New 52, 10 years later

So it’s been almost 10 years since the launch of the New 52 and I wanted to see what everyone thinks of it as a whole. I have always been a huge fan of it. I thought the titles were good, I liked how some characters were reimagined, I liked it as a fresh start to some older or misused characters and the Snyder/Capullo run on Batman was incredible. Hindsight being what it is, what do you all think looking back?

1 Like

The Batman New 52 run is one of my favorite reads of all time-Court of Owls, Death of the Family, Endgame being the best stories. It’s what I picked up upon getting back into comics, so I got that nostalgia going for this run too. I didn’t even mind Gordon taking the mantle; it was a nice change of pace and we knew it wouldn’t be a forever change. I also enjoyed the Justice League Darkseid War. Flashpoint was a very good story to lead into it; great DC Animated Movie too.Justice League Dark and the 1st Suicide Squad were good reads too; my memory is a bit fuzzy on those though. I’ll have to revisit those.

5 Likes

Justice League , Batman, and Animal Man were great.

2 Likes

I loved Animal Man. I am a big Jeff Lemire fan and what he did with that character was beautiful. Body horror on Cronenberg levels!

1 Like

For me new 52 and marvel at the time were when I really got more into reading comics at the time. I was in high school and batman was pretty good along with a good green arrow series. There were definitely some odd things like all the hype and then crash and burn of characters like Jokers daughter

I feel like there were a lot of complaints about New 52 that, if the complainers could see what was coming for them up ahead, would have been silent. Batman was awesome. Goes without saying. The first run on Swamp Thing was actually really good as was Animal Man.

I’m not sure how or if it even fits in the overall DC mythos or timeline anymore. I’m no DC multiverse expert. I guess Rebirth explained it in a sort of decentralized, disjointed way.

1 Like

I feel like the New 52 had a ton of potential and only some of it was realized. I really liked certain titles within it and see what DC was trying to do, but before long it was all walked back and essentially dropped. Rebirth was fun too, though, some good books there was well.

My understanding is that in Doomsday Clock, it was revealed that Dr. Manhattan had taken 10 years away from the DC universe, which ended up being the New 52 and that it is part of the multiverse as Earth 52. I have not read all of Doomsday Clock and am fully prepared to be corrected on any part of this.

Batman and Justice League. Batman my 2nd favorite of all time I really enjoyed the freshness Snyder and Capullo brought. Justice League I never gave a shit about or had knowledge of until I read that run. Gave me alot to like and Jim Lee’s art was great in the early issues.

1 Like

That makes about as much sense as anything else.

2 Likes

I was a big fan of the Justice League and that was my introduction to Jim Lee’s work. I started reading comics in 2015 and at the recommendation of a friend of mine, started at the beginning of the New 52 and he mentioned it was a good starting point. Justice League was the first title I started on.

2 Likes

The New 52 Batman (issue #39 specifically) is what got me back into comics too, after a 20+ year hiatus. Saw the cover to #39 on the shelf when I went to a LCS to buy a TPB copy of V for Vendetta, after discovering the movie. The reimagining, and being able to ‘start fresh’ while the reimagining made my transition back into the hobby quite easy, as I wasn’t lost in past DC lore.

1 Like

Being “ lost in past DC lore” was exactly my reason for not getting into comics earlier. I watched the cartoons in my youth, but when it came to the source material, wading through 70 years of history sounded so daunting. The new 52 was a great gateway to step in and pick up the history from there.

And Batman #39 is an amazing cover. I remember seeing the Kubert variant for it on one of my first trips into a comic shop and was absolutely mesmerized!

6 Likes

In Death Metal it is stated by Lex Luthor that the machine he trying to build (and subsequently Wonder Woman more or less becomes) is going to un-Crisis all of the crisis events in DC history. So all of the stories matter and are remembered by the characters in the DCU. All if these stories are part of one giant tapestry. Instead of it being a multiverse filled with 52 Earths, or just one Earth, you now have Omniverse (that’s a collection of multiverses. Multiversi?) so the comic multiverse exists along side the animated universe and whatnot. The Dark Multiverse still exists, and now rather than Earth 0 or Prime Earth being the center or the Omniverse that everything is based on, there is now a second center. The second center of the Omniverse appears to be elseworld which is home to stories like Superman Red Son, Gotham by Gaslight, etc. Meaning that main DCU Batman could work with/against Red Son Superman to find out how Steven Amell’s Green Arrow showed up in the Hall of Justice.

I think it was a way to make the universe a bit more cohesive, undo the crazy continuity errors, and copy what Marvel does in having one big continuity.

1 Like

There were some great 1:25 Capullo Batman/Joker covers in that run.
I managed to snag a print of issue #39s cover, signed by Capullo, when I saw him at Toronto ComicCon a few years ago while I was waiting in a short line to get Jocks signature on a foil variant of tec880.

!

2 Likes

Nice!! I was at FanExpo in Toronto in 2018 and got a signature from Jock on a Batman 44. I wanted to get Snyder and Capullo to sign the book as well, but the lines were too long and I had other places to be, sadly.

1 Like