Poyo's Spec & Drek for May 19th, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec and drek. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover. I also dive into the pesky drek, the book you should probably avoid if you can or perhaps not invest so heavily into.

Marvel Picks

Can Mark Russell bring his A Game like Zdarsky did for Spider-Man Life Story with the new Fantastic Four Life Story #1 (of 6)? I am not normally on the Fantastic Four wagon as I grew out of this team long ago but maybe Russell can change that with this mini-series. I must admit though, I’m really digging the Marcos Martin variant for this one. It’s got that Aja retro type of style to it.

There’s also a Fantastic Four Life Story #1 (of 6) (Booth Variant) which isn’t half bad either.

Fantastic Four Life Story #1 (of 6)

Immortal Hulk Time of Monsters #1 is introducing the Original Hulk? What? This has been on some people’s radar for quite sometime so I’m not expecting much but a hopeful good read. If it does heat up, might take a while depending on what’s going on inside and how the readers, collectors and speculators respond to the story and potential firsts within.

There’s also a variant B for this one by: Immortal Hulk Time of Monsters #1 (Rob Lim Variant)

Immortal Hulk Time of Monsters #1

If you’re a Star Wars fan, then you already likely have Star Wars Bounty Hunters #12 on your pre-order or pick-up list for this Wednesday. This one reads as if there’s a potential first in it… “A dark secret from Valance’s past connection to HAN SOLO may get him killed all these years later. But who is the mysterious leader of an assassination squad that is driving Valance into a life-and-death confrontation with his old friend?”

Might be worth keeping an eye on for any firsts that could prompt to pick up some additional copies for the short or long term potential.

The other variants for this one:
Star Wars Bounty Hunters #12 (De Iulis Crimson Variant)
Star Wars Bounty Hunters #12 (Sprouse Empire Strikes Back Variant)

Star Wars Bounty Hunters #12

Star Wars High Republic has some of it’s additional prints hitting shelves this week. Here they are:

Star Wars High Republic #1 (5th Ptg) - Already sold out at Midtown.
Star Wars High Republic #2 (4th Ptg)
Star Wars High Republic #3 (3rd Ptg)

For you Alien and Omnibus fans, there’s the Aliens Original Years Omnibus coming out this week. Great way to get most of the original issues all in one instead of spending a lot of time hunting these down and or small fortune for some of them depending on grade. This omnibus collects the following issues:

DC Picks

Batman Fortnite Zero Point is almost a no brainer at this point. Easy flips because people want the codes. You’re not gonna get rich but you can easily double your money.

Batman Fortnite Zero Point #3 is out this week and most online retailers are sold out already. You can nab the 2nd printing on pre-order though.

As a long time fan of Legends of the Dark Knight, this is a must for me. Legends of the Dark Knight #1 has a pretty cool cover by Darick Robertson, very retro looking. I’m loving how they’re keeping the border like the original volume as well. The Team Variant done by Francisco Francavilla is for people like me who love them some Francavilla pulp style artwork. It’s gonna cost you a few more pennies though…

Joker #2 second printing hits stands this week. First one I think caught most by surprise and this one will be easy to come by. Prices already dropped though for the first printing. I wouldn’t go heavy on this one but it does have the new gal on the cover. If you do buy, it’s for the long haul.

Wonder Girl #1 is going to have a huge print run. This is a the second volume. It’s worth a checkout but I would not invest too heavily in copies of this one as I think they’ll be sitting in the longbox for a very long time. So if you’re patient, it might work in your favor but if you want the quick flip, skip it. For you DC fanatics and readers/collectors, it’s a likely must pick up.

Wonder Girl #1 (1:50 Joelle Jones)
Wonder Girl #1 (Cover B - Bilquis Evely Card Stock Variant)
Wonder Girl #1 (Cover C - Blank Card Stock Variant)
Wonder Girl #1 (Team Cover Rafael Grampa Card Stock Variant)
Wonder Girl #1 (Bartel TFAW Exclusive Full Trade Variant)
Wonder Girl #1 (Bartel TFAW Exclusive Minimal Trade Variant)

Wonder Girl #1 (Cover A - Joelle Jones)

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Rangers of the Divide #1 could be a fun read.

Rangers of the Divide #1

Geiger #1 (3rd Ptg) is fun. Don’t stare too long at the cover though.

Geiger #1 (3rd Ptg)|700pxxauto

Nottingham #3 is already selling for around $30 on pre-sales. Geez, hope you locked in your pre-orders early on for this one.

There’s already a 2nd printing available now for pre-order.

Been waiting for this one myself. Red Room #1 finally comes out. Even if it doesn’t heat up, I’m hoping for some good entertainment by just reading it.

There’s some ratio and store exclusives for this one that could see some love on the secondary market though.

Red Room #1

Strange Attractors #1 from It’s Alive is another indie book I’ve been looking forward to. Don’t get it confused with Soule’s Archaic title though (which is still a great read by the way if you’ve never read it).

Vietnam Horror #3 has been a great read for me and hasn’t been heavily ordered as most retailers seem to sell out quickly and I’m being a turd, forgetting to put in my own orders for copies.

Now on with the dreaded “drek” pick, every writer and artists worst nightmare when it comes to selling their hard work.

The book(s) to avoid or not fall victim to in buying at inflated prices, whether it’s false demand, pump and dump or out of FOMO.

Silk #1 Wooh 1:25 2nd print variant. Didn’t we already get this cover as a regular ordered variant? Why would anyone spend more than a penny on this ratio is beyond me. Save yourself some dollars and just buy the first print variant for cover price.

3 Likes

Dead on for the drek. Why make a ratio variant of an already published open variant? Dumb.

1 Like

The Silk 1:25 was originally solicited as a B&W sketch cover. Will see what it looks like when it’s live. Would be very odd for just a title color change to be a 1:25.

Blue background too… behind Silk, seems like the door is open where as the first printing variant of this had the door closed.

See below:

1 Like

That Silk variant is just U…G…L…Y…

1 Like

Collecting ugly covers is a thing I’ll never get into, but I know people that do it.

I expect great things from the Wonder Girl series as long as the writer isn’t changed.

I do normally enjoy me some Joëlle Jones myself.

You think that “eye” on the cover could be “first cover” for whatever is introduced in issue 12?

Not much of a cover appearance…cameo cover appearance…

:grin:

Trying to decide which one to grab. I think cover A is most likely 1st cover as the hulk has a “cave man” like garb…but not sure what to think of the scarecrow dude on cover B…

Yes, click the link and buy them all to corner and own the market! :wink:

Look no further than the Gleason cover for Alien 1. All they did was change the sunspot from green to red and people went ape poop. Not me, but people.

Alien was actually a sketch cover. You can see the removed detail in the jaw throughout and also the gray on the right side. It’s the raw version of the art.

I don’t know why they changed it to red though.

Well I guess I was fooled, haha.

Completely understandable. They didn’t make a lot of effort to make it standout.

That silk cover is just :nauseated_face:

Ok so now that the book is out, do we consider Immortal Hulk Time of Monsters to be a first appearance of Prehistoric Hulk, an Origin of the Green Door / Immortal Hulk, or a little of both?

Im not a Hulk reader (not saying it isn’t a good series, I just haven’t been reading it), but I snagged one copy to as a "wait and see ".

Also, I really liked Wonder Girl. It was a lot of set up, but it feels like something big is afoot. I also dig Jones’ art and writing style.