Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

3 Likes

I did mention that book on the MEGA FOC thread…

:yum:

More will be on Ebay Tuesday and beyond.

1 Like

I think they must have a randomizer in two parts for the adjective and a noun. Something like this:

Part 1:

Spider
Captain
Iron
Norse God
Symbiote
Mystic

Part 2:

Man
Woman
Diverse character
Relative of…
Hulk
Mutant
Robot

3 Likes

It’s called the Woke Algorithm

2 Likes

Well Derby DC Comics is shutting down. Just got this email:

I saw this as well. Sucks because I ordered a bunch of “hot” books from them after FOC and always received them.

This is positively genius and you hit the nail on the head

"House of Ideas" :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m predicting SW Monsters of Temple Peak 1 is the next one that’s gonna take off. Cgc 9.8 sale is over $61 right now. Usually once those start selling the graders start buying up all the copies to slab.

Edit: It is also sold out at the distributor.

8 Likes

The High Republic era is time period existing between 300BBY - 82BBY. That’s a big time span. As a result people have NO IDEA who will be featured in the High Republic show let alone when it will take place. So speccers are just grasping at straws and hoping to get lucky. (unless they’ve been pulling these titles since day 1).

So far, the Star Wars films and and shows have mostly featured brand new characters that haven’t previously been featured in a comic. I wouldn’t necessarily expect a High Republic show to feature characters appearing in comics. I could be dead wrong.

Look at the gap between HR Phase 1 & 2. It’s 150 years. For all we know the show we know the show is going to take place outside of the period / characters featured in the current comics and books.

For me personally I fell off of the High Republic around issue 7, and Adventures even earlier. I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe it is a total lack of familiarity with the characters, or maybe it is because I’m just a Rise / Reign / Fall of the Empire nerd.

1 Like

Except for the fact Disney has said ‘The Acolyte’ takes place ‘near the end of the High Republic’. Phase one, the current wave of books, takes place at the end of the HR period.

7 Likes

In addition, on page 12 of HRA 1, the social structure that Zeen and Krix live in on Trymant IV is discussed. Elders… and acolytes.

There are clues out there.

4 Likes

I picked up on that immediately. The comics and books are going to provide a rich backdrop and plethora of characters for Disney to pull from as they visually tell this era of stories.

The difference between HR-era and the other canon SW eras is that the latter were movies first with the comics trailing behind to fill in gaps. HR-era is comics and books first.

I’ve been in since day one, because Star Wars, but if I hadn’t, I’d be trying to find any cover-price first appearance I could. The reason being, A - possibility the character appears in a show/movie, and/or B - An online YouTube huckster is going to have a bunch of these or run out of material to talk about that he’ll eventually pump these at some point.

3 Likes

I hadn’t seen anything that indicates when the current Marvel / IDW books are taking place.

The way it’s written, the peak of the HR’s glory is the opening of Starlight Beacon, and phase one tells the story of the beginning of the downfall of the High Republic, with the hyperspace disaster and the destruction of Starlight Beacon. So phase one is set at the end of the HR era.

Stinks about Derby shutting down. I just discovered them some weeks ago through you all and had ordered some stuff that always came packed with care. Guess I’ll keep my eyes peeled for other good sites to order from…

Yeah, I think I discovered them (not saying I was the first, just saying when i personally discovered them) with the whole Darth Vader 20 Sprouse debacle. I managed to get another good order in with them for some HRA Annuals (but i havent gotten shipping confirmation about that one yet, nor a cancelation).

I noticed they were getting wiped out of all the books recently so I think other people caught on as well and he got overwhelmed trying to balance that with the supply chain issues he mentioned.

But he said it’s temporary so hopefully that’s the case!

5 Likes

2 Likes

Jim’s Comics again.

2 Likes

Why is there all the heat for that Trail of shadows 5? Is it the cover? Or this Jim saying he likes the book?