Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

When I pay cvr price or less for these books, it doesn’t bother me if the characters don’t hold their value

4 Likes

Yup, buy low, sell high. Buying books at cover price for the possible potential long term is called “cheap gambling investments”… It’s particularly nice when you’re buying cover price books from the profits of other sold books. For the longest time my book buying was from nothing but profits. My initial buy in for books resulted in the hobby of collecting and flipping as self sustaining, it supported itself without touching my actual income or salary.

2 Likes

You said it. And you’re wrong.

Old Lady Harley! I did alright with that one. Held a few copies also. She’ll be back…just you wait.

2 Likes

And that’s fine. Everyone has their expectations and what they’re willing to gamble.

It’s when you buy multiple copies of every single new appearance of every character you find yourself stating at long box after long box of drek…and you’re like “what have i done…!” That’s when it goes too far.

All in moderation, I say!

4 Likes

This year has not been self sustaining for me, unfortunately. Even with cut-backs.

No regrets though. I could liquidate everything go near or at cover if I got in trouble.

2 Likes

Actually your right bout Old Harley when it first came out. I think the book was helped by the OLD Man Logan story. I actually looked her up on eBay right now, 4 copies sold with an AVG < $15 over course of 90 days. This is not very encouraging … I just feels like now all these new character are just getting thrown out there and see which one stick. If it stick, milk it till it drys up AKA BWL.

As you stated before, when you start buying 3 more copies of every “new” character ( XXX who Laugh or the NEXT MILES MORALES). You will run into a storage issue very quickly. Also every issue now it going to be $5.00 for Batman or you will have the issue color rub on Marvel subpar paper quality. Most of these character will end up in dollar bin in a year or two aka clownhunter.

In today’s market, the art is GREAT, but for me the story and content hasn’t had the impact of WATCHMEN, DKR, KILLING JOKE or etc.

That book hit those marks when everyone was getting free Covid money. You can’t really gauge 2020-early 2021 as part of a normal market.

2 Likes

I agree with you on that, but all other KEY also blew up but not all have fallen to pre-COVID prices. UF4, EOV #2, BM Adventure 12, and some other. Mostly modern slabs have been affected. Silver or early 70s slabs seem to holding up well even in todays market. They haven’t dropped to pre-COVID prices yet… I’m hoping though…

If trying to make money, a good speculator only invests in characters people will care about and flips the other ones that can make a quick profit

1 Like

The heart works in mysterious ways. For example a lot of people don’t like or care for Punchline. I enjoy her a lot. I don’t think I’m in that much of a minority though, considering she pops up all over DC comics, has had 2 self titled series (one as a one shot TBH), she’s popular in the cosplay community. Also, in the DC film universe HQ has been broken up with Joker for a while now, great opportunity for Punchline to show up. They just need a good, solid Joker and I’m sure Gunn will find one.

2 Likes

These are mega keys, Punchline hasn’t been around long enough to be a mega key yet.

1 Like

Punchline is a fine character and will be around a long time.

3 Likes

Punchline is decently interesting enough to stick around.

1 Like

My purchases have been scaled way back. Sold enough through direct sales a few times to make it so I’m still in the positive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a few slabbed key books that I’ve be been meaning to sell and would easily make up the difference. But they price has me hesitant to use eBay…afraid of scammers. So I just need ti get them to MCS or some other auction house and they can deal with any buyer issues.

I’m wanting to sell around 80% or more of my collection now but now’s not really a great time. Might have to just hold back when market starts to swing in sellers favor.

3 Likes

It’s been a great time to buy. I have found that the mere action of watching an item gets me an offer from the seller that is frequently lower than what I would have offered.

4 Likes

Agreed with watching items and getting offers. I was watching some random books that I wanted to pick up and one of them was the New Warriors 1 2nd print. Don’t know why I was watching it but I remember loving those Marvel 2nd print gold covers from the 90s. I’m a sucker for those gimmicks.

Anyways it was just a cheap book, I think at $4. The seller sent me an offer for $1.50! He must really want to get rid of it. Anyways I would’ve picked it up as it was a generous offer and also I’d like to help that person out in case they’ve hit hard times. Only problem was I’m in Canada so shipping to me from Ebays global shipping would’ve cost me $20 to ship that $1.50 book. Oh well.

3 Likes

I gave that giant Harley 30th Anniversary special a read it’s a pretty major book in my opinion. With all the Harley talk lately definitely worth owning a copy.

First Queen Harleen

First Moldina a new child and assistant to Poison Ivy.

A new female Eraser

A Kraven the Hunter like family of hunters.
And the most important thing in this book⬇️

First Comic Appearance of Baby Doll a reoccurring villain created for the Batman Animated series.

8 Likes

The Harley Special is 40% off at TFAW ($5.99) and the 1:25 Variant is also 40% of at $14.99