Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 2)

Love it!

Appreciate the tips. Iā€™m too far in the boonies for signing events but I try to take care of the subscribers in other ways. Extras at all the free events, 4 biggest getting a 3 day pass to Galaxycon, special subscriber sales tossed out randomly, sometimes something special slipped in at Christmas if anythingā€™s available and in this case, my biggest Spawn subscriber had 1st dibs on the spawn signed book which he took. I think of other things from time to time and thereā€™s no money or deposits up front with the long time regulars. They message get it, and I try to.

2 Likes

honestly, the little freebie toss ins are always a big hit with me as a buyer. Itā€™s always a hit when I open my FOC box and see a random poster or other marketing stuff in there they didnā€™t use. Itā€™s low/no cost to them, and a hit for me. I canā€™t tell you how much of that stuff Iā€™ve regifted to younger readers and spread the joy.

2 Likes

My local comic shop knew (and this was a long While ago) I was looking for a Creepy #1. I walked in the store one day and they had four copies on the back issue wall. I said to the owner ā€œwhy didnā€™t you let me know, I have been looking for oneā€ he said he knew, he got 8 copies in and he slid one in my box for free. I was floored. He said he got the 8 copies as part of a collection he got in and couldnā€™t help but give me a copy as a thank you for being a regular.

14 Likes

My lcs gave me the Dracula #1 one per store for cover price. I was happy lol.

1 Like

IMG_1364

So the last few times at my shop i see this lady asking for Transformers comics for her son. Sold out at my shop of course. This wasnā€™t really a comic on my radar as i figured theyā€™d be lots of copies available and i really didnā€™t think of it as any kind of key. Seems like i underestimated the demand from its large fanbase both old and new. Didnā€™t even know it has already heated up.

5 Likes

It had a lot of copies available but didnā€™t really jump until time had passed. There was some interest but nothing over the top. I just sold out of variants for the issue a couple weeks ago finally so Iā€™m ordering 2 copies of the 5th print and 2 copies of the 2nd print of #4 just to fill the holes back in on the shelf until the trade hits. It wouldnā€™t surprise me to see it back down by the time we get to issue #12 as the market gets exhausted and saturated with additional prints and trades satisfying the needs of people who just want to read. Sell-em now if you have them and grab a 5th for your reader.

Daniel Warren Johnsonā€™s Transformers #1 Opens With Over 153,000 Orders

Print run feels too high to sustain long term high numbers for sale price. Transformers #13 could barely get 10,000 copies out the door according to Comichron.
Comichron: October 2019 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Iā€™m expecting orders to drop back under 20,000 an issue as the series progresses and the newness wears off.

That 10,000 includes the 1 copy I bought for the store. I did waste some money in the short term buying 4 more A covers as well as some Bā€™s and 10 ratioā€™s that arrived from Diamondā€™s dump the leftovers sale 25 April 2021.

3 Likes

A true miracle has happened today. I finally sold a copy of Ultimate X-Men #1!!! To a local at that!!! Another $5.99 closer to seeing break even off in the distance. 1 down, a bunch to go.

5 Likes

I would have to agree with you. No long term spec here. There are plenty of first appearances that n the 80s marvel series that Iā€™d buy before looking at this book that has none.

1 Like

Went to an out of the way shop. They had 4 copies of Ultimate Spider-man #1 2nd print and 2 copies of Transformers #1 Cvr A on the rack for cover. I passed on all 6.

Tempting but I donā€™t feel like paying $5 to make $5 and possibly get stuck with them.

2 Likes

I forgot to check for transformers 1 while I was out. Shoot. Found an Ultimate Universe #1 1:25 for $5 among other things.

1 Like

Iā€™m now buying any of the Marvel New Champions covers from last year when I find them in dollar bins. The X-Men one got hot, and now the Captain America one is warming up. These characters are gonna start popping up in books.

1 Like

I bought 2 complete sets (22 books each) for a total of $50 earlier this year. Just going to list emā€™ as they pop.

1 Like

That included x-men 27? Would have made your
Money back by now.

Thundercats arrived safely. Diamonds upped their shipping game and put the box with the comics in another box surrounded by bubble wrap, that some of it didnā€™t even get popped on the way here. PRH all came in nice like normal. Now to start scanning to make listings and see if thereā€™s any movement on Calicaā€™s on E-Bay yet.

3 Likes

John Carpenters Toxic Commando Rise Of The Sludge God #1 is out of stock at Diamond but PRH just filled an order 5 copies a few minutes ago.

2 Likes

I think that is gonna be a hit. Video game tie in. Selling out everywhere. And out of stock at the distributor. Sounds like a winner to me.

Diamond is out of standard/A type covers for
ASM 45
Both Avengers Twilight issues
Blue Book
Helen of Wyndhorn
Ultimate Black Panther
What if Venom
John Carpenter

PRH is also out of
Avengers Twilight 4
Ultimate Black Panther

The others are in stock and just reordered successfully.
https://i.postimg.cc/zfSdTSgp/aa.jpg

3 Likes

Avengers Twilight #4 has an interesting ending. Iā€™ll let Anthony spoil it tonight