Modern Comics Heating Up (Those With Potential Too) (Part 1)

Yeah, after all the hype about Rose Roche in #14, crickets :cricket:’s on this one.

1 Like

Those arent the reasons why a cover would heat up…

And also, this cover will not.

3 Likes

I think it’s more of a cameo if anything develops. The description for #16 states, “Someone in the Drew clan suits up for the first time! Who could it be?!”

she is shown in full costume in #15,pretty sure cameo/full dont apply to costumes only 1st apps

I would agree with that. Never heard of “cameo in costume” as a note for a books significance.

These things are always confusing to me, but I thought that a costume is insignificant until the character becomes named/gains powers? That’s why I see this as low significance/cameo, it’s just an undeveloped character in a costume. I still have a lot to learn lol.

Not sure how long this book was planned, but it kind of build on their relationship in the comics (last issue of the prior Harley series) and the cartoon. It also was publicized around the same time as the Batman/Catwoman XXX post from - drawing a blank on the name (?).

So a little bit of hype, some sensationalism, and hopefully a good story, to sell a book !

I’m personally burned out on Harley - the cartoon was good though/more adult - so I havent picked it up. But if I hear the story is good, I may pick up a copy.

I can think of many books where characters were in costume before taking on the official role.

Batman 366 - JT puts on the Robin costume for the first time. Made official in 368.

Captain America 126, first time Sam Wilson puts on the Captain America uniform.

Then there are all those “non-continuity” 1st appearances in costumes like What If 10 or black Panther annual 1.

I think it may come down to whether there are later printings more scarce with cover appearances or full appearances with a low print run.

Is anyone sleeping on 16? FOC is Monday. Or is it Sunday now?

Man, if I wrote superhero comics, new characters would just get all that stuff in the same issue. Boom. Done.

4 Likes

if 15 get a 2nd ptg, with her on cover. 16 is worthless. either way i think 15 is better spec

Thank you for clearing that up with more confusion! :wink: Just kidding, I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide examples. I actually am getting the entire series because I figure $2.59/issue is worth having it in advance for any potentially new spider characters.

Yes, please lol! Did we create this confusion as fans/collectors? I’ve always wondered how and who decides on the first appearances because CGC, creators/writers, Key Collector and online price guides sometimes differ. You would imagine it should be up to the creator. I wish there was a definite standard to go by, but it seems that we have a large influence as fans because we change the balance of what is hot based on demand.

All my comics would say “This issue is the first appearance of______. This issue is NOT the first appearance of_____.”

2 Likes

Even if they agreed the market May still think differently.

Sold out at TFAW. Went back and single copy was gone at my LCS. Still available at MCs and midtown,

1 Like

You can say that all you want and there will still be collectors and speculators arguing you’re wrong…

Remember when everyone argued with the actual creative teams about if Black Winter had a cameo in, “Silver Surfer: Black,” because I remember. Or was it Knull? No, Black Winter.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Or the time KCC sent a Key Issue Alert that the little black girl in a Superman (or Action Comics) variant was Naomi. Bendis was like, “LOL nope.”

But people that had overpaid for the Issue started arguing back that he was lying.

6 Likes

Everything is continuity as told is Spiderverse and Loki

Everything in DC is also in continuity as told in Final Crisis and Metal.