Poyo's Spec for July 28th, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover.

Marvel Picks

Amazing Fantasy #1 I hope is going to be Amazing. If the writing sucks, at least we’re getting some damn cool Kaare Andrews covers for this series.

Star Wars High Republic #7 is gonna be a must for Star Wars fans and those who like to speculate since it has some firsts in it. Already sold out at TFAW and Midtown still has them at 1 per.

If you’re not on our forums, we got long running topics that usually chat up all these Star Wars news and details way ahead of time.

Star Wars #15 (War of the Bounty Hunters) has just an option cover. It’s also WOBH so anything could happen within.

Star Wars #15 (War of the Bounty Hunters)

It’s probably not going to heat up but it’s still a cool 2nd print cover for X-Factor #10 (2nd Ptg Baldeon Variant Gala). As we all know Scarlet Witch won’t be dead for long.

X-Factor #10 (2nd Ptg Baldeon Variant Gala)

DC Picks

Batman Secret Files Huntress #1 is on my list of books to check out. Love the cover.

Batman Secret Files Huntress #1 (Cover A - Irvin Rodriguez)

Icon & Rocket Season One #1 (of 6) has my interest as well. These one off stories seem to be more interesting coming out of DC than their main character titles for me.

Icon & Rocket Season One #1 (of 6) (Cover A - Taurin Clarke)

Legends of the Dark Knight #1 (2nd Ptg) is a pretty cool variant for the new Quiz character that made her way into this issue.

Legends of the Dark Knight #1 (2nd Ptg)

Batman Reptilian #2 (of 6). I’ve been digging these covers from Liam Sharp. I still haven’t read the first issue, it’s in the stack so I’m hoping it’s a good read as Ennis rarely disappoints.

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Star Wars Adventures #7 has been on Pre-Order for what seems like forever. I think I pre-ordered this sucker back in January. It’s finally here and it apparently introduces the new character Crimson Corsair.

Usagi Yojimbo #20 (2nd Ptg) is already sold out at Midtown, still available at TFAW. For you first appearance chasers and completists, this is a must.

Runes #1 is a book I pointed out a few weeks back and in my Indie Spotlights. I love a good Viking story and this one might be good, I hope.

Runes #1

Swamp God #1 (of 6) is a Heavy Metal book I"m looking forward to. The Civil War junkie in me is hoping a great read.

Swamp God #1 (of 6)

2 Likes

Amazing Fantasy is right up my alley. I will be buying every issue, regardless of spec.

4 Likes

Crimson Corsair was in The Force Awakens series a few years ago.

Wasn’t Force Awakens a cameo?

Were they? If they were, then first cover appearance then… that’s what makes this one special. :wink:

Also a brief cameo in star wars adventures ashcan.

Is Crimson Corsair non-binary?

cameo for sure, un-named as well, just a guy sitting in a bar

both pages he is on in the book https://2.bp.blogspot.com/hXBEfA8ckNG8iZStx0Djz69iCc4fYuOKOTfpalBfrCx2xTo8IAS6-epdmjGWqfPPQF-z2qakt0ob=s1600
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/MRgjk1wgTYZ0wJPZjOL-eanmIBizx5we0As3DG5XPowofJ_IZ433Fs_txmSkj9IQfFV00fMX1BEa=s1600

1 Like

Claims are made the character is a male but this is Star Wars, where all kinds of weird aliens exist. Can never be too sure. Why is this important though? I don’t particularly know how Delphidian anatomy down below works… :wink:

1 Like

These covers are some of the best in recent memory. As @agentpoyo said, even if the story blows, I’ll happily buy them for the covers.

2 Likes

Could be a guy/gal with the same armor or helmet on as well, for all we know… :wink:

very true

He’s in issue the force awakens #4 as well. Him speaking in issue #3 also helps it.

I feel like we need a @drunkwooky official stance here…

3 Likes

the only page i saw him in #4 which is even more of a cameo than #3
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/kvUVZ2dr9nRD8h3kWEFUeaxCvDTsTNJ_K-cvB7CGMt_St7xTKwXRUzZHdOjUnUOYg1_DZDmNbWLF=s1600

1 Like

Can’t be weirder than a cat penis.

“Star Wars Adventures will be the Crimson Corsair’s first full appearance and the Brokenshire cover B will be his first cover appearance.”

Force Awakens 3 he has one dialogue balloon in an alien language. Not named. Cameo.

3 Likes

Watch it be a last page cameo where he doesn’t speak, but I doubt it.

Nah. These SWA issues have two stories. They don’t have any room for those shenanigans. Crimson Corsair will be front and center of the backup story.

3 Likes