healing ability so powerful that he was able to cure himself if AIDS in a matter of weeks (Warren Ellis, ladies and gentleman).

I haven’t read anything since Midnighters self titled DC solo series in the mid-2010s, but those early Stormwatch issues were really compelling and the dialogue is extremely well written. Definitely worth the attention.

2 Likes

With Gunn at the helm there will probably some… I would think anyway. Just give us R rated Red Lanterns and Joker!

3 Likes

This isn’t going to be the case because The Engineer is in Superman and then the Authority movie is coming after Superman Legacy. They may be the onus for Superman forming the Justice League though due to the extremes that the Authority are willing to take. Matthew Vaughn rumored to direct the Authority. Great spec value IMO

3 Likes

First thing I’d suggest is to read the Warren Ellis Stormwatch stuff. It’s really good and involves the aliens from the Aliens movies coming to earth. Also read The Authority by Ellis & Millar. It’s essential reading and you won’t be letdown. I’ve read it several times and it never gets old.

As far as spec the key issues have a lot going for them. First openly gay super hero couple. They’ll be featured in the new DCU so it’s hot that going for it. I’m curious if you’ve read Planetary by Ellis? If you haven’t add that to your list. I think they have a good shot of coming to the DCU as well as being a must read series.

2 Likes

Certain reprints weirdly excise those bits.

Ridiculous! I wasn’t aware of that.

Yeah, rights issues get complicated. I picked up a reprinting some years back and it carefully edited out the actual Aliens from, “Alien,” and it made stuff a bit confusing. I doubt any new prints will include them with Marvel now owning Alien-related stuff.

1 Like