Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

DAMN, I’ve got about 5 extras … guess I’ll add them to my stuff to list

1 Like

List now or hold? I have a 1:50 Ross raw.

he’s gonna be in more episodes, so you have a week or 2 at the least

I have a feeling he’ll be used sparsely and become even more of a cult following…people will demand more. He’s the next Boba Fett.

Next thing you know he’s a major role in a bounty hunters series. Because we demanded it!

2 Likes

he will be in obiwan show im pretty sure, in the comics bk and obi have a big fight which leave bk with his scared face.

1 Like

Star Wars 15 and 20 (2015 Aaron, Mayhew) for those interested.

2 Likes

Both shops I stopped at today had a stack of Thor 20s. I just grabbed my one pull copy.

1 Like

Ordered some SW books for Black Krrsantan, I’ll sell the 2nd print to fund the order, from what I saw not many 2nd prints floating around. Passed on SW #15 I didn’t like the cover :stuck_out_tongue:

Come on, really? It’s okay for every individual selling comics to jack up prices to what their selling for but not an actual shop with multiple locations and all sorts of overhead? We get pissed off because we then can’t buy and sell it for a profit. So it’s okay if you’re not a shop?

1 Like

Stores can do whatever they want. However, they would be just fine charging ratio prices like tfaw but they’ve gotten greedy. Online spec sellers probably don’t pay half price for everything. Their overhead comes from having to hold books for long periods. Retailers should just know their role. Is Walmart going to stick a $100 price tag on a 3-pack cause it’s going for that much on the 2ndary market?

The 3 LCS that have survived for decades in my area do not charge more than ratio for their retailer incentives. Those that have tried to charge more have all come and gone. Suspect that this is the same elsewhere.

So support those that do not overcharge, and you would see the same happening to your LCS.

8 Likes

Very well put. I’ve seen the same in my area.

3 Likes

First cover is Star Wars #13 Mann Variant? It shows the scar on his face.
Star Wars #14 is just a cameo?

If shops were not wholesale retailers while being the front line of providing the products to the consumers buying the product at huge discount with set cover prices, then yes, I frown upon this myself.

The secondary market is fair game after you stood in line, paid actual cover price for it and that’s if you even got a copy. Retailers selling comics or any type of merchandise on release day should honor the set price. After time passes, then it’s fair game for them to sell at secondary market prices in my opinion. You have to give folks a chance at buying the book so it can actually enter the secondary market where the spec and heat comes into play… it should never start off on the retailer shelf!

Imagine walking into Foot Locker to buy your new Air Jordans for your kid. These were advertised at $200 a pair but when you go to check out, they ring it up at $600. You ask why so much? Merchant proceeds to tell you they’re now $600 because people are selling them for that much on eBay… Let’s see how well that goes!

2 Likes

You’re forgetting most shops have huge back issue sections so they make money there as well. If I go to a shop I’m looking through the back issues not the new releases. Shops can & should price some books for what their selling for. I’m not talking about crazy prices but if a new release is consistently selling for $50 comic shops should be able to charge Fair Market Value. You wanna lock in at cover or less preorder the books. Don’t complain when the new hot book you wanted for cover to sell for $50 and the shops charging that. Their in business to make money. Shit their taking all the risk. Who gives a crap if you waited in line.

2 Likes

So it’s okay for us flippers, speculators, investors to buy at cover and sell for FMV but heaven forbid the shop does the same?! Ridiculous.

Back issues, all fair game to me. I’m talking strictly new releases. The secondary market should not start on the retailer level shelves, that’s all I’m saying. If all retailers applied such things on merchandise that’s just released, we would see a huge collapse. It’s just immoral to me. You are a retailer who buys and sells inventory, you’re initial goal on new merchandise is to “move” such inventory, not jack the price up in hopes you get a fatter pay check. It’s just a disservice to your customers in my opinion.

But this all goes back to, do what you want, I don’t have to shop there and I’d imagine the shops who jack up prices on books on release day don’t stay in business for too long.

8 Likes

You’re missing the point… But whatever!

I see your point, but also others as well on this issue. It is a bit tricky.

What makes comic shops different from other retailers?

Trading cards? PS5? Shoes? Baseball caps? Baby Alive Dolls? Star Wars figures?, Cologne?

These are just a very small amount of items that can be found at retail and immediately flipped for huge gains, yet retailers do not inflate the price?

Why is it that comics are viewed so much differently. I honestly think this whole perception of insane levels of “flippers” is exaggerated. Are there really that many individuals out there who aren’t collectors of comics (by that I mean people who are also buying other comics and other items at the shop on a routine basis) whose primary purpose is that of searching/hitting every shop with a goal of buying up the current hot comic? I don’t believe so from my experience. Obviously there some. All it takes is a shop to limit purchases to one or two of a comic and these folks would be stopped with that.

1 Like

On another “Modern Comics Heating Up” note…

A vast majority of the comics I first heard talk of here in the past couple of weeks all hit a certain hot and trending list:
Omega the Unknown #1 from 1976
Star Wars #14, and 20
Exiles #2
Hopefully everyone jumped on these initially

2 Likes