Poyo's Spec & Picks for Oct 20th, 2021

Welcome to this weeks spec. This is where we pick the winners each week we (or shall I say myself) think will be spec worthy, a great read or just cool looking art on the cover.

Don’t forget, there’s a 75% Off Sale still happening at TFAW and at Midtown this week.

Marvel Picks

Death of Doctor Strange #2 brings forth a really kick ass RB Silva Stormbreakers variant.

Fantastic Four #37 has a pretty cool Dodson regular cover I’m digging.

Fantastic Four #37

Phoenix Song Echo #1 (of 5) has potential. Hoping for a decent story and read but will settle for some spec as well. Her first appearance in Daredevil #9 is a winner book if you can find one at a good price.

Phoenix Song Echo #1 (of 5) (Yu Variant)
Phoenix Song Echo #1 (of 5) (Carnero Stormbreakers Variant)
Phoenix Song Echo #1 (of 5) (Nauck Headshot Variant)

Phoenix Song Echo #1 (of 5)

Star Wars High Republic #10 is a must for obvious reasons. The Jeanty Variant is pretty awesome as well.

Star Wars High Republic #10 (Jeanty Variant)
Star Wars High Republic #10 (Wijngaard Variant)

Star Wars High Republic #10

DC Picks

Batman Secret Files Peacekeeper-01 #1 (Cover A - Rafael Sarmento) has a really cool cover.

There’s also a 1:25 of it as well that’s just limited trade dress from the regular (keep a look out at your shops, some might lump these in with the regulars not realizing it’s the 1:25) : Batman Secret Files Peacekeeper-01 #1 (Cover C - 1:25 Rafael Sarmento Card Stock Variant)

Batman Secret Files Peacekeeper-01 #1 (Cover B - Tyler Kirkham Card Stock Variant)

Batman Secret Files Peacekeeper-01 #1 (Cover A - Rafael Sarmento)

I love Shazam #4 (of 4) (Cover B - Will Murai Card Stock Variant) cover art. Buying for the cover art on it’s own!

Shazam #4 (of 4) (Cover B - Will Murai Card Stock Variant)

I think I’ve mentioned this before but this one had me at it’s title alone… Refrigerator Full of Heads #1 (of 6) (Cover A - Sam Wolfe Connelly)

Refrigerator Full of Heads #1 (of 6) (Cover B - Reiko Murakami Card Stock Variant)

Refrigerator Full of Heads #1 (of 6) (Cover A - Sam Wolfe Connelly)

Indie and Small Publisher Picks

Critical Role: Tales of Exandria I #1

And for you slab fans, TFAW has Critical Role: Tales of Exandria I #1 (David Mack TFAW Exclusive Variant) - CBCS 9.8 Blue Label for only $49.99. That’s about the same price you’d spend if you got it slabbed yourself when you include shipping to and from, packing materials, cost of book and costs to pay for the grading.

Critical Role: Tales of Exandria I #1

Love this Star Wars Adv Ghost Vaders Castle #5 (of 5) (Cover B - Charm) as well. Great Vader cover (The Francavilla regular is a must for any FF fan as well).

Star Wars Adv Ghost Vaders Castle #5 (of 5) (Cover B - Charm)

King Spawn #3 (Cover A - Glapion) is a buy for the cover art. I’m not even a Spawn fan and I can appreciate this one. And why is just about all the Image titles this week already sold out at Midtown? They holding out on copies for a signing? There’s no way they’re already sold out of Gunslinger Spawn (and others)! That book you buy if you like Gunslinger, but don’t read it, unless you want your brain to turn to mush by losing IQ points in the process.

King Spawn #3 (Cover A - Glapion)

Hard Case Crime Gun Honey #1 gets a Second Printing. Midtown and most other shops already sold out. A quick scan on eBay, doesn’t look like any are listed. I expect this one to be a ghost… good luck if you find one. I’m buying if I see them as they could turn out to be a great quick flip for those seeking them out.

KCC is saying Gun Honey was limited print run to 2000. Could be true, I had pre-orders cancelled at a couple stores.

A lot of the Image books are being delayed due to printing issues…like the rest of the publishers.

I wonder if we’ll see more of Reed’s sister in FF #37 and hopefully some movement in the Thanos narrative in Thor.

I’m getting tired of waiting for more of that Thanos vision to be touched upon. I feel like it is gonna be a big event when it happens.

2 Likes

So we’ll get a bunch of filler material and drivel until then.

Until the vision becomes a big event that happens? Probably a lot of filler. Maybe good filler that builds up an event tho…maybe.

We’ll be waiting for 2 years by then. Decompressed storytelling at it’s finest.

IF there are any huge Refrigerator Full of Head fans, the original art for issue #1 is on sale:

https://cadencecomicart.com/artist.php?artist=72&book=2940

1 Like