Poyo's Spec for August 4th, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover.

It’s a big week this week, particularly for the smaller publishers and indie titles coming out that are on my picks. So hang on…

Marvel Picks

Not a lot of Marvel books grabbing my attention this week on potential spec. There might be a surprise though but since I try to base my picks ahead of time on just series or title along with the solicitation, here’s my picks for Marvel.

Star Wars War of the Bounty Hunters 4-Lom Zuckuss #1. Gotta love all these War of the Bounty Hunter books and tie-in’s. Anything could happen and a first appearance is one of those a lot of folks seek. If no firsts, I’ll be happy with a good story and art.

Star Wars War of the Bounty Hunters 4-Lom Zuckuss #1 (Zama Variant)
Star Wars War of the Bounty Hunters 4-Lom Zuckuss #1 (Wanted Variant)

Star Wars War of the Bounty Hunters 4-Lom Zuckuss #1

And the new Deathstick continues in Star Wars Bounty Hunters #15 (War of the Bounty Hunters).

Star Wars Bounty Hunters #15 (Wanted Poster Variant War of the Bounty Hunters)
Star Wars Bounty Hunters #15 (Sprouse Lucasfilm 50th Variant War of the Bounty Hunters)

Star Wars Bounty Hunters #15 (War of the Bounty Hunters)

Spirits Of Vengeance Spirit Rider #1 is a one-shot but I love me some Ghost Rider. This is not Kushala’s first appearance, rather making her way into the Marvel Universe in Doctor Strange and the Sourcerers Supreme #1 (which is around a $40+ book now). Hunt those back bins, I’m sure you can still find these out in the wild… and while hunting, seek out Doctor Strange and the Sourcerers Supreme #3 as well, it’s her first cover and it’s commanding $40+ as well on it’s own.

Also note, this one-shot is written by the Black Eye Peas member Taboo and B Earl.

Avengers #47 continues with the World War She-hulk story line. Hopefully something pans or comes out good from this story to create some buzz.

Avengers #47

Shang-Chi gets second prints for Issue #1 and Issue #2. Both BW variants. Could be worthy pickups since we all know the new craze is the smaller print run additional prints down the beaten path that start to see demand due to limited supplies.

DC Picks

I’d buy this one just for the cover alone. DC Horror Presents the Conjuring the Lover #3 (of 5) (Cover A - Bill Sienkiewicz)

Love a good Joker title and I’m digging this Chip cover A for Joker Presents a Puzzlebox #1 (of 7) (Cover A - Chip Zdarsky)

Swamp Thing #6 (of 10) (Cover A - Mike Perkins) continues the mini-series that’s been a entertaining read along with some really great cover art.

Swamp Thing #6 (of 10) (Cover A - Mike Perkins)

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Lucky Devil #1 is a new Cullen Bunn book I’m looking forward to coming out of Dark Horse.

Lucky Devil #1

I’ve mentioned this one I think several times, in my Previews picks and then FOC but for you Star Trek fans, this is a must I think with Star Trek Debt of Honor (Facsimile Ed).

Star Trek Debt of Honor (Facsimile Ed)

And for you TMNT fans collecting these particular one-shot issues, this one is for you all: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Best of Casey Jones.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Best of Casey Jones

Geiger #5 (Cover A - Frank & Anderson) has been a fantastic read so far. First issue seeing some demand and heat, things have settled down but still a must pickup for those reading this story.

Geiger #5 (Cover B - Ordway)
Geiger #5 (Cover C - Pelletier)
Geiger #5 (Cover D - Frank)

Geiger #5 (Cover A - Frank & Anderson)

Now all the Stray Dogs final printings (I think that was the case right?). Might not see as much love as the previous printings but still cheap gambling for the just in case at retailer or slightly discounted prices still.

Stray Dogs #1 (5th Ptg Cover A)
Stray Dogs #1 (5th Ptg Cover B- Blank)
Stray Dogs #2 (4th Ptg)
Stray Dogs #3 (4th Ptg)
Stray Dogs #4 (4th Ptg)
Stray Dogs #5 (2nd Ptg Cover A)

Me You Love in the Dark #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Corona) was a great read. I’m fully onboard already with this one. If you liked Middlewest, you’ll definitely like this one.

Me You Love in the Dark #1 (Eryk Donovan TFAW Exclusive Variant)

Me You Love in the Dark #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Corona)

Trover Saves the Universe #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Stone) is a title I’m hoping is just a fun read.

Trover Saves the Universe #1 (of 5) (Cover B - Roiland & Stone)

Trover Saves the Universe #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Stone)

Love the old school retro of Hyperthick #1. Floating World Comics is about as indie as they come so don’t expect to find this one at most shops. Even a spot check of online retailers don’t show them available or in stock.

Not All Robots #1 (Cover A - Rahzzah) is a title I’ve been really looking forward to. I really hope it ends up as a great read and if it heats up due to story or art, even better.

Not All Robots #1 (Cover B - Deodata Jr)

Not All Robots #1 (Cover A - Rahzzah)

Hero Trade: Passive / Aggressive (A Double-Dealing, Double-Barrelled One-Shot) is a new Bad Idea book. It’s a one-shot and heavier price tag. Could be worthy like a few other Bad Idea books that have gone on to heat up. The plus side is Matt Kindt is writing, so no heat, hopefully good story to get your money worth out of it.

Hero Trade: Passive / Aggressive (A Double-Dealing, Double-Barrelled One-Shot)

We Promised Utopia #1 is going to be non-existent at a lot of shops. Just like Hyperthick, super indie book likely overlooked by most retailers. I love indie titles so I’m all in on checking this one out.

We Don’t Kill Spiders #1 is a new Scout title hitting shelves. It was on my list of check out books. I like Vikings.

1 Like

You can get Hyperthick direct from Floating World still, if interested:

Yeah, but we weary, last time I ordered from them… no bags, boards and rigid mailer with not much protection.

Good to know. Wasn’t sure if anyone had ever ordered anything from them. I’ll find it elsewhere.

Sorcerers Supreme #3 isn’t her first cover. She appears on at least one of the variants for #1. I think she might be pictured on the regular cover in the background as well.

#3 Variant is awesome. One on the Bay now:

Alright, #3 is her first Full cover… :wink:

1 Like

Ya she is on the #1 1:25 but I think most would consider #3 the first cover. She’s buried in the background of #1. And #3 has a great cover.

#3 is a great cover for her…