Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 2)

giddy up!

Yeah I grabbed some

Free shipping

Also, so many doom sales today between $20 to $30

2 Likes

Mycomicshop has X-Men 97 2 2nd limited to x2 on eBay. Only 43 copies added

2 Likes

My shop received a fairly big amount of reorders of that Doom book. They have them priced at the going rate however and they will likely sit on the shelves but I did find it interesting.

The one shop that did have and X-men 2nd print already had them out and priced at $15. Otherwise there weren’t any available. I had all this stuff preordered (including that Blood Hunt 1:25 $40) so I was feeling pretty good about preordering yesterday. :slight_smile:

Bunch of fools out there in the comic world

5 Likes

That is typically who we sell to.

3 Likes

If your shops are trying to play the speculation game they’re gonna to go outta business with A covers priced at, “Market,” prices.

3 Likes

They can’t help themselves. They aren’t the greatest businessmen.

Thinking a Wednesday flipper is going to come back weekly and buy up your non-trending deadstock is not wise. You see shops all over get excited when there’s interest like USM. Then they order heavy above their preorders and get stuck with overstock. That’s how you go out of business. Margins are too slim to eat deadstock regularly.

1 Like

If they’re going to play that game then they should also list them on eBay
because it’s very unlikely someone is going to walk into the shop and pay “market” on a new release. Thats not why they’re there.

4 Likes

Randoms do come in for that and if you can offer the eBay price minus shipping it is a better deal. Others are there to flip on eBay so who cares if they leave empty-handed because it wasn’t cover?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never had a problem with brick and mortars marking up hot books. They should be the best judge on whether it’s a good move or not. I think most have a problem with it because it cuts into their profit when flipping/selling.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with it. I just think it will eventually kill the store. Seems like a poor strategy to do things that will eventually put you out of business. At least the stores I heard about do it and inevitably fail

That store probably got burned by Wednesday flippers and ordered thinking they’d be regular buyers. Months of that thought process leaves them thousands in the hole and they then try to correct their approach when it was too late financially.

Smartest brick and mortars diversify product, order heavily based on presells, and move trending books online. They also will hook up their regular FOC’ers with access to hot books at cover. If you aren’t getting that treatment, you’re a Wednesday flipper.

1 Like

I am a flipper and both shops I frequent know of. In fact I walked into my backup store today and the owner literally asked me what book was hot this week. I told him about the second print X-Men 97. I grabbed two, he asked me to grab him three for eBay sales and left the rest on the shelf. This is also the guy who hooks me up with one per stores or ratios at cover.

My regular shop treats me like a king as well. They hook me up all the time and go out of the way for me. I drop tips to them too.

It’s not bad to be a flipper. Just share the love with the store, don’t try to wipe them out in one go, and be respectful and everyone can get along just fine.

9 Likes

You don’t buy from the backup shop outside of flip books, one pers, and ratios at cover? Damn, I’d feel slighted if I was a regular customer of his lol.

1 Like

Here’s the thing. I don’t care if comic shops up the prices. It’s their business and they can do as they please. It generally never affects me personally as 95% of the time they are behind the 8 ball anyway. If the book is hot/hyped I already know or likely had it preordered.
The problem for them as a comic shop though as it is very hard for them to adjust/flex to the market.
We all know the highest price tends to be right at release or just before (typically). So what I see shops doing is pricing something like X-Men 97 2nd at the highest price point, then letting it sit there with a price sticker on it while other avenues can more easily adjust. I rarely see a shop going through and changing prices on comics to reflect down swings.

I guess I just believe they would do far better undercutting the “going rate” when a book first releases, still selling the books & making a profit vs having a stack of books sitting on the shelf that may be priced accurately as compared to online sales but never sell. (And then end up in clearance bins months later).

I also think online sales are capturing more of the FOMO buyers or folks without local, easy access comic buying options. It can give a false impression of what folks really are looking to buy, actively seeking (and over paying for).

4 Likes

Brick and mortars should definitely not match eBay pricing. Fees, added processing, and additional shipping expense on the buyer make it to where you can outcompete eBay prices and move the product.

FOMO does get sustained after release when everyone runs to LCS’s to try and snag the book and not find it there.

1 Like

Spawn 301 3rd Print :fire: :fire: :fire:

8 Likes