Painter’s tape or scotch tape?

I’m still a little puzzled my your method. Mylites2+Fullback is enough for me. I think the double bagging is overkill but to each their own.

I do like using top loaders but with the books bagged and boarded first. Takes up a lot more space but looks great. Just like the Mylars.

Buy archival grade tape for your mylar and mylites… https://www.egerber.com/catalog_tape.htm

2 Likes

I also like resealable bags. I use them for my new books, but I’m working on a project to put any books that I really like into Mylar. My preferred Mylar combo is Standard Mylites with E Gerber Full back boards. The dimensions and sturdiness of this are perfect for my purposes. This doesn’t have a resealable option.

I’ve gone full crazy for newsstand issues and I’m now putting my 80s, 90s and 00s newsstand books into Mylar. They don’t value up to Silver Age level, but they really hit the nostalgia notes and are worth mylar for me haha

1 Like

I knew agentpoyo would somehow have a very strong answer to this post. I’m bringing world class archivist materials to 90s newsstand comics lol. (And bronze and silver age books as well)

I don’t do this for mylites. Only regular bag and board, new issues. I use mylites for my comics with newsprint quality paper.

Ink doesn’t appear to transfer to the full backs, oddly enough. Still need to be careful with tape though.

1 Like

I always use Scotch tape, but I fold one end over so it is a little bit easier to peel off.

1 Like

I NEVER EVER use scotch tape on anything. Regular comics go in resealable bags. Expensive books ($25+) go in Mylites 2 Standard with a fullback board and closed with 3M (Wide) Blue painters tape. The width prevents you from having to use 2 pieces on both sides. I also fold over the top a little to make a pull tab. It comes right off, never had a problem removing and putting it back on. Scotch tape on the other hand… Pain in the ass to remove and if it rips, good luck getting off that little piece without bending and putting a mark on the bag. As always it usually comes down to personal preference, this is mine.
20201118_194226 20201118_194238 20201118_194303

1 Like

I’m currently using the thinner painter’s tape. Was considering trying roughly a 4 inch piece across the length of the flap as an alternative to the two pieces on each side…

Has anyone tried masking tape? Is masking tape essentially the same ease for removal as painter’s tape? Only considering it because the light tan color is a little less striking…

But I’m probably going to stick with the blue painter’s tape in wide or regular…

I tried the archival tape and while it looks super slick. Imo it doesn’t open very easily.

I’m trying to make my mylar as easy as possible to open to increase the likelihood I’ll actually open and flip through my older comics… It’s fun to actually open them!

Vacuum sealer and clear cutting boards make your own slabs

1 Like

If you want a scotch tape that doesn’t stick to Mylars I’ve posted it once and there’s other options obviously but it’s what I use. It’s the same transparency as regular scotch tape so it didn’t look awful like the blue painters tape. It sticks but it doesn’t get stuck.

Scotch Brand Tape Wall Safe.

Scotch brand wall safe tape. Okay, I may try this as well.

Light tan masking tape was fairly similar to painter’s tape without the striking color… Although the painter’s tape was still slightly easier to work with.

Giving this a shot next. Thanks for the input everyone. I know ultimately this will come down to personal preference. Silly to think I give af what the back of a comic book looks like haha

1 Like

Wow… I never knew. I totally need that now, thank you.