Odds and Ends

At that price you’d be better off sacrificing on quality and getting one of the Marvel Essential books. Black and white on shit paper, but you get 25 or so comics in one book. Most are pretty cheap and if you’re buying the reprint to read, it’s worth it in my mind.

I have some of the Marvel Essentials. Man-Thing and Godzilla. The cool thing was I got them at a discount book seller for $5

1 Like

Facsimiles have better stories.

No gimmicks in most of the facsimiles. Just classic stories.

And classic ads…

I have the Man-Thing vol 1 as well. I have the Howard The Duck, Killraven, Nova, Tales of the Zombie, Marvel Horror, Werewolf By Night and all 4 Tomb of Dracula essential books. With the exception of Tomb of Dracula, none of these editions were more than $10 each. Get a lot of classic comics in a collected edition for next to nothing

Ok Gang…wish me luck. I saw an add for an estate sale in my area. Looks to be a bit of a hoarder situation perhaps, but my eye caught some glimpses of nice comics and quite a few. I’m rolling the dice and am currently camping out on the street. Definitely first in line but folks starting to show up already and on the list behind me. Going to be a long night lol.
Opens at 9am…been here since 6 yesterday and it’s 1am. :blush:

I’ll report out when I recover!

11 Likes

Sounds like fun. Never been to one. Good luck…

If you see any Super Nintendo games like Megaman, let me know. Ill buy them lol…

1 Like

Wow, that’s hardcore. There are very few possibilities that would make me camp out overnight. I hope you do land some great stuff.

3 Likes

@Devildog good luck man, hope there are some good finds.

2 Likes

Let us know how you make out!

1 Like

I admire your dedication. Please do keep us informed and best of luck finding some good stuff.

1 Like

Only a date with Scarlett Johanson or Megan Fox would get me to camp overnight anywhere. Best of luck

1 Like

Well…that was one long ass miserable day/night/morning & I’m not sure I would do it again (nah…who am I kidding…yes I would). Felt like I was back in the Marines at times sans being shot at.
But…I think you may likely agree that the juice was indeed, worth the squeeze! Good lordy I am over the moon with these. I saw a glimpse of that Weird Science Fantasy & went all in. It’s not perfect…but it’s darned nice. Each of these are special books whether it’s art, story, cover, history, etc.
I won’t tell some tall tale of them being dirt cheap, they weren’t…but they were certainly priced far below what they should have been imo.
These are also original owner books…I have zero fears of resto.

11 Likes

Wow. Those are incredible.

We’re there other comics, or was there stiff competition for these books?

My kind of books.

@D-Rog I’d say there were about 200 comics or so. A very wide range of conditions but essentially all golden age from about 1952-1955.
Majority was EC but some other Disney stuff. Of that, the majority was horror/scifi. Quite a bit of post code EC like Valor, MD, Aces High also.
Of note was a beautiful condition run of Mad Magazine. Not my thing but still.
Condition really was all over. They had some cool issues of the pre code “the thing” run but they were rough.
Prices were all over and odd. No rhyme or reason.
The key (imo) was snagging the books that were far nicer than they realized or set a price for. My gut tells me that whoever priced comics didn’t know all that much.
To my benefit, the biggest error is on that Weird Science Fantasy. It’s darn nice. I don’t mind saying…paid $800. I can’t see it grading less than a 5.0…likely higher.

As there weren’t a ton of comics, and they had them essentially in two boxes, I didn’t have a rough time. There were folks there chomping at the bit and trying to shove in, but I’m no daisy lol. The ole linebacker, block em out moves!
Being first in line paid off. I had quite a few others that I grabbed and put in a stack, but, I’m not a rich man and in the end had to be selective. There was another Tales as well as a Vault of Horror & Shock Suspense but they were a bit rough. I passed on a couple of books maybe I shouldn’t have but…oh well.
They were taking phone bids (I think that’s dumb) & I bet 10 calls in a row were for that Weird Science Fantasy. Have to say it was a guilty pleasure getting to keep telling the lady doing the phone “I bought it”.

The auction itself was fun. I met some very nice people. This auction had tons of different things so it certainly wasn’t just comic folk. They seemed genuinely happy that I got things I wanted as they knew I had been there forever.

One fellow behind me actually thanked me for not being greedy. Hard to be greedy with limited funds but whatever. :blush: I really did try to be nice. If I knew someone wanted a particular book and I saw it…I ya ked it for them. The fellow after the Mad Magazines was super elated I had no interest. They were beautiful copies. He left very, very happy. I believe he bought 1-20.

Anyway… interesting experience. Felt like an adventure. I’m not getting any younger and I feel like it makes for a good story and memory.

9 Likes

It’s not very often these days you have an experience acquiring comics that lasts a lifetime.

I still think back to a flea market in 1990….boxes and boxes and boxes of Bronze Age books. A few gold and silver mixed in. All 20 cents each.

Left with a Ghost Rider #1, Kamandi #1, Journey Into Mystery Annnual #1…a friend i went with scores almost and entire run of Marvel Star Wars…Marvel Preview #2.

Alas I sold most of them long ago for practically nothing…only really regret letting GR1 go. This was before eBay. :cry:. But the memory remains to this day.

3 Likes

Sounds like quite the experience! Gorgeous stuff you got!

1 Like
2 Likes