Poyo's Spec & Picks for Dec 8th, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover.

Marvel Picks

Captain America Iron Man #1 (of 5) kicks off a mini-series that I’m hoping for a good read. Maybe there will be surprises. Gotta love and enjoy the Alex Ross regular covers for this series.

Captain America Iron Man #1 (of 5) (Kubert Infinity Saga Variant)
Captain America Iron Man #1 (of 5) (Clarke Infinity Saga Variant)
Captain America Iron Man #1 (of 5) (Jurgens Variant 1:25)

Captain America Iron Man #1 (of 5)

Devils Reign #1 is out this week and as I’m usually hesitant and wait on event books nowadays, this one I’ll likely be picking up since Chip Z. is on writing duties.

Inferno #3 has a pretty kick ass Vega Variant.

Star Wars Crimson Reign #1 is a must for any Star Wars fan and just for the potential spec.

And there’s also Star Wars #19 (War of the Bounty Hunters) hitting shelves this week. There’s a pretty cool Gist Variant as well.

Star Wars #19 (Christopher Action Figure Variant) Wobh
Star Wars #19 (Sprouse Lucasfilm 50th Variant) Wobh

Star Wars #19 (War of the Bounty Hunters)

DC Picks

An all new team takes over Batman with Batman #118. So I’ll be checking out this new chapter in the life of Batman leaving Gotham, with a new character already being introduced to kick things off. Abyss might show up in this issue or the next, maybe a brief first appearance (some call it cameo, I don’t like that definition anymore) but is on the cover for Batman #119.

Batman #118 (Cover B - Francesco Mattina Card Stock Variant)
Batman #118 (Cover E - Viktor Bogdanovic Card Stock Variant) - This has several variations, save your money and stick to the cover priced issue I say!
Batman #118 (Jock 1:50 Variant)

Batman #118 (Cover A - Jorge Molina)

Arkham City the Order of the World #3 (of 6) has been a great read so far. I love these one off stories that don’t include the primary superheroes of the DC Universe.

Arkham City the Order of the World #3 (of 6) (Cover A - Sam Wolfe Connelly)

I’m loving Hotz variant for DC Horror Presents Soul Plumber #3 (of 6) (Cover B - Kyle Hotz Card Stock Variant).

DC Horror Presents Soul Plumber #3 (of 6) (Cover B - Kyle Hotz Card Stock Variant)

And I’m digging the regular cover for Joker Presents a Puzzlebox #5 (of 7) by Chip Z. Anyone reading this? I opted to potentially wait for the trade for this series.

Joker Presents a Puzzlebox #5 (of 7) (Cover A - Chip Zdarsky)

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Daisy #1 might have potential on a good read. Any heat I think would probably come later if optioned, etc.

Daisy #1

Whats the Furthest Place From Here #2 hit shelves this week. First issue was great. I haven’t had the chance to read and review this one yet but hoping it carries over from the first as a great read.

Whats the Furthest Place From Here #2 (Cover B - Shalvey)
Whats the Furthest Place From Here #2 (Deluxe Edition 2nd Pressing)

Whats the Furthest Place From Here #2 (Cover A - Boss)

Love this cover for Billy The Kit #3.

Devil Tree #1 gives me some Pet Sematary vibes. I’m in it only if the first issue has good writing.

Devil Tree #1 (Cover A - Wolfgang Schwandt)

Mother F Goose One Shot #1 (Cover A - Eisma) had me on the regular cover alone. There’s a Pulp Fiction Homage Variant out there as well.

Mother F Goose One Shot #1 (Cover A - Eisma)

1 Like

My LCS uses ComicHub and I can sew that they have my copy of Captain America and Iron Man already in store and set aside for me. I can’t wait to read it and it kills me that I gotta wait till Wednesday.

1 Like