Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Perhaps because Iron Man #12 can still be found at cover price, but that’s already 20x its initial value?

1 Like

Marvel Boy #1 (2000) is another that’s seen increases recently. Written by the great Grant Morrison featuring the first appearance of Noh-Varr. I’ve been picking up cheap copies for years now. There’s also a harder to find Dynamic Forces variant. If you preordered it through DF you probably have gotten it recently in the mail. I’ve never seen a newsstand copy so it may not exist.

4 Likes

Completely agree

1 Like

Funny, I don’t see Miles DJing in an homage to a Famous Bruce Lee photo on this cover.

Not sure what one has to do with the other. Are you just saying you like this cover more?

Iron Man 12 Rahzzah most ordered on FOC

Just wait until Wednesday and scoop. I barely touched Primordial because I knew the orders would be HEAVY. This book was ordered MORE.

No idea what homage you’re talking about …I dont care about homages. Im talking about 1st cover appearance.

first cover of what? that suit?

This book is popping because he’s DJing and it’s an homage to a famous photo of Bruce Lee, even though the photo isn’t real. Nothing to do with the suit, homie.

Relative to Marvel boy…this book is already a bit pricey because of Jeff the Land Shark, but if we see Marvel Boy it only becomes that much better and will likely go much higher. One of those get it now or suffer the consequences type issues imo.

6 Likes

Are you seriously here just to argue with everyone? That’s not why and what monopoly was trying to point out with his original comment on why people are overpaying for Iron Man #12 variant… Geez!

3 Likes

Some people may think he’s right that the cover he posted has something to do with Iron Man 12, but people are not paying for the suit, they’re paying for the homage and DJ, so that is not “the cover” to get. It’s a cool cover, but one has nothing to do with the other.

You all invite the counter argument when you call people out for “paying too much for a book” like they’re idiots and you know which book they’re “supposed” to be speccing on. Meanwhile, you don’t even know WHY people are paying a premium for the book you’re calling them out on.

Everyone argues everything in this forum. Let’s just ban argument or replies altogether if you want to call me out. It happens in every thread from tons of people.

I didn’t get that impression at all and knew exactly what he was referring to. He’s stating his opinion on why he thinks people are overpaying for a variant while he’s spec’ing on the first appearance of the suit. Nothing more, nothing less. You come in with a completely different argument that’s not even relevant to his opinion itself.

2 Likes

No, there’s a difference between a discussion and arguing. Most here have discussions while you come in with what seems to be a chip on your shoulder when people express their opinions on subjects.

I’m pretty sure @monopolyjackson knows why people are buying IM12 at premium, he’s just stating those people are dumb for paying premium prices…

You’ve already been warned how many times publicly and privately? I’m so tired of the reports from members here in the way you come across in your responses and comments. Tone it down from this point on or face the consequences. I feel now is the time to make this moderation public.

So, if you got a problem with this, PM me or @anthony to discuss. And a reminder, read the rules cause you’ve been breaking them left and right for quite a while, “homie”…

Now, on with the “discussions”…

8 Likes

I think I may have missed the point in my earlier comment, and it seems I wasn’t the only one to misunderstand monopolyjackson’s initial contribution regarding the DJ suit - even if I am in the minority there.

From a spec perspective, there’s still time to get on the IM12 cover as it’s yet to hit the shelves, and thus time for it to potentially grow, or at least be good for a quick flip, whereas the MMSM13 cover has already potentially peaked.

I hadn’t realised that we discussing the first cover appearance of the costume, or an homage, simply a modern comic heating up.

I also didn’t find anything locksmithcomics initially said to be particularly antagonistic, and they raised a valid point about the Bruce Lee homage, as we’ve all seen plenty of homage covers pop.

I’m a little concerned their prior arguments in this forum have tainted people’s reading of their comments - which is somewhat fair, but has lead the discourse in this thread becoming more heated. Accusing one of having a chip on their shoulder is not necessarily a constructive way to progress debate to a healthier standard.

I’m not entirely sure how to close out my point (and I’m a little self-conscious of having started my last four paragraphs with ‘I’), but I think we’re all here for the same reason, and needn’t be so quick to assume antagonistic intent from others. Abrasion does not equal aggression, and on an online forum, with no other way to read tone beyond one’s words, we could all be a little more considerate that some may not be quite as empathetic in their articulation than others.

The moderation on this forum is excellent, and it’s a fun place to hang out and discuss comics with a variety of largely lovely contributors. I’d hate to see anyone miss out or lose the range of discussion because of misunderstanding - although I understand the line must be drawn somewhere.

Final thought - we could always rename the thread to Modern Comics Discussion Heating Up!

1 Like

Is there any news of Marvel Boy coming to the MCU? I wonder why it’s gaining heat now of all times.

I’ve been flipping this book for a while thanks to Jeff, but beyond the cover, WCA #10 may be the one to get.

It’s the issue Marvel Boy officially joins the team, and the first time Ramone Watts suits up as Alloy.

Her appearance in the final issue of America Chavez: Made in America makes me think there’s more to come for her in the Marvel universe, and I believe as it’s the final issue of Thompson’s run, WCA #10 has a pretty small print run.

It isn’t seeing the same heat as #7 yet, but reckon it has the potential to surpass with Ramone possibly joining the MCU down the line, given Kate Bishop and America Chavez’ impending arrivals.

4 Likes

That, “West Coast Avengers,” series, in general, was underrated and really flew under the radar. Nice to see it getting some love now for various reasons.

3 Likes

Does Jeff buy all your books? :yum:

1 Like

Some people are speculating the Korean actor for the Marvels might be Marvel boy or Amadeus Cho. So it’s just speculation

1 Like

I did hear of speculation that he’d possibly appear in The Marvels.

1 Like

That’s my secret, jcLu - I AM Jeff!

Or maybe I’m just letting the profile picture go to my head…

1 Like

My favorite Jeff Cover.

6 Likes