Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Went back and noticed that white covers for this book are going to be tough to keep clean. So I grabbed the two best looking 9.8 copies and I’ll put them away for a rainy day.

1 Like

Anthony, that is very cool! Having collected Grendel for years, I remember Matt Wagner being at comic shows and having literally stacks of Primer #2 at his table in the 90’s that he was selling for $30-$50. That is how I ended up getting my copy.

My best Grendel find was getting a Graphitti Designs Devil by Deed signed and numbered for $5 at a shop about 8 years ago. I don’t think the shop owner looked at the interior to see the signature and numbering.

Here’s hoping something actually comes of this news and we actually see something in the next few years.

1 Like

I have never once defined, or heard anyone define, Peter Parker as ‘the straight Spiderman’.

Being straight isn’t a defined quality of Pete. Never has been.

Your argument is in bad faith, and therefore isn’t valid.

You’re unjustified assumptions are wholly wrong. This whole sexuality thing is insignificant to me. I don’t view or characterize people by who they sleep with. I characterize them on their redeeming qualities. F*cking something is not a redeeming quality to me. As I said before, we all f#ck someone/something. That doesn’t, and shouldn’t, need to be what defines us.

My favourite NFL team has a gay player on the team. Carl Nassib (hero of Mondays win over BAL). Carl, to me, is a well spoken, intelligent, athletic leader, who works hard at his craft and is a great team player and contributor to his community causes. That’s how I would characterize Carl. The fact that his sexual preference is men, has nothing to do with the attributes that define Carl, to me, as an individual or quality member of our society.

6 Likes

I have had a chance to get to know Matt pretty well over the past 20 years. Here are some of the sketches I have (back when artists did con sketches)

And the Eppy Thatcher sketch from John K Snyder

And a print of Christine Spar by artist Shock and the original art. This was done for the Grendel tribute book from Baltimore comic con a few years ago.

3 Likes

Alright, move on. Talk about modern comics heating up. If you wanna discuss anything that isn’t a “modern comic heating up”, take it to PM where you both can debate it there…

3 Likes

Do you yall think this might heat up down the line?

2 Likes

@ry3zen I like the book and cover and honestly always have. I can tell you have I have seen a few different articles and videos all highlighting this book already over the last couple of months. I don’t think it will ever see a massive spike, but it has had a basic price increase if you are looking online simply because folks that have also seen these articles are trying to sell it.

I don’t think there is enough overall hype or awareness that i would ever overpay on it at this point. It is still a book that with some effort can likely be found locally or at shows in cheap bins.

Just my opinion of course. I love both Moon Knight and GR so it’s an awesome book regardless.

4 Likes

Someone mentioned this a few weeks back, but Department of Truth 5 and 6 are ghosts on eBay and selling in that $20-30 range. I’ve been grabbing these whenever I see them in the wild.

2 Likes

Really? Any real reason.

I think the print runs were probably lower than the first couple issues. Sort of like SIKTC. Issue 5 is hard to find, as it took a while to pick up. DOT was more popular from the get-go, but those issues seem hard to track down now.

6th might not have been ordered heavily the buzz had died a little just before the option news came out

Right after it was posted on here about issue 5 I found 10 or so copies online at cover. I’ve been selling them for $20 each but it’s slow going.

It’s Tynion buying them all up, to make it “hot” :wink:

1 Like

From what I can tell, the 2nd print and the 5th print are the lowest. The 2nd print came out before DOT became hot and the 5th print came out right on the heels of the 4th print.

Are you talking about issue #1?

Fair enough, but there was no debate. :wink: :beers:

1 Like

Eat the Rich 2nd print was an absolute ghost in 4 local stores the last couple days. Probably low print run on that one. I remember the cover being revealed very late and never appearing on Previews. Might be worth a pick up if you believe in the book.

I know Miles is on the cover of Dark Ages #2 with a dark symbiote, but is this Alan Quah cover for Frankie’s confirmation it is Venom that’s bonded with Miles? I’m no expert, could this be any other symbiote?

Still available at Midtown.

https://www.midtowncomics.com/product/2048891

Good looking out. 1 per customer, so they must not have ordered many either. At least for Midtown.