Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Bought the metal edition that was limited to 75 for $32.69 recently (cheap due to damaged corner), best looking cover out of my entire collection. Photos can’t show how nice it looks, too much of a reflection to use much lights for the photo but it’s how the light reflects that makes it look amazing with the colors. Ebay has a mint metal edition for auction, was at $200 last I looked.

1 Like

I’ve got a first issue I keep meaning to list. I see the price creeping up and wonder if I should wait for a peak?

I sold the 1:15 for $40 when it first came out, and wanted a couple of copies so I searched a few weeks ago and a LCS had two for $20 each! Doubled my stash!

I really like that metal cover, but I can’t shell out $200 for it…wish I could.

I would not sell it at the moment if I were you. Also depends on how many copies you got of course. If you got a whole bunch then sure sell a couple to cover your costs. I will wait until the second arc comes out and decide if it’s a major hit. It has all the signs that this series has legs. Slow steady growth, with great art/story and likeable characters. You don’t want to sell it now and regret it later if it becomes the next Canto or SIKTC.

As we speak a couple more 9.8s just sold. 1 for $199 best offer and another for $206.

1 Like

I’ve just got the one copy. Perhaps I’ll hold it.

David, have you read the first arc (issues 1-5)? Issue 5 has a major twist at the end which is why this series is getting heat. I would read it and see if you enjoy it before making a decision. Perhaps this is the peak who knows. The second arc will determine if this series will be a runaway success imo.

I just want to put out a disclaimer that I am in no way qualified to give an informed opinion on comic book speculation. I only got into speculation this year due to being home from the pandemic and was watching a lot of videos (tales from the flipside, Mercenaut, Simpleman’s comis etc) and found this website.

I wouldn’t even say I’m a speculator, comic book flipper would be a more accurate description :laughing:
I’m also el cheapo and would rarely ever pay more than cover price for a book. These are just my personal opinions on a new series like this. Say if you were reading Canto for the first time, it would be a mistake to flip the first issue for $15 before you give it time to see if there’s organic growth.

There’s definitely enough reader buzz and overall unanimous adoration for this series so far so I think selling it now would be a mistake but who knows. Like I said I will wait until the second arc comes out and see what the creators have in store for the series. Looks like they have a well thought out plan as they have mentioned in the letters column for issue 5. I trust them by what I’ve seen so far.

I will be adding this series to my pull because it’s been great so far.

I read the first issue and it didn’t really, “Grab,” me so I haven’t read any others. Perhaps I should revisit it with that twist in mind? I love a good twist. I bought it for cover so it isn’t like I lost anything by waiting to see if it gets hotter. If it cools, it cools.

The fist issue didn’t immediately grab me at first either. I thought the series got much better as it went along as we learn about some of the character’s back story and where the series was going. I may even like the twist less than most. But overall I loved the first arc and want to see where this series goes from here.

My personal opinion is if reading the first arc you still don’t like it, then there’s no harm in selling it for a quick 30 or 40 dollar profit and you should have no regrets later if it blows up. My take is that I haven’t seen anyone mention in this forum or elsewhere that they did not like this series after reading it, so it might be a little risky to sell it now imo especially since we are seeing the prices slowly creeping up without any news of a media option or anything. That’s usually a very good sign. If it gets picked up it’s all she wrote.

1 Like
2 Likes

X-Men Deadly Genesis #1 First Vulcan Appearance is selling from $40-60. Lowest priced listing is $70, so if you have them use your head and don’t undercut by a ton. A few variants but the one to have is the Quesada Variant, which has him on the cover. Going to be listing mine sometime today.

I sold a NM- copy of Deadly Genesis #1 for $60 within minutes of listing. Maybe no one else was hoarding em? I only listed 6 copies.

I snagged a copy of Deadly Genesis 1 at the shop today just because you posted this. It was the regular cover though.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m a bit of an introvert and do all my shopping on eBay and a few different online shops for preorders. It’s been almost a year since I’ve gone into a shop. The ones I’m selling I paid $1 each for a few months ago. I still haven’t seen a Newsstand Edition of any of the deadly genesis issues and I’ve been watching and looking for years. There was an Emperor Vulcan miniseries that does have newsstands.

1 Like

What’s so scary about going to a shop? You’re only going to be surrounded by the same people you’re talking to online in this forum :laughing:

2 Likes

Nice shirt, no shirt. I really hope you at least have pants on :eggplant: when photographing your comics. :rofl:

1 Like

My brother in law is retired from the Army. He just recently got a part time job delivering prescriptions for a pharmacy. He has at least 3-4 elderly people who are always nude.

He goes into a building and you can hear someone laying it down on a bass guitar. Ended up being his delivery, an older Black guy who answered the door nude, in his wheelchair with his bass sitting in his lap.

2 Likes

If you’re close to the end, playing any musical instrument (whatsoever…triangle included) in the nude, is the best way to rock it…in any religion.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Dunno if this is the right place but these are hot moderns at the moment and thought I could get some thoughts on this, can get a 9.6 Darth Vader #3 2nd print 1st Aphra or a 9.8 Kanan The Last Padawan #1

Which books would the members go for? Both the same price, I’ll likely end up taking both anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

On most moderns with a large census, I always lean for the higher grade. The market still penalizes a 9.6 too much. Totally different opinion if it’s a PC book and not a potential future flip. For the PC, I have no problem grabbing a lower grade just to have one rather than sinking a bunch into something that isn’t going anywhere.

3 Likes