Poyo's Spec & Drek for February 10th, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec and drek, the 6th edition for 2021. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover. I also dive into the pesky drek, the book you should probably avoid if you can or perhaps not invest so heavily into.

Pumping these out early since I think a large majority of our audience will be tuned into the Super Bowl this coming Sunday.

Marvel Picks

Eternals #2. I have yet to read the first issue. I skimmed it and saw the spoilers but I really need to sit down and read it so I can hopefully keep up with what I hope is a great new series in preparation for the upcoming movie, if it ever happens before we all die.

Eternals #2 (McKelvie Variant)
Eternals #2 (Nauck Headshot Variant)

Darth Vader #10 is just a great looking cover. Simple yet elegant in it’s own way. Love it and love the series. Always potential for spec (first appearances) with these Vader titles.

Star Wars Darth Vader #10 (Sprouse Empire Strikes Back Variant)

Star Wars High Republic #1 3rd Printing. Just grab at least one copy, could turn out to be an easy winner one day.

DC Picks

Future State Teen Titans #1 2nd Printing that has Red X on the cover. Already selling well on the secondary market with pre-sales. It’s an easy flip but the price might start to drop once people get their hands on copies come Wednesday.

Then there is also the Future State Teen Titans #2 Variant B that is now selling well with pre-sales. People got bad case of FOMO apparently… But could be easy flip if you get your copy and sell fast.

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Black Hammer Visions #1. Always a winner for me. It’s not written by Lemire but it’s still likely to be good.

Black Hammer: Visions #1 (Gilbert Hernandez with Dave Stewart Variant Cover)
Black Hammer: Visions #1 (Evan Dorkin with Sarah Dyer Variant Cover)

Radiant Black #1 is the new Kyle Higgins book out from Image. I think they’re anticipating this one to be bigger. I’m still up in the air, I think the first issue was a bit clunky so hopefully it gets better.

Orcs #1 from Kaboom! seems like a great book for the young-lings (or for you fans of Adventure Time. We’ve seen the kid friendly books catch heat in the past so if this one pans out, could be worthy and if not, maybe the kids will enjoy it.

Shepherd #1 is a new Scout Comics book that dives into the supernatural thriller genre. I read it already. It starts off kind of odd, then dives into the origin. There was enough to perk my interest to see where it continues but definitely a slow story build up. This is one of those first issue then read in entire first volume later books from Scout.

Now on with the dreaded “drek” pick, every writer and artists worst nightmare when it comes to selling their hard work.

The book to avoid or not fall victim to in buying at inflated prices, whether it’s false demand, pump and dump or out of FOMO.

I Walk With Monsters #1 got a second printing? Not sure how many others read this first issue so I’d love to see what others thought of the story. Myself, I was not impressed. It was definitely a book I didn’t even have to have a second thought about reading the second issue…

2 Likes

Hey, I thought, “I Walk With Monsters,” was kinda interesting.

I read I Walk With Monsters and liked it. It’s funny, books Poyo doesn’t like I end up liking, Department of Truth for example. It’s always good to have a difference of opinion.

2 Likes

You know, wife loves avocados while I dislike them… It’s perfectly okay if you like a book while someone else doesn’t like. What I don’t get is when people seem to get offended over it…

2 Likes

I’m not offended, just surprised as our tastes seem to sync-up a decent amount of the time.

Oh I didnt get the impression you were offended… I was speaking of others…

Me? I am offended you would think I am offended.

My life goal is to offend you @Anthony

The Black Hammer Milk and Cheese cover is cool! Although I am probably the only Milk and Cheese fan on earth. Good article.

2 Likes

I love milk and cheese and have damn near every appearance.

1 Like