Nycc 2024

Was wondering if anyone went to NYCC this past weekend and had any feedback. I attended and NYCC just wasn’t the same. Most of the comic publishers did not attend, like DC and many of the independent publishers were also missing. There is very little swag, and if there was, the lines were long. There was huge Anime section which dominated the Con. Artist alley has become so expensive it is almost impossible to get a sketch at a reasonable price. There were also very little interactive displays if you were bringing children to the Con. Overall, i think i am done with NYCC and will try San Diego next year.

1 Like

Don’t people say San Diego has even less to truly do with comics these days? If you’re after a smaller more intimate experience, as it sounds like you are, I’d recommend a smaller show before trying CCI/SDCC!

1 Like

I noticed a lot of the same as you. Most of the feedback that I have seen from the show has been the same. People that are going for comic and comic related thing feel like the show has almost pushed that type of material away. People that I saw that were interested in pop culture things and meeting celebs seem to pretty much love the way the show is. At artist alley this year I spent very little money compared to what I used to. As far as anime, that is the future. Manga and anime have a huge following and there is such a wider variety and stories publish more frequently.

2 Likes

I like how he goes off on people who collect pins…

IMG_3755

I definitely did not enjoy NYCC this year. It does seem like every year becomes less and less fun. I do think it depends on what you’re looking to achieve at the Con though. For me, the lines for anything interesting took too long to get through or were capped before I could get in line. Every single exclusive that was at least semi-interesting was gone within minutes. I’m also just too old to fight with people over a spot in line. I’ve reached a point where I’d rather overpay on ebay than go through all that hassle (but I can’t recall anything of personal interest worth overpaying for in the past several cons that haven’t eventually come back down in price anyways). The number of back issue vendors seems to be dwindling, and the prices don’t seem to have matched-up with current market prices still. I have much better luck with local cons so that is probably what I’ll be sticking with going forward.

3 Likes

I did enjoy it. I did have specific goals and laid out a plan for specific exclusives and panels and what I wanted to achieve for back issues. I mapped out where vendors and artists were that so wanted to hit, and noted when panels were and when specific signings were to adjust my plan on the fly.

It was only at the very end (Friday for me) when time was running out I made a bad decision to keep trying to find a couple comics I had scoped out from the day before in “cheap” bins and delay lining up for a panel (Hasbro). Turns out when tracked down their location they had already been bought, and even that few minutes delay caused me to miss the cap on the panel by a few people.

But I’m going to give a rundown of my purchases in a separate thread when I have a few minutes to type it up. And later I’d like to post a recap on the main site of what I thought of the convention from a comic book collector lens.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it.

I know it is not the best photo, but here is a picture of artist alley at Friday about 2pm

2 Likes

It was a Zoo.

1 Like

Right before one of the down escalators stopped working.

Same spot…Friday 2:16. Top of the escalator.