Poyo's FOC Highlight Books for Last Call 10/18/2021 šŸ“¢

FOC is the last chance to put in your orders with your comic shops and likely get at a discount for pre-ordering.

Itā€™s a bigger FOC week, unlike last week. Some good potential I think for reading and specā€™ing.

Phenom X #1 is a new Image book written by actor John Leguizamo, so Iā€™m gonna check this one out as I like him as an actor.

Phenom X #1 (Cover B - McFarlane) - Could be a ā€œkeyā€ cover issue one dayā€¦ cause you know, McFarlane rarely lends a hand with variant covers for others. :wink:

Phenom X #1 (Cover A - Muniz)

Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #1 (2nd Ptg) gets the second print treatment. I knew this one would. Itā€™s a great read so far and Iā€™m looking forward to the next issue Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #2 which is also on FOC this week.

Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #1 (2nd Ptg)

Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #2

Radiant Black #10 Blacklight Ed is tempting just to actually buy a black light and put it up on display in a dark area of my house. Who am I kidding, Iā€™m gonna buy one anyways even if I donā€™t display it.

Radiant Black #10 Blacklight Ed

Echolands #2 (2nd Ptg Cover A - Wlliams III) gets a second printing. This is on my short pile of books to read as Iā€™ve been trying to get to them as Iā€™ve heard nothing but great things.

Echolands #2 (2nd Ptg Cover A - Wlliams III)

Iā€™m a sucker for a good eye reflection cover and Star Wars High Republic Adv Monster Temple Peak #4 (of 4) goes out in style to end this mini-series I think cover wise.

Star Wars High Republic Adv Monster Temple Peak #4 (of 4)

House of Slaughter #1 gets some second printings along with a LCSD edition. You can still find the first prints just about everywhere so why this is getting a second printing? I donā€™t know, itā€™s certainly a BOOM! tactic to make their books seem more in demand I think than they really are. Itā€™s working too, all you chums will go out and buy the 2nd prints knowing they have a likely smaller print run and push those on the secondary market.

Iā€™m weary on spin-off titles spun from the other successful titles. If thereā€™s ever any heat, it always seems short lived. House of Slaughter saw a huge print run as retailers were chasing the incentives while also hoping a repeat of SIKTC.

Hereā€™s the HoS on FOC thoughā€¦

House of Slaughter #1 (2nd Ptg Cover A - Mercado)
House of Slaughter #1 (2nd Ptg Cover B - Mercado Foil)
LCSD House of Slaughter #1 (2nd Ptg Card Stock Variant)

House of Slaughter #1 (2nd Ptg Cover A - Mercado)

LCSD House of Slaughter #1 (2nd Ptg Card Stock Variant)

Regarding Matter of Oswalds Body #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Luca) looks like a potential great I think. I love the JFK conspiracy stories and this one aligns well with me.

Regarding Matter of Oswalds Body #1 (of 5) (Cover C - FOC Reveal Variant)
LCSD 2021 Regarding Matter of Oswalds Body #1 (of 5) (Sook Card Stock Variant)

Regarding Matter of Oswalds Body #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Luca)

Chicken Devil #2 is on FOC this week. I havenā€™t read the first issue yet myself (itā€™s on pre-order and I switched to monthly shipments instead of bi-weekly). But Iā€™m hoping this turns out to be a great read as the premise for the plot is spot on.

Chicken Devil #2

Out #2 is another title Iā€™m hoping ends up being a great read. Still waiting on my first copy to arrive but Williams rarely lets me down on story and being this is WWII related, I just have high hopes for the title.

I rarely ever find myself specā€™ing or checking out Dynamite books but who doesnā€™t love a good TMNT homageā€¦

Nyx #1 (Cover O - FOC Bonus TMNT Homage Haeser Variant)

Nyx #1 (Cover O - FOC Bonus TMNT Homage Haeser Variant)

Thereā€™s also a pretty rad Besch variant for this one as well. I donā€™t normally buy ratio variants at premium prices but these are temptingā€¦

Nyx #1 (Cover B - Besch)
Nyx #1 (Cover M - Besch Ltd Virgin)
Nyx #1 (Cover N - Besch Premium Metal)

Nyx #1 (Cover B - Besch)

Itā€™s already made some popular media headlines but Superman Son of Kal-El #5 (Cover A - John Timms) is on FOC and expect a bigger print run to anticipate the non Wednesday Warrior crowds to seek these out after news hit of Superman being bisexual.

The real winner though is Superman Son of Kal-El #2 which has Jayā€™s first appearance in it.

Superman Son of Kal-El #5 (Cover B - Inhyuk Lee Card Stock Variant)
Superman Son of Kal-El #5 (Cover C - Travis Moore Card Stock Variant)

Superman Son of Kal-El #5 (Cover A - John Timms)

Captain Marvel #34 is one to watch. The solicitation reads as it could hold a surprise. The teaser variant I think might be telling us a bit moreā€¦ (Itā€™s displayed on Previews but I wonā€™t post here for those who actually like surprises).

Captain Marvel #34 (Spoiler Teaser Variant)

Captain Marvel #34

Daredevil #36 also solicits some big happenings in itā€™s final issue (I had no idea it was ending, I guess a reboot is upon us).

Daredevil #36 (Foreshadow Variant)
Daredevil #36 (Cabal Stormbreaker Variant)

Daredevil #36

Hawkeye Kate Bishop #1 (of 5). I like Kate Bishop as Hawkeye. I think they should drop the Kate Bishop from the title thoughā€¦

Hawkeye Kate Bishop #1 (of 5) (Noto Variant)Hawkeye Kate Bishop #1 (of 5) (Nauck Headshot Variant)
Hawkeye Kate Bishop #1 (of 5) (Young Variant)

Hawkeye Kate Bishop #1 (of 5)

Star Wars Darth Vader #18 Wobh already had a cool cover and then they release the Star Wars Darth Vader #18 (Lashley Variant) Wobh which was equally as awesome. I was gonna buy both already before seeing them, itā€™s Darth Vader. These Vader series keep pumping out a lot of firsts that go on to be winners on the secondary market. Itā€™s a no brainer buy for me.

Star Wars Darth Vader #18 Wobh
Star Wars Darth Vader #18 (Lashley Variant) Wobh
Star Wars Darth Vader #18 (Sprouse Lucasfilm 50th Variant) Wobh

If you havenā€™t read it, you should and while most of the past issues are out of reach to buy and to read individually (you donā€™t want to handle them anyways unless you just donā€™t care about retaining their condition and value), the next best thing now is to just buy Thor by Jason Aaron Omnibus Hardcover Vol 01.

The first two arcs in this are one of the best Marvel reads this century if you ask me.

Thereā€™s also the Thor by Jason Aaron Omnibus HC Vol 01 Quesada Dm Var variant cover. Iā€™d stick with the Ribic myself (depicted below).

Thor by Jason Aaron Omnibus HC Vol 01 Ribic Cover

If you missed out on the floppy copies, Geiger TPB Vol 01 is on FOC and is the next best way to catch up on this series out of Image for pretty cheap, much cheaper than buying the individual copies to read.

Geiger TPB Vol 01

I am surprised at the cost of the Geiger TPB. Even at pre-FOC discount on the single issues the TPB is the way to go. All issues in one book for 50% of the original single issue price.

Kinda makes me not want to buy floppies anymore and just wait for TPBs and Omnibi

I do that for a lot of books now, especially for indiesā€¦ buy the first copy for the potential spec if it heats up along for the read to see if youā€™re gonna like it.

1 Like

I used to do that, but over time you will hemorrhage value. Most TPB have little resell value. I really regret doing that for years.

First edition trades can do okayā€¦ but Omnibuses are a completely different beast. Those over time can really appreciate.

2 Likes

Omnibi?

1 Like

What?

Did you also ā€œthrow awayā€ your foreign language requirement on Latin classes?

Oh, he was asking about omnibus in plural format? To my knowledge, omnibuses is actually a valid way when using in plural format.

Omnis works for me.

Ya some Omnibus can go up in value between printings. Ive still found that trade waiting is wasting a lot of money unless you just dont care about that.

1 Like

I buy trades mostly to read titles I either: a) donā€™t want to handle my floppies, b) donā€™t want to buy all the floppies and or c) floppies are all back issues and are/is costly