Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

I like Twig, its by Skottie Young an art by my friend Kyle Strahm. I read issue one and it is pretty cool. Very different vibe. But with that, not gonna pay crazy prices for the ashcan.

5 Likes

drugs are bad

2 Likes

Wow…Couldn’t you just buy the regular one and get it signed?

1 Like

Well, DC is an acronym for Detective Comics. So, the publishers name is already essentially named “Batman Comics”.

2 Likes

Just got notice that Black Panther 4 Larrocca has been allocated. Heads up!

Not finding any on eBay or out online…could be a winner.

3 Likes

LOL…a week before it comes out and PRH tells retailers it’s allocated ? Seems weird.

Some retailers should have their orders by now.

Also, do people think that is Tosin on the cover ?? LMAO

5 Likes

Lucky you. I was a day late but at least got it for way way below the current asking price

Just sold my high republic 1 cover A for $30

6 Likes

Nice! I bought 2 second print 9.8’s last night for $55 each. I couldn’t believe they were so cheap! The second prints were a much smaller print run than the first prints due to FOC passing by the time everyone figured out HR was gonna be a big deal.

4 Likes

Yeah I have like 4 2nd prints on my page for sale, I actually managed to get a decent amount of them when they first came out even after foc

1 Like

I assumed the 2nd printing would be pretty low print too with the short ordering window, but I don’t think it actually was.

If you look back at the Bleeding cool articles it suggests the 2nd printing was quite large.

The first article explains that the First Print was sold out three weeks before going on sale.

Star Wars: The High Republic #1 Second Printing Before First Is Out (bleedingcool.com)

The initial sales report for the First Prints was around 100k. And, again, they were already sold out.

100K? Marvel’s Star Wars: The High Republic #1 Has 200K Orders! (bleedingcool.com)

This suggests that both the 1st print and the 2nd print has roughly 100k copies.

I own a bunch of all the prints, so no agenda here. Just sharing what I’ve pieced together.

2 Likes

I can promise you the print run of the 2nd print is no where near 100k.

4 Likes

The 2nd print caught most retailers off guard in what I recall. I think it went FOC before the first issue even came out if I’m not mistaken so most shops skipped. I recall the 2nd print was a ghost book at most shops.

3 Likes

I think if you go back to when it came out, you will see that a lot of us were reporting not seeing the second print at any of the shops we were visiting. Now, if they printed more regardless of the orders that shops made, we wouldn’t know that. However, I do not remember ever seeing anyone getting restocks of the second printing afterwards.

2 Likes

It was hard to find locally. There is no way they printed as many 2nd prints as firsts. The FOC was before #1 came out, and there were no incentive variants to drive up the print run. Also dont use Bleeding Cool as a source, they are unreliable at best.

1 Like

But bleedingstool.com is reliable… :wink:

3 Likes

I think it’s pretty safe to say that there are less 2nd print HR1s then 1st print HR1s since virtually all later printings for anything almost always has a reduced print run. That’s just inherent in being a 2nd (or later) print, there’s always less. This 2nd print spec craze, imo, is the REAL comic spec bubble. 2nd prints are like rewarding those who arrived late to the party. :man_shrugging:

These were kind of a ghost when I got them (2 years ago). Saw some auctions pop up recently, and decided to just set a price and go for it. Recent raw sold yesterday for $140 with 16 bids.

1 Like

Some are, some arent. Just like any other book.

I think in HRA1’s case, the 3rd print was rewarding those late to the party… those who snagged 2nd prints are those who watched closely and were on their spec game!

8 Likes