Poyo's Spec & Drek for April 21st, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec and drek, the 16th edition for 2021. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover. I also dive into the pesky drek, the book you should probably avoid if you can or perhaps not invest so heavily into.

First of all, if you missed out on your copy of Tankers #1, TFAW has them in stock. Better grab your copy for they eventually sell out. These are still selling anywhere from $25 to $40. Prices are dropping from their high initial sales but cover price sure beats secondary prices if you missed out on pre-orders.

Now on with the picks!

Marvel Picks

Alien #2 (Hans Variant) is just a sweet looking Hans variant. I’m picking his one over the regular cover.

Alien #2 (Hans Variant)

Captain Marvel #28 is a great cover and did Carol get some Strange powers? I’m behind on this series but the cover has got me thinking I need to catch-up.

Captain Marvel #28

Star Wars Doctor Aphra #9 solicits links to the High Republic. I’m an Aphra fan but managed to buy the first two issues of this new volume, then dropped the ball and just now picking these back up again. Finding some of these issues has been a little hard for me at my local shops…

Star Wars Doctor Aphra #9

DC Picks

Batman Fortnite Zero Point #1 is finally out, with the Fortnite redeemable code you can use to get a Harley Suit in the game. Apparently this suit can be purchased as well, but for how much? Still not stopping some from selling these in pre-sales upwards of almost $20.

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Orphan and the Five Beasts #2 is out and I enjoyed the first issue. Big fan of Stokoe’s work so it’s a must pickup for me.

Orphan and the Five Beasts #2

Godzilla Monsters & Protectors #1 (Cover B - Photo Cover) is just a great cover, for any Godzilla fan. This one is already sold out at Midtown.

Godzilla Monsters & Protectors #1 (Cover B - Photo Cover)

Geiger #1 already came out but the Glow in the Dark variant hits stands this week. It’s already selling for $10+ on pre-sales that are mostly auctions.

Many Deaths of Laila Starr #1 (of 5) is a new BOOM! series that looks interesting. For fans of The Wicked & Divine and The Dreaming. Has potential and let’s just hope BOOM! doesn’t act like BOOM! to create a lot of false demand with any potential additional printings… since you know, there’s already a 2nd printing: Many Deaths of Laila Starr #1 (of 5) (2nd Ptg Ward Variant).

There’s a bunch of ratio variants for this one as well. Finding for cheap or cover could be worthy quick flips.

Many Deaths of Laila Starr #1 (of 5) (Cover B - Death Foil Variant)

Many Deaths of Laila Starr #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Andrade)

I’m only picking Orcs #3 (of 6) (Cover A - Larsen) since I just love the artwork. Totally gives that Where the Wild Things Are type of vibe for me.

Orcs #3 (of 6) (Cover A - Larsen)

The indie winner this week might go to You Promised Me Darkness #1. Since pre-sales for the regular cover A is already seen sales as high as $36 or so. Don’t forget to grab a copy at the local shop if you didn’t pre-order this one.

Now on with the dreaded “drek” pick, every writer and artists worst nightmare when it comes to selling their hard work.

The book(s) to avoid or not fall victim to in buying at inflated prices, whether it’s false demand, pump and dump or out of FOMO.

Do not spend all that money on the Joker #2 1:50 Hairsine Variant. You’ll be crying in a few months when it’s a fraction of the crazy selling price they’re going for right now. FOMO is real. If you can’t resist buying modern books for that much money, you should seek out professional help with your spending habits. The name of the game is, buy low, sell high… not buy high cause you got FOMO!

Throw this advice out the window though if you’re filthy rich and buying for the personal collection.

6 Likes

The Harley Quinn suit in the Batman Fortnite book is the only thing that can’t be purchased in the store (until June 21st I think). All the other books items will be in store the day of release. I don’t know if you can purchase the Armored Batman Suit that you get from redeeming everything yet.

2 Likes

Good thing DC made these returnable.

Not the most inspiring of weeks! You Promised Me Darkness has a really interesting premise and I am looking forward to reading it. Haven’t read Geiger yet, but another one that looks good.

1 Like

Yeah, more of a reader week to be honest. I guess we’ll find out in another week which books were winners in the one week later report :wink:

1 Like

Nice job on the list @agentpoyo, as always. Looking forward to “ you promised me darkness” hope it lives up to the hype.

Me too. If it doesn’t, you all can request @Anthony throws some rotten tomatoes at me while chained in his basement…

1 Like

I’ll do that even if all your picks are 1000% flip profit this week

1 Like

Have to thank you though! Couldn’t find any of the 1:5s for YPMD, but after reading the article I had one last roll of the dice and found two at cover price. Cheers : )

1 Like

Vietnam Horror #2 is out this week too right? Issue #1 is bringing decent money. I have yet to see it in my LCS.
Don’t forget the “You promised me Darkness” nude variants for the 18+.

I believe it is out this week. I was a turd and forgot to pre-order so I might have to hit the local shop to snag my copy.

Hairsine cover isn’t all that nice. I like the Spiderman facsimiles, which has been mentioned on the forum somewhere. Variants are shorter term enjoy and forget.

None of my LCS had Batman Fortnite out. Probably took them and are holding to sell later, don’t know. You promised me darkness, same story.

Batman fortnite is the talk of the morning so far. Shops sold Out. Youtubers that do FOC didnt know about the codes. LoL it’s like even w/o Chu forums this was all over FB but somehow it went unnoticed by the FOMO makers (Youtubers/KeyC etc). Good job on the Alert about the book because even without the code the book is being spoken about of and sought after.

2 Likes

Same over here. Shop only had 4 issues because they got shorted (I trust these guys). Hoping my TFAW order goes through because I preordered a lot of them. I Promised You Darkness also got shorted over here and I was limited to one of the covers only, which never happens. Picked Cover A (I’m amazed at how well this simple advice works…thanks @agentpoyo).